Injury Report: Adam Erne hit on Jonathan Drouin | Drouin out with a mild concussion

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I don't think there's any doubt that entire teams keep track of Drouin whenever he's on the ice. He's a guy you gameplan for.

The fact that it WAS Drouin might actually explain Erne's thinking. As in, maybe there was a bit of pressure on him, if only from himself, to make sure he played just as physically against Drouin as all the other Mooseheads. That would at least make it understandable if he got caught up in the moment and didn't want it to look like he was taking it easy on Drouin, rather than being focused, as he should have been, on the fact he was about to hit somebody from behind. Just a thought. Obviously there's no way to know what he was thinking.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I don't think there's any doubt that entire teams keep track of Drouin whenever he's on the ice. He's a guy you gameplan for.

The fact that it WAS Drouin might actually explain Erne's thinking. As in, maybe there was a bit of pressure on him, if only from himself, to make sure he played just as physically against Drouin as all the other Mooseheads. That would at least make it understandable if he got caught up in the moment and didn't want it to look like he was taking it easy on Drouin, rather than being focused, as he should have been, on the fact he was about to hit somebody from behind. Just a thought. Obviously there's no way to know what he was thinking.

He was thinking it was a clean hit and Drouin took a dive, he said it himself.

AimForTopCheddar

trust the yzerplan
Feb 7, 2012
Calgary
Wow honestly. You don't do that kind of bush league crap to a potential teammate. How can I be a fan of Erne when he does this kind of crap to a future star like Droun :rant:

It was a bad a play and he's young but still...that is freakin' Drouin he just concussed :facepalm:

Last edited:

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Drouin be good to go for the WJC in my opinion. Now that things are a little more clear I can forgive Erne as a fan. The hit wasn't awful, just had a ugly result. His comments after the game were unacceptable, but I'm sure he'll be straightened out and he will mature from this. Hopefully we can all get this behind us.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
http://metronews.ca/news/halifax/88...ident-drouin-will-be-ready-for-world-juniors/
Team Canada brass is expecting Jonathan Drouin to be ready for the World Junior Championship.

When, well that’s another matter.

“I expect that Jonathan at some point, whether that’s in Toronto or Europe, will play,” said senior director of hockey operations and national teams Scott Salmond. “I expect that he’ll be prepared and ready to go by the tournament, for sure. But that’s a pretty broad statement without having him evaluated.”
...his status was day to day.

But Drouin is expected to be in Toronto for the opening of Team Canada’s training camp on Thursday where a team doctor will evaluate him.

“The indications are is that he’s going to be okay,” said Salmond. “We’ll all be relieved when we see Jonathan on the ice in a Team Canada jersey.”
http://www.news957.com/2013/12/11/d...mp/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter
Jonathan Drouin will travel on Thursday to Toronto to attend the Canadian World Junior Hockey Selection Camp.
“We are hopeful that the rapid improvement that he has made since Friday night is going to continue,” said Halifax Mooseheads owner Bobby Smith.

“I’ve got the medical reports on my desk now that show some improvement since Friday night and Saturday morning,” said Smith “Hopefully he will be 100 per cent shortly and will be ready to play.”

fitchjr1

Dec 24, 2006
Syracuse NY
This situation brings up the awkwardness of the NHL and their "minor leagues". No other sport would this even be possible, to play against another "minor leaguer" from your team. It brings up the question, do you show allegiance to your current team or someone that will soon be a teammate?

While I understand the whole CHL/NHL agreement, this doesn't happen if you have a normal minor league like baseball, etc..instead of a restrictive minor league.

MikeyP

Oct 1, 2013
Halifax
This situation brings up the awkwardness of the NHL and their "minor leagues". No other sport would this even be possible, to play against another "minor leaguer" from your team. It brings up the question, do you show allegiance to your current team or someone that will soon be a teammate?

While I understand the whole CHL/NHL agreement, this doesn't happen if you have a normal minor league like baseball, etc..instead of a restrictive minor league.

How about allegiance to the rules and you know, not putting an illegal hit on someone. How about allegiance to using your damn head.

This teammate thing is just clouding the real issue here. A player should be able to compete against a future teammate, relative, buddy without reservation so long as they play within the rules.

They were roommates; who knows maybe Jo is a flipping idiot and Erne hated rooming with him. But that stuff has to stay off the ice.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
How about allegiance to the rules and you know, not putting an illegal hit on someone. How about allegiance to using your damn head.

This teammate thing is just clouding the real issue here. A player should be able to compete against a future teammate, relative, buddy without reservation so long as they play within the rules.

They were roommates; who knows maybe Jo is a flipping idiot and Erne hated rooming with him. But that stuff has to stay off the ice.

This 100%. Future teammate issue aside, it was not a hockey hit. It was penalty worthy and, in my opinion, suspension worthy. The post game comments just made it even worse in my mind.

Steve Yzerman

A New Season Begins
Mar 11, 2013
Mississauga
Cmon, don't try to act like this is about a bad hit from Erne. Sure that's a part of it, but the real anger here is that he hit his potential future teammate and current top prospect of the organization. Would you guys be just as upset on Panik's hit if he hit Kucherov in practice like he hit Alzner?

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
Cmon, don't try to act like this is about a bad hit from Erne. Sure that's a part of it, but the real anger here is that he hit his potential future teammate and current top prospect of the organization. Would you guys be just as upset on Panik's hit if he hit Kucherov in practice like he hit Alzner?

this was terrible hit from erne.

I think the panik hit is a joke.

Don't care who was on other end. One was 8 games other a minor. Just shows one league has no clue and other is in fear. concussion sue ing is the fear?

So no to me is pretty cut and dried. Dont care was alzner or drouin. Is one was very stupid bad hit other was a whatever.

Words afterwards didnt help with erne for me at all.

I also thought the cowen hit was a joke compared to erne hit. Just my take on situations. Seems NHL is gonna make it no contact or something.

Q someone will have to die?

Tampa Bay Kiwi

Apr 23, 2013
this was terrible hit from erne.

I think the panik hit is a joke.

Don't care who was on other end. One was 8 games other a minor. Just shows one league has no clue and other is in fear. concussion sue ing is the fear?

So no to me is pretty cut and dried. Dont care was alzner or drouin. Is one was very stupid bad hit other was a whatever.

Words afterwards didnt help with erne for me at all.

I also thought the cowen hit was a joke compared to erne hit. Just my take on situations. Seems NHL is gonna make it no contact or something.

Q someone will have to die?

Wake up mate, Panik hit a guy who was in a vulnerable position to go head first into the boards.

Ernes hit wasn't worth an 8 game suspension. 1-2 games would have been sufficient, wasn't really that bad. It was just exaggerated because of who he it.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/jr...rouin-questionable-canada-camp-010616064.html
“It’s getting better,” said Drouin on Thursday, after arriving at Toronto’s Pearson International Airport. “I’m not at the point of skating right away. We’re taking it day-by-day. When I see the medical staff from Team Canada … when they (give) me the OK, I am going to go on (and play).”

Drouin said he was without any headaches on Wednesday, but on Thursday he said he had some “light headaches, probably because of the flight.”
“You can’t expect him to be on the ice tomorrow,” said Sutter. “We’ll monitor him as this goes along … obviously there’s no rush or panic because we have a few days before we need to be concerned about anything.”

There’s even a chance Drouin won’t skate at all during camp, since they don’t really need him until Canada opens the 2014 tournament in Malmo, Sweden, against Germany on Dec. 26. When asked whether he expected Drouin on the ice at camp in Toronto, Sutter’s response was, “no, I’m not expecting that, but let’s just see what happens.”

MikeyP

Oct 1, 2013
Halifax
Ya I'm not saying a bunch of suspended games, but I think there should have been a number greater than zero.

MikeyP

Oct 1, 2013
Halifax
The Q league is a bleeping joke when it comes to disciplinary action. Last year during the presidents cup BC was down 2 games to 1. They are losing game 4, 7-4 with less than a minute left in the game and call a time out. When play resumed, this happened:

Banville runs Fucale run into the net (funny aside, both the coach and Banville claimed Lewis cross-checked him from behind, clearly this was not the case) and then when Fucale skates into the corner away from the ensuing melee, Poulin skates off to the corner after him and knocks him down (obviously well after the whistle). To say nothing of the disciplinary action against the coach that should have happened (but didnt), the end result was:
Banville: 2 game suspension for running the goalie
Verpaelst: 1 game suspension (fighting)
Lewis: 1 game suspension on an aggressor penalty (seriously) after taking on the guy who ran his goalie well after the whistle and out of the play.
Poulin: 2 minutes for roughing

Note: Baie Comeau coach was/is pretty much a crazy man.

PS: Man I sure miss Trey Lewis :cry:

Roz

Jul 2, 2013
NS
Veilleux should have gotten a fine or suspension given a) that his team was involved in a post-game brawl earlier in the playoffs and b) Banville's actions occurred after a time out. Poulin probably should have gotten a match penalty for holding onto his gloves and stick during the fight, because that's dangerous as hell. But those are the only issues I take with the disciplinary decisions on this incident.

Trey Lewis was clearly on the side of angels taking on Poulin & Verpaelst, and his fight with them will probably always be one of the greatest Moosehead moments of all time. But he attacked a player who was restrained against the boards by a referee. You simply cannot do that without getting an aggressor penalty, no matter how righteous your actions. The aggressor penalty carries an automatic one game suspension - it wasn't a supplementary discipline issue. Trey sacrificed himself to stick up for Fucale, and that's what makes him one of the greatest Mooseheads captains ever....but the league made the right decision.

To bring this back on topic: the problem is, of course, that other textbook illegal/dangerous plays - like Erne's hit and Sorensen's cross-check - do not get supplemental discipline. This inconsistency makes the Q look unprofessional and helps fuel conspiracy theories, and it does not exactly fill NHL teams/agents/fans with confidence that their highly-drafted prospects are being protected. This is a year where there are two players in the Q who are playing so well that people are questioning whether the CHL/NHL agreement should be modified. With the Erne decision, the Q has given its detractors a load of free grist. That's puzzling, to say the least.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ

http://www.tsn.ca/world_jrs/story/?id=438844
Drouin said he feels better, but it's up to the doctors to say if he can skate.

"I want to get on the ice with the guys as soon as possible, but it's my health and I'm not going to push it," said Drouin, the third-overall pick in the NHL draft in June by the Tampa Bay Lightning. "But it's not me deciding those things. It's more medical testing to make sure I'm fine in my head."
Ryan Jankowski, the junior team's top scout, said the experience Drouin acquired last season has made him a better player.

"He's been through a lot," said Jankowski. "Winning a Memorial Cup and being part of the world juniors was huge for him, but now he's taking his game to the next level.

"His game has changed. He's more complete, but he has also raised his offensive game to dominate more than he did last year, if that's possible."

TSN vids:

WJHC: Jonathan Drouin Profile

WJHC: Making The Trip

WJHC: The Key to Success

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/juniors/canada-has-question-marks-as-wjhc-cuts-loom/
The team will play three pre-tournament games — Friday against Finland, Sunday against Sweden and the following day against Switzerland. Sutter hopes to make the cuts after the first exhibition game so he can use the full squad for the last two.

The key question is high-scoring winger Jonathan Drouin, who is recovering from a concussion but who expects to resume skating when the team arrives in Sweden on Monday.
http://translate.google.com/transla...ts.ca/hockey/drouin-fait-des-progres-15122013
Forward Jonathan Drouin believes that soon jump on the ice with his teammates for the Canadian junior hockey training.
Over the past two days, the hope of Tampa Bay is exercised on a stationary bicycle, without any symptoms of a concussion.

"It's really a good thing and now we will work a little harder, Sutter had commented on the site NHL.com, yesterday. Then, it will be on the ice and see if it runs smoothly in her case, "he had issued, adding that his protege had gotten better and his progress was going well.

In fact, Drouin said he did not feel any symptoms for three days.

"Pedaling on a stationary bike is not what is the most fun in the world, but that's part of the protocol," said the young man of 18 years on Sunday, also on the official site of the National Hockey League.

This is the first time Drouin answered questions from reporters since his arrival at the camp Thursday night. At that time, he was still suffering from weak headaches. However, they were perhaps due to the flight from Halifax to Toronto.

"I'm starting to get used to [the plane] and I hope to skate in the near future."
"I'm ready for anything, has he added. But I'll go one day at a time and play as I have always done in the past, hoping that everything goes well. "
Moreover, Drouin confessed that he felt pressure to recover quickly from his concussion. Today, however, he sees the light at the end of the tunnel.

"Obviously, you want to represent your country at the World Junior Championships and when it happened [injury], I made sure to properly recover. I feel like the last few days. "

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
http://www.tsn.ca/world_jrs/story/?id=439147
Jonathan Drouin returned to the ice for the first time since sustaining a concussion in early December, practicing with the Canadian junior team in Copenhagen Monday.

"It's exciting," Drouin said. "It's boring to be out. You really can't do much with a concussion. I'm excited to be back on the ice with the guys. Hockey Canada told me from the beginning, 'We're not going to push you right away. We want you to be healthy,' and I feel healthy now and I think it was the right thing to do."
"We got to make sure [even] now that he's OK," said head coach Brent Sutter, "see how he responds tomorrow and if he responds the right way then we got to think he's on his way."

tsn vids:

WJHC: Back on Ice

WJHC: Touching Down

CarpeNoctem

Chilling w The Chief
Oct 29, 2013
In The Night
I wish they'd keep him out another few weeks. Not anything to do with the concussion but to gain strength and mass. Get him more pro-ready.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I wish they'd keep him out another few weeks. Not anything to do with the concussion but to gain strength and mass. Get him more pro-ready.

The WJC is probably the biggest developmental benefit of Drouin being sent back to junior this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad