Adam Boqvist vs. Cale Makar

Who?

• Total voters

Tv9924

Sep 16, 2012
Surrey, BC
Makar seems to be getting very underrated on this site lately for some reason. People are even saying Quinn Hughes is better than him. That’s a joke.
Hughes performed similarly to Makar in the NCAA despite being a year younger and played in the WHC, why do you think that it's a joke if people think Hughes is better?

I'd take Makar over Boqvist because Boqvist's injury history scares me.

Reactions: ColoradoCanes

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Hughes performed similarly to Makar in the NCAA despite being a year younger and played in the WHC, why do you think that it's a joke if people think Hughes is better?

I'd take Makar over Boqvist because Boqvist's injury history scares me.

Not similarly. Hughes outperformed Makar by a wide margin while being a year younger.

Hughes .78 ppg
Makar .61 ppg

Hughes was also 3rd on his entire team in scoring.

Its not a stretch to say he's the better prospect.

Reactions: Castle8130

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
Pretty good pole, both are very similar defensive prospects and I had to homer vote this one. I'm also down on Makar more than most and I do think Hughes is better than him to reply to the poster above.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Makar seems to be getting very underrated on this site lately for some reason.

While I would say Makar had a good season for a 19 year old in the NCAA and he did nothing to knock him down from being picked 4th last year, nothing stands out to make you say wow this guy is an elite prospect that stands out above all the rest

Just to put Makar's points in perspective, he had 2 more points in 6 less games then a guy the Islanders drafted in the 3rd round

Cale Makar hockey statistics and profile at hockeydb.com
Ben Mirageas hockey statistics and profile at hockeydb.com

I am not saying Mirageas is on par with Makar, but when their stats are relatively close it doesn't make Makar look like he is doing something outstanding

Last edited:
Reactions: Ookhaab

Jarey Curry

Avalanche of Makar
May 2, 2015
Finland
While I would say Makar had a good season for a 19 year old in the NCAA and he did nothing to knock him down from being picked 4th last year, nothing stands out to make you say wow this guy is an elite prospect that stands out above all the rest

Just to put Makar's points in perspective, he had 2 more points in 6 less games then a guy the Islanders drafted in the 3rd round

Cale Makar hockey statistics and profile at hockeydb.com
Ben Mirageas hockey statistics and profile at hockeydb.com

I am not saying Mirageas is on par with Makar, but when their stats are relatively close it doesn't make Makar look like he is doing something outstanding
He did nothing? You joke?

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
People should stop assuming NCAA has any homogeneity in scoring. It's not the NHL, it's not the OHL, it's not the Q, it's different.

Both are similar here, but Boqvist is the smarter player IMO, both have really similar tools, Boqvist has a much better wrister though, which is something, consider Makars shooting.

Reactions: Jordan Belfort

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
Considering Maker (Oct/1998) is almost 2 years older than Boqvist (Aug/2000), maybe it's kinda pointless to compare them at this time. Boqvist is still just 17. Most players get bigger and improve a lot from when they were 17.

Jordan Belfort

Jan 13, 2016
Anaheim CA
Not similarly. Hughes outperformed Makar by a wide margin while being a year younger.

Hughes .78 ppg
Makar .61 ppg

Hughes was also 3rd on his entire team in scoring.

Its not a stretch to say he's the better prospect.
Lol Umass vs Michigan? Yea those programs are just as good as each other. Do you have any idea about college hockey?

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Lol Umass vs Michigan? Yea those programs are just as good as each other. Do you have any idea about college hockey?

I bet youve never even heard of the top 4 forwards of Michigan besides Cooper Marody. The other players were nobodies before Hughes got there.

3 of their top 4 scorers were undrafted and were 10 point players before Hughes got there. But yeah okay let's pretend Michigan recruited well and were more stacked than UMass.

Jordan Belfort

Jan 13, 2016
Anaheim CA
I bet youve never even heard of the top 4 forwards of Michigan besides Cooper Marody. The other players were nobodies before Hughes got there.

3 of their top 4 scorers were undrafted and were 10 point players before Hughes got there. But yeah okay let's pretend Michigan recruited well and were more stacked than UMass.
Because they are? Hahah Michigan is a top 5 program in the nation.... Umass isn’t even top 20. So yes they are way more stacked. Was this your first year paying attention to college hockey?

Elias Pettersson

I'm not a troll
Jan 22, 2014
Reactions: DominicBoltsFan

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
nothing stands out to make you say wow this guy is an elite prospect that stands out above all the rest
Yeah, I guess, except for his extraordinary physical and cerebral tools, like his explosive skating, great shot, vision, defensive stickwork, crisp passing, etc.

Development isn't linear.

I take Makar here btw but Boqvist is a tantalizing talent himself that I'd love to have in the system. I just think Makar has the tools to become a true elite #1D (however improbable it may be that he attains that lofty level) and see Boqvist as having a ceiling of more like an top end #2 guy. Makar's superior defensively, has the size advantage, and honestly I think he's at least on par with Boqvist in terms of offensive ability.

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
Yeah, I guess, except for his extraordinary physical and cerebral tools, like his explosive skating, great shot, vision, defensive stickwork, crisp passing, etc.

Development isn't linear.

I take Makar here btw but Boqvist is a tantalizing talent himself that I'd love to have in the system. I just think Makar has the tools to become a true elite #1D (however improbable it may be that he attains that lofty level) and see Boqvist as having a ceiling of more like an top end #2 guy. Makar's superior defensively, has the size advantage, and honestly I think he's at least on par with Boqvist in terms of offensive ability.

Again - 2 years difference in age. Wouldn't a better comparison be Maker 2 years ago when he was the same age as Boqvist right now. Usually there is a huge improvement in physical maturity between 17 and 19 and often times a lot of improvement in a players game. I'm not saying Boqvist will have a better career than Maker - only that Boqvist is at a disadvantage being compared to a player 2 years old and farther along in his development.

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
Again - 2 years difference in age. Wouldn't a better comparison be Maker 2 years ago when he was the same age as Boqvist right now. Usually there is a huge improvement in physical maturity between 17 and 19 and often times a lot of improvement in a players game. I'm not saying Boqvist will have a better career than Maker - only that Boqvist is at a disadvantage being compared to a player 2 years old and farther along in his development.
I'm not seeing my post in the same light you are. What I said pretty much ignores production in Makar's D+1 season and doesn't disparage Boqvist's lack of a D+1 season, I didn't say a single word about how Makar had progressed this past year. Nothing has changed in the way I view his potential from last year. I would have said the same thing back when Makar was drafted. He's just a better prospect in terms of his raw tools and upside than Boqvist IMO. Maybe Boqvist has a ridiculous D+1 season and improves upon his weaknesses, then I might change my mind!

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,217.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $400.00