Speculation: Acq/ Rost. Bldg./ Cap Part XXVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Capathetic

May 26, 2011
My god the Habs fans on the main board basically asking for our entire franchise for Markov.

I struck a nerve when I said the caps had a ton of space to throw him an offer. I still don't think it's out of the question. They have a lot of prospects in that spot and the Russian factor.

People must've forgotten Alfie leaving Ottawa already. It can happen.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
I struck a nerve when I said the caps had a ton of space to throw him an offer. I still don't think it's out of the question. They have a lot of prospects in that spot and the Russian factor.

People must've forgotten Alfie leaving Ottawa already. It can happen.

I don't know about that idea. He's 35 with injury history, if he's gonna leave a familiar place he'll probably want a multi-year deal, that's a lot of risk... or he'll go to a powerhouse team to win. I'd love to see him with the Caps theoretically, but don't really see it.

SkinsFan09

Jun 10, 2009
Brooklyn
New forward lines at practice:

Johansson-Backstrom-Brouwer
Fehr-Grabovski-Ovechkin
Chimera-Erat-Ward
Volpatti/Laich-Beagle-Wilson

Ovechkin will actually be a duel threat to pass the puck now at least. Still wish MoJo was back at center but it's a necessary change.

swimmer77

More PIM's than Points
Jun 22, 2010
in water
Really don't see the need for Markov. Gathers a lot of points on the PP. Oates has trouble finding a spot for Green on the PP. And Markov looks like he has been slowing down as the season progresses. And last but not least he's never done much in the playoffs if in fact he makes it to the playoffs.

Having said those things maybe it would be a good fit.

Stewie G

Needed more hitting!
Oct 19, 2009
Hamilton-burr-duel.jpg

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Agreed on Markov not being a good fit. While I guess he'd be an upgrade over Orlov/Scmidt as Green's partner, he's still not the type of player we need to pair with Green. And his biggest weapon (PPQB) is not an area of need on this team.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
I'm assuming Markov plays left point on the PP, so yeah, not really a need there. He'd be an ok replacement for Green but he's still not a great fit.

Looking ahead to the 2014 D UFA class....hot garbage.

MrGone

Nov 18, 2009
I'm assuming Markov plays left point on the PP, so yeah, not really a need there. He'd be an ok replacement for Green but he's still not a great fit.

I really hope something like that does not lead to GMGM giving Mike Green a long term raise. He is already making 6mill now.

What's next the Dion Phaneuf 7x7? :help:

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia

It pretty much always is. Though I would love to add Pitkanen, MacDonald, Orpik, Niskanen, or Greene.

dillyboy93

Dec 3, 2012
Canada
Anyone else want Konopka? Good faceoff guy, can play.

Mojo-Backstrom-Ovie
Fehr-Grabovski-Brouwer
Chimera-Laich-Ward
Volpatti/Beagle-Konopka-Wilson

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
4C is not a significant issue with this team. Konopka isn't a significant upgrade, anyway, and certainly not worth sinking some of the little cap space and trade resources we have into acquiring.

e; Didn't realize Konopka was on waivers. Still meh.

Last edited:

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Thoughts on Erat for Briere? A pair of players who just aren't fitting in with their "new" teams but have shown more before. Erat passes the eye test better than Briere, and Briere is a right shot (of which we have plenty on the wings). But Briere is better at center (and lord knows we need a real 3C), and we are short on RH centers. Briere also has scored a goal this season (multiple actually!). :laugh:

Not in love with the concept, but we could certainly do worse. We even save $0.5M on the cap hit.

Capathetic

May 26, 2011
Thoughts on Erat for Briere? A pair of players who just aren't fitting in with their "new" teams but have shown more before. Erat passes the eye test better than Briere, and Briere is a right shot (of which we have plenty on the wings). But Briere is better at center (and lord knows we need a real 3C), and we are short on RH centers. Briere also has scored a goal this season (multiple actually!). :laugh:

Not in love with the concept, but we could certainly do worse. We even save $0.5M on the cap hit.

I'm sure George has already had preliminary discussions about Burakovsky and Erat for Briere and Diaz. ugh man it's not even funny anymore. He must've felt sorry for the preds lack of offense and said we got this extra first round pick but keep it a secret.

fsnoles98

Mar 16, 2009
This team is a straight up mess. Unload some dead weight. This tea, need some changes in a bug way. GMGM and Oates aren't going anywhere. How many quality players can we get for Green, Erskine, Erat, Neuvy and why not throw in Ovi. We might actually be able to get some solid players that play solid 2 way hockey. Just stirring the pot due to frustration.

fedfed

@FedFedRMNB
Oct 28, 2010
Moscow City
This team is a straight up mess. Unload some dead weight. This tea, need some changes in a bug way. GMGM and Oates aren't going anywhere. How many quality players can we get for Green, Erskine, Erat, Neuvy and why not throw in Ovi. We might actually be able to get some solid players that play solid 2 way hockey. Just stirring the pot due to frustration.

I know it's not webiquette-ish to make fun of typos, but man, that's an early POTY-candidate material.

KevinM

Feb 7, 2012
D.C.

I haven't followed how Montreal has been doing this season apart from seeing them in the standings, but if they'd be willing to trade Erat (+ AHL plug?) for Briere I think that'd be a big win for us. Plus GMGM would get hard at the thought of having another player with a reputation for stepping up in the playoffs.

I imagine Briere would have a lot more value than Erat though.

Last edited:

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
Based on what they have done over the last couple seasons I can't see how Briere has any more value than Erat. He makes 500k less with the same term as Erat but is 4 years older.

From an on ice perspective I like the idea of a guy playing his actual position so there is that but when the Caps are healthy up front I'm not sure where he would fit. I'm not sure how he would fit on the PP either.

I think this would simply be exchanging one poor fit for another.

It was interesting looking at Briere's contracts on CapGeek though. His cap number with the Flyers would have been $6.5 mil but he was only due to make $3 mil this year and $2 mil next year on that deal. So they buy him out and thus owe him $833k this year and the next 3 years and he signs a 2 year $4 mil per deal with the Habs. So instead of making 'just' $5 mil this year and next with the Flyers he is making $9.667 over that same time and still has another $1.667 mil coming to him over the following 2 years in buyout money.

fedfed

@FedFedRMNB
Oct 28, 2010
Moscow City
Based on what they have done over the last couple seasons I can't see how Briere has any more value than Erat. He makes 500k less with the same term as Erat but is 4 years older.

From an on ice perspective I like the idea of a guy playing his actual position so there is that but when the Caps are healthy up front I'm not sure where he would fit. I'm not sure how he would fit on the PP either.

It was interesting looking at Briere's contracts on CapGeek though. His cap number with the Flyers would have been $6.5 mil but he was only due to make $3 mil this year and $2 mil next year on that deal. So they buy him out and thus owe him $833k this year and the next 3 years and he signs a 2 year $4 mil per deal with the Habs. So instead of making 'just' $5 mil this year and next with the Flyers he is making $9.667 over that same time and still has another $1.667 mil coming to him over the following 2 years in buyout money.

It's really interesting, and amnesties were owners' "win" in the CBA negotiations.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I haven't followed how Montreal has been doing this season apart from seeing them in the standings, but if they'd be willing to trade Erat (+ AHL plug?) for Briere I think that'd be a big win for us. Plus GMGM would get hard at the thought of having another player with a reputation for stepping up in the playoffs.

I imagine Briere would have a lot more value than Erat though.
Dating back to last season, Briere looks pretty "done." There's a reason, beyond just his $6.5M cap hit on his previous contract, that the Flyers bought him out. He's been a healthy scratch for the Canadiens multiple times this season, and has been seeing limited minutes when he does play (uner 13min/night).

That being said, he does have 5 goals while playing those limited minutes in pretty defensive situation (in just 29 games). Nothing to write home about, but he's had some production in a depth role already.

What do you expect we can get for Erat at this point? It's going to be players who have been poor fits with their team, or have questionable contracts, or are slumping, etc. Briere at least has some upside and a resume of playoff success.

Is it ideal? No, but you have to limit your expectations about Erat's return at this point. He's a $4.5M player with term remaining and zero goals on the season. GMs aren't exactly going to be lining up to take him.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
What do you expect we can get for Erat at this point? It's going to be players who have been poor fits with their team, or have questionable contracts, or are slumping, etc. Briere at least has some upside and a resume of playoff success.

Is it ideal? No, but you have to limit your expectations about Erat's return at this point. He's a $4.5M player with term remaining and zero goals on the season. GMs aren't exactly going to be lining up to take him.

At this point I'd much rather trade Erat the C/LW for Erat the RW and give that a try for a while before ditching him for someone I am pretty sure isn't going to help the team any more than out of position Erat is at the moment.

Erat is 100% an NHL player. I'm not so certain Briere still is...

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
At this point I'd much rather trade Erat the C/LW for Erat the RW and give that a try for a while before ditching him for someone I am pretty sure isn't going to help the team any more than out of position Erat is at the moment.

Erat is 100% an NHL player. I'm not so certain Briere still is...

If requesting a trade isn't damning of the organization enough, not honoring that trade request will only serve to further damage the organization in the eyes of players. He's got to be moved sooner or later, and he hasn't backed down on his demand (as Orlov has).

Beyond that, what RW spot do we have to give him? The right side is still overloaded as it is, without mixing in Erat. Oates' handedness preferences aren't going away, we just have to learn to live with them. Erat isn't going to fit here, while Briere could at least provide something in the way of depth scoring. I think he'd fit well between Chimera and Ward, and certainly no worse than Erat currently is.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
If requesting a trade isn't damning of the organization enough, not honoring that trade request will only serve to further damage the organization in the eyes of players. He's got to be moved sooner or later, and he hasn't backed down on his demand (as Orlov has).

Beyond that, what RW spot do we have to give him? The right side is still overloaded as it is, without mixing in Erat. Oates' handedness preferences aren't going away, we just have to learn to live with them. Erat isn't going to fit here, while Briere could at least provide something in the way of depth scoring. I think he'd fit well between Chimera and Ward, and certainly no worse than Erat currently is.

I don't really care about his trade request at this point because he is out there playing hard though it is very clear he is not a centerman. The idea that he was traded for and then traded away within a year or so without ever playing a single game at this natural position is absurd IMO.

Move Brouwer to the left for a while to open up a spot on the right for Erat and slot Johansson in between Chimera and Ward. If Oates can accept Fehr on the left side he can accept Brouwer also IMO.

I'm ok with trading Erat to fill a need but I don't want Briere. I'd rather keep Erat and continue to play him out of position that trade him for Briere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad