Speculation: Acq/ Rost. Bldg./ Cap Part XXII

Status
Not open for further replies.

dillyboy93

Dec 3, 2012
Canada
First off alot of this is pretty hopeful guesses especially the Giordano salary retainment amount and I would also take Hainsey at 1 million if the rumours are true about him but anyway

Mojo+Orlov+1st or 2nd for Giordano 40% salary retained
Cleary at 925k

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Eric Fehr ($1.500m) / Nicklas Backstrom ($6.700m) / Alex Ovechkin ($9.538m)
Martin Erat ($4.500m) / Mikhail Grabovski ($3.000m) / Troy Brouwer ($3.667m)
Brooks Laich ($4.500m) / Mathieu Perreault ($1.050m) / Joel Ward ($3.000m)
Dan Cleary ($0.925m) / Michael Latta ($0.786m) / Jay Beagle ($0.900m)
Aaron Volpatti ($0.575m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Karl Alzner ($2.800m) / Mike Green ($6.083m)
Mark Giordano ($2.412m—40.0%) / John Carlson ($3.967m)
Steven Oleksy ($0.542m) / John Erskine ($1.963m)
Jack Hillen ($0.700m) /
GOALTENDERS
Braden Holtby ($1.850m)
Michal Neuvirth ($2.500m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $63,457,128; BONUSES: $195,000
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $1,037,872

brs03

Coo coo ca cha!
Jun 2, 2008
Maryland
Cleary's knees bother me. If you're projecting that roster with cap space, I'd rather go after a guy like Raymond and fill out from the top down (granted, I have no idea what kind of money Raymond's looking for).

Interesting idea though.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Cleary's knees bother me. If you're projecting that roster with cap space, I'd rather go after a guy like Raymond and fill out from the top down (granted, I have no idea what kind of money Raymond's looking for).

Interesting idea though.

I work with huge wings fan and from what he says those knee are in rough shape.

brs03

Coo coo ca cha!
Jun 2, 2008
Maryland
I work with huge wings fan and from what he says those knee are in rough shape.

I mean, there's an article from a year(?) or so back where he talks about literally having no cartilage left in one knee or something like that. I'd rather not go down that road.

brs03

Coo coo ca cha!
Jun 2, 2008
Maryland
Raymond would probably be too expensive for a forth line role. Also, at this point, Chimera>>>Cleary. Cleary is done.

Raymond wouldn't be brought in for the 4th line in my mind though. You bring him in for the 2nd or 3rd (this was assuming MoJo is traded) and let Chimera play the 4th.

Also, I don't care who's too expensive for what role if the Caps have the cap space to spare. I'd rather have good players if they can afford them; 4th liners making 4th line money generally suck in comparison.

Vladiator16*

Makes sense. He hasn't been remotely the same since Bourque.

No, it doesn't. Although he hasn't been lights out, he still should've made the list, Carter is like 18th or something.

Agree with Dr JC, awful list.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
backstrom just isn't trendy. he was 16th in scoring and 3rd in assists in the nhl. if 3rd in assists/41 in 48 games isn't top 50 in the league, then adam oates isn't hall of fame.

just for giggles I googled top 50 nhl players 2013 and the Toronto Sun had Backstrom at 43.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
Backstrom has been almost completely ineffective at even strength since coming back.

If we're trading a package of Johansson, Orlov, and a 1st, we better be getting a whole ****ing lot more back than Mark ****ing Giordano.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
any player 3rd in the league in assists is elite. even strenth or not. his even strenth play is very likely temporary anyway.

Johansson for Giordano is probably over pay. orlov and a pick is more like it. I doubt either happen, though being out of town I could easily miss something

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
any player 3rd in the league in assists is elite. even strenth or not. his even strenth play is very likely temporary anyway.

Being 3rd in the league in assists, in a shortened season, with most of them coming on an overachieving power play does nothing whatsoever to mitigate concerns about a player's even strength play, especially considering that player is not the reason the power play overachieved.

What makes you think his even strength play is temporary?

fedfed

@FedFedRMNB
Oct 28, 2010
Moscow City
Backstrom has been almost completely ineffective at even strength since coming back.

If we're trading a package of Johansson, Orlov, and a 1st, we better be getting a whole ****ing lot more back than Mark ****ing Giordano.

I'd think adding Glencross would make it a fair deal. Flames fans are convinced though that he is more than satisfied with having a five-month vacation every year won't waive his NTC.

brs03

Coo coo ca cha!
Jun 2, 2008
Maryland
Being 3rd in the league in assists, in a shortened season, with most of them coming on an overachieving power play does nothing whatsoever to mitigate concerns about a player's even strength play, especially considering that player is not the reason the power play overachieved.

What makes you think his even strength play is temporary?

He was their leading scorer at ES. That leads me to believe that those issues, whatever they are (30 points in 48 games is not bad, though, ~20th in the league) are not isolated to him alone. The team took quite some time to find any sort of groove at ES.

Last edited:

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Can't help but wonder if Backstrom will ever feel any heat. Long past time for him to rebound...

I mean what happened to his appetite for shooting on goal? Used to be a credible threat to shoot, but is slowly turning into Oates in that perspective.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
if you take the 33 goals out of his career he wouldn't have been that far off his typical performance last season. his assists per game was up enough to make him a point per game player. his second best season was 88pts in 82 games. 48 in 48 is about where he belongs.

a quick look at the numbers and backstrom was the caps leading scorer at even strength. ribeiro had 9 more pp points than backstrom.

I think this falls into the, if it aint broke, don't fix it, category.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
He was their leading scorer at ES. That leads me to believe that those issues, whatever they are (30 points in 48 games is not bad, though, ~20th in the league) are not isolated to him alone. The team took quite some time to find any sort of groove at ES.

if you take the 33 goals out of his career he wouldn't have been that far off his typical performance last season. his assists per game was up enough to make him a point per game player. his second best season was 88pts in 82 games. 48 in 48 is about where he belongs.

a quick look at the numbers and backstrom was the caps leading scorer at even strength. ribeiro had 9 more pp points than backstrom.

I had his ES and PP numbers backwards :facepalm:

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York

Ignoring the PP mixup from CP, I heartily disagree with the above.

Backstrom is capable of being a 30 goal, 100 point, physical center. Why should we settle for a PPG perimeter player? If his recent play is concussion related, it's a damn tragedy because he was a special player.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

Take out the 33 goals....that's fine. He should be a 20g threat minimum. He's not even been that for 2.5 seasons. I love the guy, but for your 1C, you have to have more IMO to win a Cup.

brs03

Coo coo ca cha!
Jun 2, 2008
Maryland
I'd be very wary about setting any hard numbers for expectations (e.g. 20 goal minimum) without specifying ES vs. PP. Because PP goals are going to depend almost entirely on the system (even if working well he might not be the guy doing the shooting).

Other than his 33 goal year when he had 22 ES goals, his best year looks to be the 13 ES goals he in '10-'11. I don't know that I'd expect him to be more than that + whatever the PP system gives him. 20 seems a touch high, though maybe not.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
that he hasn't been a 20 goal scorer threat is just wrong. in 11-12 he scored 14 in 42 games. that's easily a 20 goal pace. the season before that he has 18 in 77 games. if that is not a threat, I don't know what is. last season he was not close enough to a 20 goal pace to be a threat and his rookie season he got 14 in 82 games.

other than those two seasons he has been at a 20 goal pace or better each season.

amjay13

Jan 7, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Must be a slow week if people are pissing and moaning about Backstrom of all people. He's reliable, talented and causes zero drama. Oh yeah, he's also a PPG player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad