Speculation: Acq/ Rost. Bldg./ Cap Part XX

Status
Not open for further replies.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
i am not that worried about hendricks. one step at a time. i think mcphee sees hendricks as part of the team fabric and intends to keep him. it might mean convincing hendricks to take term rather than salary. which means he gets a three year contract and there will be an eruption here as when bradley signed a 3 year. but thats sort of what i expect.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
i am not that worried about hendricks. one step at a time. i think mcphee sees hendricks as part of the team fabric and intends to keep him. it might mean convincing hendricks to take term rather than salary. which means he gets a three year contract and there will be an eruption here as when bradley signed a 3 year. but thats sort of what i expect.

Me too. I don't see Hendricks going anywhere for some reason.

Latta and Wilson need to prove they are ready.

I see Schultz being bought out but not Ward. We just signed the guy as a UFA and when given a chance he's done everything we've asked of him.

Less and less likely Ribeiro is back but GMGM could work some magic there. In all honesty it would suck but again Ribeiro is no spring chicken and maybe he's demanding too much.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
It's not Latta and Wilson that make Ward expendable, it's Fehr. You don't sign a guy for $1.5M to have him play on the 4th line.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Schutlz is not eligible for a compliance buyout as he makes less than $3M. Ward is, as he makes exactly $3M.

I thought BRS rejected that theory a few posts ago? I didn't read it in depth tho. I thought that $3M figure was for special cases like the guys he mentiioned.

Anyhow the handedness angle is one I overlooked. Fehr has shown he is 1st option to play leftwing in a pinch but I bet Oates would much prefer him on the right side which is pretty crowded there.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I forgot about Fehr.

Why has Hendricks not signed? From his last playoff showings alone, ability to play C, he is getting bank as a UFA folks. You think we can afford him? I see him getting at least 1.5... or if not - what should we project him at? if we keep hendricks, Chimera has to be gone, right?

Laich MP Ward
Hendricks Beagle Fehr
Patti

That looks like a soft as butter lineup to me, going against what I have seen from George in adding Latta Volpatti and Wilson. I think all 3 have already proved they are ready to challenge for full time spots.

If they fail, we still have that same full lineup ready to go.

Last edited:

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
It's not Latta and Wilson that make Ward expendable, it's Fehr. You don't sign a guy for $1.5M to have him play on the 4th line.

i doubt it. they are not on the team to do the same work. ward is there purely for the playoffs and how his game translates to the post season.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Why has Hendricks not signed? .

it could be any number of things, several of which have nothing to do with him wanting to stay and the caps wanting to keep him.

it could be that hendricks' agent has a full plate of players. remember fishman does almost all of the contract negotiations. its an ongoing process. it could be that the deal is already done except for crossing the T's and so forth.

a lot of times what they dont tell you is that fehr agreed to his contract two months ago and signed it a month ago. the caps pr office scheduled the announcement when they had an opening.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
What do you see the deal going to be then since you seem optimistic?

I agree dealings take months and are agreed to "in principle" pending signatures. I do see however, many other deals being made and announced. They know what they have in Hendy.

However, factoring his age status and style of play, I am predicting we will not be able to afford him. His agent while probably busy is probably also looking out for himself and will make more money letting Matt go to UFA this summer, IMO.

I see someone from our bottom 6 core on the way out, and maybe 2.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
What do you see the deal going to be then since you seem optimistic?

I agree dealings take months and are agreed to "in principle" pending signatures. I do see however, many other deals being made and announced. They know what they have in Hendy.

However, factoring his age status and style of play, I am predicting we will not be able to afford him. His agent while probably busy is probably also looking out for himself and will make more money letting Matt go to UFA this summer, IMO.

I see someone from our bottom 6 core on the way out, and maybe 2.

i think you are expecting all the contracts to be announced at once or the contracts you care about most being done first. when the reality is that fehr and volpatti might have been easier contracts to get done. keep in mind that erskine's deal was probably started on over the summer.

remember when everyone was having a fit because carlson and alzner hadnt signed their rfa contracts yet, when we all know that those are always done last.

i already said that i think hendricks gets a 3 year contract and money friendly to the caps salary cap situation.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Wrong, I do not expect contracts to be announced all at once. And Hendricks is not a priority to me because he doesn't hit as much as I want from a 4th liner. I do like that he can play center.

Conversely almost everyone expects unsigned UFA's during the playoffs to test the UFA waters.

A 3 year deal tells me little, as does cap friendly. He is a 4th liner, 4th liners by default are cap friendly / have little impact on the cap.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
I think Hendricks hits a good amount to be honest. Its just that his hits don't hurt like Volpatti's do. Man I can feel some of AVs through the TV.

In the playoffs Matt definitely hits more as evidenced last year. I still love the hit on the Rangers D in OT (McDonough?) and the subsequent set up to Brouwer. If Brouwer finished that it would be an epic highlight for years on end.

Anyhow...I have to think he is coming back. McPhee usually doesn't let players like him go.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I agree that he is a McPhee kinda guy, good in the room to boot. And I will watch for Hendy hits but don't recall (m)any...

But I think Chimera Sarge and Ward are McPhee guys as well.

Someone ain't coming back.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
I agree that he is a McPhee kinda guy, good in the room to boot. And I will watch for Hendy hits but don't recall (m)any...

But I think Chimera Sarge and Ward are McPhee guys as well.

Someone ain't coming back.

I would have to think Schultz is definitely out and Ribeiro won't be back. If I was a betting man (which I am at times) thats the way I would go as of right now.

Playoffs can change things.

In 2008 if Matt Cooke had a halfway decent playoff then I am sure we would have found a way to resign him. But he wasn't that great in that series and we had little cap room.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
It will be huge for George to cut ties with Sarge. I will only believe it when I see it. We have toted around his cap hit and roster spot all this time, why jump ship / dump **** now. And maybe as a UFA next year, George thinks he will play as one.

Of course George knows Dmen don't mature until age ____ <insert needed age here>

Short of a finals visit / Ribs resigning, I think the Ribs trade may be worse than the Erat trade.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
It will be huge for George to cut ties with Sarge. I will only believe it when I see it. We have toted around his cap hit and roster spot all this time, why jump ship / dump **** now. And maybe as a UFA next year, George thinks he will play as one.

Of course George knows Dmen don't mature until age ____ <insert needed age here>

Short of a finals visit / Ribs resigning, I think the Ribs trade may be worse than the Erat trade.

Well I don't know about that. How many times, at the TDL, do we see a team trade for a UFA and give up young assets and picks?

Ribeiro trade was no different outside of the fact we had him the whole year.

Its one of those gamble type trades in hopes of making a serious push. Sometimes it doesn't immediately work (Kovalchuk to NJ, Tkachuk to Atlanta), sometimes you fall just short (Hossa to Pittsburgh) and other times it works (Blake to Colorado? Not sure they won it that year)

Sometimes you resign the guy (Kovalchuk) and sometimes you don't (Hossa, Tkachuk).

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
As it always goes, it will probably be decided in the end on the play of Cody Eakin, and the kid they got with our pick. Short of a cup this year, lets revisit in 5 years.

I wish there were threads that evaluated trades, or tracked them here. It takes upwards of a decade to play out, but the winners and losers are all there to be seen.

Rouse Shout Out
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/nhl-trade-deadline-best-deals/

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
As it always goes, it will probably be decided in the end on the play of Cody Eakin, and the kid they got with our pick. Short of a cup this year, lets revisit in 5 years.

I wish there were threads that evaluated trades, or tracked them here. It takes upwards of a decade to play out, but the winners and losers are all there to be seen.

Rouse Shout Out
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/nhl-trade-deadline-best-deals/

Nice.

I always felt bad for Mike Gartner. He was such a good guy and consistent player. He also had a sweet stache.

The year after the trade, near the TDL, he got traded to the Rags for Ulf Dahlen. That year the Stars made an amazing run to the finals (Mark Tinordi beast mode).

Then in 93-94 the Rangers were dominating and Gartner having a good season. They ship him out for Glen Anderson and win the cup.

Stars didn't think much of Murphy I guess. I believe they traded him for Jim Johnson and they'd face off against each other in the finals.

If my timelines are right I believe thats how it all unfolded.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Oh yeah I clearly forgot about that hit.

probably to preserve what little sanity I have remaining

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
RE: Ribs

Is it just me or does anyone else get totally scared when Ribs is out there without the puck? He is not very good defensively at all.

Neither is Matty P for that matter. But both are outstanding in the offensive zone.

Playoffs that kind of play gets magnified. I'd be interested to see how Ribs does. Will go a long way into his future with the team

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
Ribs is no doubt a defensive liability.

At least Matty P looks like he is trying to do something out there. Ribs looks like he gives up or rather looks lost.

We'll need Erat and Brouwer to be more responsible to cover his shortcomings on that side of things. We'll be fine I think. As a whole, that line isn't glaringly deficient defensively.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Erat looked like a beast last game. His numbers will come if he continues to play like he did. He's faster than I thought, and very strong on the puck. Really like his style of play.

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
Erat's stride is so similar to Ovi's. He looks pretty fast out there. I do wonder what he'd look like as 1st line LW.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad