Speculation: Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap Part XLI *(Poll added 2/12)*

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
I agree, but is it unsustainable small sample size, or are they actually that good? You still have to treat picks as maybes. They end up having a lot of value in trades despite the roll of the dice.

If I had to guess I'd say they are good. And it was no coincidence that we suddenly got good after we doubled our scouting department during the 05 lockout at the behest of McPhee.

I saw a stat...in the last 5-10 years there have been 10 goalies drafted who have played 100+ NHL games. 3 of them belong to the Caps and only 1 of those was a 1st rounder.

Philly has drafted 17 goalies in the last 15 years and those guys combined played 2 NHL games.

This is not an accident.

We were dreadful prior to the lockout when it came to drafting. Its not chance or the odds evening out that we drastically turned it around.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I know but expecting a hit every time is a bit foolhardy.
Sure but they're at seven and counting if you lump Vrana into the group. Six if not. Generally speaking they do know how to tier and select from the very high-end group from a skill evaluation standpoint. Maybe it's a bit restricted a way to evaluate overall but I'd consider their first round drafting as their organizational strength and something that's reliably very good relatively speaking.

This year's draft has thickened up a bit so I don't doubt they'll be able to pluck someone else out capable of contributing faster than Vrana with just as much upside. In fact, I'd once again consider Vrana the more expendable asset due to position, fit and style of play.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Whether they know what they're doing with first round picks is beside the point. The question you have to ask is:

Who gives them a better chance at a Cup, a Jakub Vrana level talent in 3-4 years, or a 50-goal Alex Ovechkin?

Capitlols

Historic Chokers
Feb 9, 2010
Really wish the Sharks would go on a skid/rebuild, any one of Thornton, Marleau, or Pavelski I'd overpay to get here.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Really wish the Sharks would go on a skid/rebuild, any one of Thornton, Marleau, or Pavelski I'd overpay to get here.

Thornton and Marleau were already approached (in a round about way) to waive their NTC. They refused. They like living in SJ and being on the team. Wilson wants to trade them and tried to pressure them (removing C from Thornton) to no avail.

Pavelski is part of their leadership group going forward.

These 3 are simply not available.

Even then would we want to give up a boatload of assets for players like Thornton/Marleau who have had a reputation of choking on a choking team to come to a choking team?

Whether they know what they're doing with first round picks is beside the point. The question you have to ask is:

Who gives them a better chance at a Cup, a Jakub Vrana level talent in 3-4 years, or a 50-goal Alex Ovechkin?

This is an interesting question. The thinking led to use trading Forsberg for Erat for the same reason.

Question is more about what we get for that Vrana level talent right?

Here are some past example:

Calgary trades a young Brett Hull for Rob Ramage and Rick Wamsley. Those two helped them win a cup that year.

Rangers trade a budding Tony Amonte for Noonan and Matteau. Those two helped them win a cup that year.

Dallas trades a prospect name Iginla for Joe Nieuwendyk. He helped win them a cup.

A legit question can be asked....would those teams have won a cup in the next few years without those trades? Could they have won MULTIPLE cups without those trades? Or would they have fizzled by keeping the powder dry?

Last edited:

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York

Based on Niskanen, Orpik, Kane and Doan, I think McLellan and Trotz have already made that determination.

edit: is this really thread #41??? Holy smokes.

Capitlols

Historic Chokers
Feb 9, 2010
Thornton and Marleau were already approached (in a round about way) to waive their NTC. They refused. They like living in SJ and being on the team. Wilson wants to trade them and tried to pressure them (removing C from Thornton) to no avail.

Pavelski is part of their leadership group going forward.

These 3 are simply not available.

Even then would we want to give up a boatload of assets for players like Thornton/Marleau who have had a reputation of choking on a choking team to come to a choking team?

Has that been reported somewhere? I haven't heard that anywhere.

Truly, your standard for what you want in a player astonishes me.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Has that been reported somewhere? I haven't heard that anywhere.

Truly, your standard for what you want in a player astonished me.

Yeah. There was a FANTASTIC article in the offseason from a west coast Newspaper.

I'll try and dig it up for you.

EDIT: This is NOT it but good read:

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/11668508/nhl-dysfunctional-san-jose-sharks-adamant-do-team

Basically the article I read was something along the lines of:

Doug Wilson was irate after epic collapse.

Says they want to rebuild and brings Marleau and Thornton into office and passively-aggressively mentions that he'd be cool if they decided to waive their NMCs. He never DIRECTLY asks them to do so but the way that convo went left both players kinda ticked.

Later the pressure is amped up as the "C" is stripped from Thornton.

In a different article he mentions Pavelski along with Couture, Vlasic and a couple others as the core group going forward. Pavelski is in line to be the next "C" in San Jose.

Last edited:

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
If Kuznetsov brings back someone like David Backes, I'm definitely on board.

Obvious statement is obvious.

Ofcourse you trade Alzner for OEL! No sane Caps fan would say no to that.

Just nobody trade OEL for Alzner. Cause he's an alzner of his own - so cheap for elite D he will become soon.

Capitlols

Historic Chokers
Feb 9, 2010
Just nobody trade OEL for Alzner. Cause he's an alzner of his own - so cheap for elite D he will become soon.

I think it makes sense for Arizona to a degree. If they're shedding salary, Alzner makes half the salary of OEL and plays comparable defense, obviously not close offensively, but of course we'd have to add more.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
I wonder if Marcus Johansson + 1st would even make Toronto listen on James VanRiemsdyk.

Would you do that if you were the GM of Toronto? Probably only if you wanted to get fired....

There would be about 28 better offers on the table

EDIT:

Here they all give a big thumbs down to Vermette. I'm surprised by Winnik's underlying numbers..hmmmm...

http://www.russianmachineneverbreaks.com/2015/02/13/lets-do-thumbs-upthumbs-down-for-the-caps-potential-trade-targets/

Last edited:

Pigskin

Sponsor
Jan 14, 2014
Brisbane, Australia
I think I'd pay more for JvR

Mojo, Chimmer, Vrana & 1st ... are they listening yet ? I'd do that in a heartbeat ... another pick on top ?

JvR is signed for 3 years after this one ... that is about the Ovi prime window right there

2nd line of JvR/Kuzy/Brouwer looks fairly strong to me

then I'd go shopping for a budget 1RW ... a Stafford type and leave it at that

Attack !

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
I think I'd pay more for JvR

Mojo, Chimmer, Vrana & 1st ... are they listening yet ? I'd do that in a heartbeat ... another pick on top ?

JvR is signed for 3 years after this one ... that is about the Ovi prime window right there

2nd line of JvR/Kuzy/Brouwer looks fairly strong to me

then I'd go shopping for a budget 1RW ... a Stafford type and leave it at that

Attack !

That was the exact package I was thinking about for JvR + Winnik. I'm OK with adding a little to that if necessary.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
It's a bit tempting to see whether Toronto would pay a king's ransom for a guy like Wilson. Those crazy Canadians! :)

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/...le-leafs-phil-vessel-nhl-trade-deadline-2015/
15. Washington tried hard on Kane. It is believed the Capitals made a strong pitch for him at the draft. There were more talks this season, but the sense is they were not willing to subtract from what they have now. Washington could not have given Winnipeg what the Jets needed right away. Arizona, rebuilding with youth, didn’t have the extra first-rounders or young forwards Buffalo did. The Coyotes need to keep those players.
Curious report. How could they have added him in season without subtracting from the roster? It would be understandable with him hurt but when healthy being interested and yet having no cap space doesn't really make sense. Was their interest contigent on moving Green elsewhere first?

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
any thoughts on Bozak as a 2C?

Yes. The Caps hired Vic Ferrari for a reason and it was not so they would completely ignore his thoughts on this player.

He literally makes every player he plays with worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad