Speculation: Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap/Lines etc. Part LXXXIV -- The Doggiest Days (Woof!) 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Along that same train of thought, I really hope the Capitals do extend a PTO chance to a few familiar names. Having some more competition for cheap depth and open spots can't hurt. Plus having some healthy scratch candidates that wouldn't be better served playing in Hershey would be nice.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
wonder if they are just saying it now since its whats going on but carlson, holtby and even oshie earlier today were making comments that seem to make it sound like they are looking forward to this year more then other years because there might be new intensity

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
wonder if they are just saying it now since its whats going on but carlson, holtby and even oshie earlier today were making comments that seem to make it sound like they are looking forward to this year more then other years because there might be new intensity

Or they're looking forward to it because there's less pressure on them. The last two years the spotlight has been shining very brightly on the Caps. Those circumstances are stressful for people. I imagine the weight of "Stanley Cup or bust" expectations being lifted + new guys bringing the feeling of a new beginning gives some of the holdovers a slight breath of fresh air.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Even us amateur GMs realize with a lot of high end well compensated players, a team must get production out it's cheap players. Let's call it the Pitt Model.

You kill 2 birds with one stone using your own young players vs bringing in vets from the outside, because you also develop them under the best that there is. The Detroit model of overcooking all prospects is just not as feasible as it once was. That age old concern of ruining players.... seems like a dated concern.

It's also prudent to try your own players, first, because its cheaper and costs no assets. And those vets from the outside usually have less upside.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
That's great, if you have the prospects and the development system to pull it off. Finding and developing Connor Sheary and Jake Guentzel is not an easy task. Outside of one of the best (if not the very best) goalie pipeline in the NHL, the Capitals have had questionable results at producing quality talent from their minor league system since the talent boom of the fire sale dried up.

It also doesn't help that they lost the best "value" contract they had in the expansion draft.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
That's great, if you have the prospects and the development system to pull it off. Finding and developing Connor Sheary and Jake Guentzel is not an easy task. Outside of one of the best (if not the very best) goalie pipeline in the NHL, the Capitals have had questionable results at producing quality talent from their minor league system since the talent boom of the fire sale dried up.

It also doesn't help that they lost the best "value" contract they had in the expansion draft.

If GMBM deems the results unacceptable, he can always change the staff in Hershey or hire better scouts. The reason why the Pens popped Sheary and Guentzel out of nowhere is that they made the transition to the NHL at the same time as their coach. Sullivan knew that his players in WBS were ready for the NHL, and putting them next to Crosby and Malkin facilitated the process.

When we bring up kids from Hershey, we just stick them on the 3rd or 4th line, when we could spread the talent and experience around the lineup. Backstrom and Ovechkin are old and experienced enough to show the ropes to the youth.

When 8 and 19 were young, we were looking all around the league to surround them with veteran leadership. We got guys like Fedorov, Knuble, Halpern, Morrison etc. for them. Now Nick and Ovi are the veteran presence, captain and alternate captain drafted in the organization over 10 years ago. Backstrom in particular seems to be embracing the veteran role, he took Burakovsky under his wing despite not getting much ice time with him. Split up 8, 19 and 77, they could contribute all around the top 9 together.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

They are looking forward to this season because they love playing hockey. They love their job. They have enough good players that with the right performance, they could win where they haven't yet.

On the otherhand, what do you expect them to say? Last season was a heartbreaker, we lost a lot of good players, Ov is going downhill and we are doomed.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
They are looking forward to this season because they love playing hockey. They love their job. They have enough good players that with the right performance, they could win where they haven't yet.

On the otherhand, what do you expect them to say? Last season was a heartbreaker, we lost a lot of good players, Ov is going downhill and we are doomed.

Why do they need to say it when 95% of the hfboards caps forum is saying it for them? :sarcasm:

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Along that same train of thought, I really hope the Capitals do extend a PTO chance to a few familiar names. Having some more competition for cheap depth and open spots can't hurt. Plus having some healthy scratch candidates that wouldn't be better served playing in Hershey would be nice.

I agree 100%. A vet on D or F would be welcomed.

Barry Amsterdam

Nättias Dänielstrom
Apr 2, 2013
I was ripping ovi for being out of shape a few months ago at his anniversary(?). But he looks like he slimmed down in that picture. That's the slimmest I've seen him in a long time. Good job ovi

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
LOL...I cant tell jack from that....

And someone tell the dude in the Puma shirt, he's lost the war....#combforward

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Oh god, the picture judging is back

This.

I will just say this, maybe the reason Ovechkin is able to stay so healthy is because he plays at a healthy weight for him.

It seems to me like all the ripped guys that work out all the time are always injured.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
This.

I will just say this, maybe the reason Ovechkin is able to stay so healthy is because he plays at a healthy weight for him.

It seems to me like all the ripped guys that work out all the time are always injured.

People in the org including gmgm have expressed issues with his weight in the past. It's not just some message board invention. When you have that kind of history and your chief competitor/rival has 3 Cups and is known for working his ass off you probably can't coast.

That said it's just one pic, clothed, with something tied around his waist. No need to freak either way.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Picture time? Suck in those guts, boys. You know the drill by now.

Reminds me of the pool scene in caddyshack when lacy underall walks by.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
This.

if you listen to what people around him say, Ov is always injured. Cal Ripken was always injured. Ov doesn't take games off for a ding and he very likely plays thru things other players would miss a month for.

At one time it appeared that Ov felt like the extra weight gave him an advantage physically. Now maybe he feels like he has lost that edge because the weight is slowing him down. I don't know. Just guessing.

Ov is always injured. Its just that he wont miss a game and nobody would tell us if he was dealing with something

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Picture time? Suck in those guts, boys. You know the drill by now.

:laugh::laugh:

His face does look a lot thinner, can you suck in your face? ;)

This is from July 8th:

dPU6wOwq.jpg

Let me just say I have no idea about how elite athletes train, how ideal playing weight is determined, etc. Obviously I understand that carrying less weight will PROBABLY make you faster, but Ovie has always struck me as a guy who needs to be heavier to play the way he plays. Maybe as he gets older you guys are correct and he can't play at his younger weight.

I just look at a guy like Kris Letang who is known for his super intense workouts and the guy just can't stay healthy.......

p.s. Dang a lot of players came to his wedding party.

https://www.russianmachineneverbrea...arried-gr8est-day-july-hold-wedding-barvikha/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad