Speculation: Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap/Lines etc. Part LXVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
One thing that hasn't much been talked about yet--will GMBM break the Finnish wall? I feel like that's the final step in breaking away from the bad aspects of the GMGM era.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
...but it's not just us overvaluing our own prospects? Samsonov is universally regarded as a top goalie prospect. He was the best goalie in his class.

Oh I get that. JVR is arguably the Leafs best player (look at the year he's having). Gotta give to get.

I'm discususing this trade proposal now w 2 guys...once says "it's too much to give for that"....while the other says "it's not enough!" So maybe it's really close.

Add to it that JVR has the best plus/minus amongst Leaf forwards at +3..... 2nd overall on the team to...wait for it....Polak. Who is +8.

I'd offer the deal now, and see what happens.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
The circle would indeed be complete.

Have anyone in mind?

Or are you thinking draft--
Maybe Komarov? Though not sure if he counts, being Estonia-born with Russian ancestry.

Korpikoski might be a sleeper Laich replacement.

I don't think they'd want to swap a young defenenseman for another, but Vatanen might be attainable.

Not really sure if there are any other Finns that might be available and fit what the Caps would be looking for.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Oh I get that. JVR is arguably the Leafs best player (look at the year he's having). Gotta give to get.

I'm discususing this trade proposal now w 2 guys...once says "it's too much to give for that"....while the other says "it's not enough!" So maybe it's really close.

Add to it that JVR has the best plus/minus amongst Leaf forwards at +3..... 2nd overall on the team to...wait for it....Polak. Who is +8.

I'd offer the deal now, and see what happens.

I get where you're coming from but we just don't agree here on value. If Samsonov is on the table, I'm taking the 1st off the table. Samsonov is a much better prospect than Vanecek and I think you're just throwing that fact aside. If they say no, that's fine. JvR isn't going to push us over the top anyway.

JvR doesn't fill a need and I'm not convinced he's a better fit in the top 6 with Kuz than Burakovsky is. Polak is going to be a healthy scratch most nights. I'd also rather save Samsonov to use a piece to replace Oshie and/or Williams after next year. I'd love to use him to swap him 1-for-1 for a high end wing prospect.

The only argument that makes me bullish on this deal is that we replace Laich's contract with JvR's contract. Bump Chimmer down to 4LW next year, put JvR at 3LW, and you really have the best LW in the NHL.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
I get where you're coming from but we just don't agree here on value. If Samsonov is on the table, I'm taking the 1st off the table. Samsonov is a much better prospect than Vanecek and I think you're just throwing that fact aside. If they say no, that's fine. JvR isn't going to push us over the top anyway.

JvR doesn't fill a need and I'm not convinced he's a better fit in the top 6 with Kuz than Burakovsky is. Polak is going to be a healthy scratch most nights. I'd also rather save Samsonov to use a piece to replace Oshie and/or Williams after next year. I'd love to use him to swap him 1-for-1 for a high end wing prospect.

The only argument that makes me bullish on this deal is that we replace Laich's contract with JvR's contract. Bump Chimmer down to 4LW next year, put JvR at 3LW, and you really have the best LW in the NHL.

if it really matters, dont think washington will have the cap space to resign him this offseason

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Whatever happens the next 2 playoffs, I don't think Ovechkin will be moved. Vrana, Bowey and especially Siegenthaler are way too early to be called a part of the core before playing an NHL game.

I thought it was a given about Ovechkin, he will retire a Cap if he wants to. But make no mistake after the next two years, as I said in my post, the "core" will be the players I mentioned. Ovechkin will be the grizzled veteran.

As to the bolded, was it to early to call Forsberg part of the core, Eakin? I certainly didn't think so and they should have never been moved.

An organization HAS to identify a group of five or six guys and say no matter what we hold onto them. Unless Weber or Doughty are coming back we don't move these guys. In my mind those players are Vrana, Burka, Kuz, Bowey, Alzner, Carlson and perhaps Seigenthaler soon.

Holtby, Ovie and Backstrom are all locked up long term so I'm not counting them.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
When does Connor Carrick begin to have to go through waivers, when moving from the parent club to Hershey?

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
The relevant portion re: Carrick, though:
This is relatively straightforward. However, there are a number of additional rules that make it more complicated. First, the number of years is reduced by two for eighteen year old or nineteen year old players playing more than eleven NHL games. So, any goalie playing more than eleven NHL games by age nineteen will lose waiver exemption after four seasons and any skater doing the same will lose waiver exemption after three.
Carrick played 10+ at 19 so that means he'll have to clear waivers next fall.

GRob83

Feb 3, 2010
Capitals Receive:

Cam Ward
Kris Versteeg
Jay Mcclement

Carolina Receive:

Marcus Johansson
Brooks Laich
Phillip Grubauer

Capitals add 2 Cup Winners and give up RFA Johansson who they probably won't be able to afford anyways and back up goalie with starter potential to compete with Eddie Lack. Johansson has 9 points his last 3 Post Seasons combined.

Marshall

A ribbon reflector
Mar 13, 2002
Crystal Koons' cold, dead eyes.
twitter.com
Capitals Receive:

Cam Ward
Kris Versteeg
Jay Mcclement

Carolina Receive:

Marcus Johansson
Brooks Laich
Phillip Grubauer

Capitals add 2 Cup Winners and give up RFA Johansson who they probably won't be able to afford anyways and back up goalie with starter potential to compete with Eddie Lack. Johansson has 9 points his last 3 Post Seasons combined.

That is awful for the Caps. Not even a little bit.

Ed - Okay, my mistake. Took a look at the numbers, which makes a bit of sense long-term. MoJo is better than either of the forwards they are getting back, though, and the idea is to win the Cup this year.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Capitals Receive:

Cam Ward
Kris Versteeg
Jay Mcclement

Carolina Receive:

Marcus Johansson
Brooks Laich
Phillip Grubauer

Are you sure you don't want us to add Kuznetsov to make it fair?

GRob83

Feb 3, 2010
Ovechkin - Backstrom - Oshie
Versteeg - Kuznetsov - Williams
Chimera - Richards - Wilson

I really see this as a major upgrade over any potential top 9 combination the Caps currently have. That's A LOT of Stanley Cups and hungry veterans. 4th line would be excellent defensively with Mcclement, Beagle, Latta all of whom can take faceoffs and leaves Burakovsky as an extra forward.

Zoidberg Jesus

Trotzkyist
Oct 25, 2011

Valeri Nichushkin? Jack Campbell's splitting time between the ECHL and AHL this year as a 24 year old, so I think he can safely be labeled a bust at this point. Contracts on their two-headed goalie monster run out in 3 years, right around when Samsonov should be ready to start playing at the NHL level. Make the trade this offseason and you've got Nichushkin as the Chimera replacement (I know Valeri's a RW, but he is a left-handed shot). Can you imagine a third line with Nichuchkin on one wing and Wilson on the other?

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Valeri Nichushkin? Jack Campbell's splitting time between the ECHL and AHL this year as a 24 year old, so I think he can safely be labeled a bust at this point. Contracts on their two-headed goalie monster run out in 3 years, right around when Samsonov should be ready to start playing at the NHL level. Make the trade this offseason and you've got Nichushkin as the Chimera replacement (I know Valeri's a RW, but he is a left-handed shot). Can you imagine a third line with Nichuchkin on one wing and Wilson on the other?

Pretty much exactly along the lines of what I was thinking. Nuke's injury history and inconsistency scare me a bit but he's the type of prospect I was thinking of.

We should not be selling low on Samsonov.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York

I really see this as a major upgrade over any potential top 9 combination the Caps currently have. That's A LOT of Stanley Cups and hungry veterans. 4th line would be excellent defensively with Mcclement, Beagle, Latta all of whom can take faceoffs and leaves Burakovsky as an extra forward.

Versteeg has no business in our top 6. Frankly, he's not a fit at all given the style we try to play.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions

This makes the Caps top 9 markedly worse. Burakovsky is better than Versteeg at this point in their careers and Johansson is much better than Richards. The 3rd line didn't score when Richards was the 3C.

Mackinnonen

Sep 6, 2015

Sorry but Burakovsky is a legit top 6 player right now. Much better than Versteeg.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad