Speculation: Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap/Lines etc. Part LXIX (2016 TDL Pre-Game Pt1)(2/27-Laich waived)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Controversial opinion time: a Vrana call-up would have more of a playoff impact than a Ladd acquisition.

A pending UFA having a down year doesn't inspire confidence. Could see that acquisition being Glencross-esque.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
what would you like him to do? hasant he pretty much improved this team in every category?

Sure. But all in is all in. Hawks are somehow all in every damn year.

Take notes on what? He's done pretty much everything we expected of him. Trading Laich and getting a player like Komarov might be the most difficult move of his career. Finding and fitting the last piece of the puzzle is tough.

I'd support that move.

But Komarov doesn't bring the pedigree or playoff experience of a Ladd. I would rather have a playoff/Cup vet. As I said in another post somewhere, Ladd has Gary Roberts/Claude Lemieux potential.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Sure. But all in is all in. Hawks are somehow all in every damn year.

true but what can bmac do if hes trying to trade laich and no one wants him?

bmac has only been a gm for 2 years and hes pretty much been all in with what cap space he has

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
true but what can bmac do if hes trying to trade laich and no one wants him?

bmac has only been a gm for 2 years and hes pretty much been all in with what cap space he has

Don't get me wrong. I really love what GMBM has done. No complaints. But Chicago has eclipsed Detroit as the gold standard in team management (except maybe WRT drafting/development) and a new GM would be wise to emulate how the Bowman machine operates. That's all I'm sayin'.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Don't get me wrong. I really love what GMBM has done. No complaints. But Chicago has eclipsed Detroit as the gold standard in team management (except maybe WRT drafting/development) and a new GM would be wise to emulate how the Bowman machine operates. That's all I'm sayin'.

oh my bad, i misunderstood. i thought you werent happy that ladd went to chicago instead of washington. i agree on your last sentence

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

Just acquire a handful of current and former franchise level players and sit back and watch the Cups roll in....simple!

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
And Larkin would be better than both if we're talking things that'll never happen now.
Sure. But Ladd isn't the only option, nor am I convinced he's the best one. That's a huge price. I can't imagine Chicago has the assets to get Hamhuis at this point.

We've already got three lines that can score and three good defensive pairings. The other teams scrambling to get their targets are trying to catch us.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
All in sometimes means you just sit on the cards you were dealt. I don't think missing Ladd is the worst thing for this team.

MoJoSauce

Apr 3, 2011
NNK
Going back in time here but would you guys be happier with Teravinen or Wilson?

Legit question, and I know our scouting staff was split on that decision.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
But Komarov doesn't bring the pedigree or playoff experience of a Ladd. I would rather have a playoff/Cup vet. As I said in another post somewhere, Ladd has Gary Roberts/Claude Lemieux potential.

Ladd is a winger, Komarov plays all three positions. To me, that's as valuable as pedigree and playoff experience. Ladd is better offensively but that's not really what we need, our top 6 is pretty much set in stone. I think Komarov is a better fit than Ladd to play in our bottom 6. A Komarov-Beagle-Richards 4th line would be a thorn in the opposition's butt.

Bring on uncle Leo GMBM. The price is going to be more reasonable, we can get him and unload Laich at the same time.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Sure. But Ladd isn't the only option, nor am I convinced he's the best one. That's a huge price. I can't imagine Chicago has the assets to get Hamhuis at this point.

We've already got three lines that can score and three good defensive pairings. The other teams scrambling to get their targets are trying to catch us.

Let's not get carried away. I don't believe for one second that Chicago fears ANY team. And why should they?

Ladd is a winger, Komarov plays all three positions. To me, that's as valuable as pedigree and playoff experience. Ladd is better offensively but that's not really what we need, our top 6 is pretty much set in stone. I think Komarov is a better fit than Ladd to play in our bottom 6. A Komarov-Beagle-Richards 4th line would be a thorn in the opposition's butt.

Bring on uncle Leo GMBM. The price is going to be more reasonable, we can get him and unload Laich at the same time.

Well, like I said, I'd support it. We'll see what happens.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Let's not get carried away. I don't believe for one second that Chicago fears ANY team. And why should they?
I'd be shocked if Bowman and company aren't looking at what they need to do to close (or increase) the gap on the other Cup contenders.

THAT'S how they keep winning Cups, not by resting on their laurels.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
I'd be shocked if Bowman and company aren't looking at what they need to do to close (or increase) the gap on the other Cup contenders.

THAT'S how they keep winning Cups, not by resting on their laurels.

Yeah, maybe. But I have a (unsubstantiated) suspicion that other teams are irrelevant to their calculus. I think they build their ideal team and let the chips fall.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
And Larkin would be better than both if we're talking things that'll never happen now.
‏@ZacBoyer: It's unlikely that any of the Capitals' prospects will play a role down the stretch as fill-ins, too. Sill was mentioned as having a role.

That's from the MacLellan interview I guess, the video of which hasn't been posted. At best it'd take a serious injury for Vrana to play it seems and maybe even then depending on if they do add more forward depth.

Ladd's play has picked up lately and it's possible he's a poor man's Saad for them. He maybe doesn't have as much upside to thrive compared to Eriksson but it's not clear yet whether Boston will move him. That question may be the next hold up on forwards.

I'll take a team that's lacking some depth but are proven winners in the past over one with depth that has failed to get to the top in the past. The Caps should play with a chip on the shoulder when the time comes because they've never really accomplished much of anything. For that to happen they're going to need to straighten out quite a few areas from execution and key individual standpoints. They can't get complacent and think turning the switch on effort will cover for shoddy decision-making. Williams understands they have miles to go. I wonder if some of their key core guys understand that deeply enough.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Controversial opinion time: a Vrana call-up would have more of a playoff impact than a Ladd acquisition.

A pending UFA having a down year doesn't inspire confidence. Could see that acquisition being Glencross-esque.

I tend to agree. After Erat and Glencross I almost assume our big TDL add is not going to mesh with his linemates and end up buried on 4 / scratched. We have a top 6. Someone is getting demoted.

Call up Vrana, he is going to be hungry and flying, and fine to accept a 4th line role, unlike a high ticket vet that hasnt sniffed the bottom 6... in a career.

And Vrana will be available next year, but not if we trade him for a rental.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC

I think Ladd being a former cup winner with the Hawks makes him a great fit on ice and the in the locker room

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Going back in time here but would you guys be happier with Teravinen or Wilson?

Legit question, and I know our scouting staff was split on that decision.

Wilson. We have a lot of young skilled forwards, but we only have one Wilson. His impact on the ice goes far beyond points.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
I tend to agree. After Erat and Glencross I almost assume our big TDL add is not going to mesh with his linemates and end up buried on 4 / scratched. We have a top 6. Someone is getting demoted.

Call up Vrana, he is going to be hungry and flying, and fine to accept a 4th line role, unlike a high ticket vet that hasnt sniffed the bottom 6... in a career.

And Vrana will be available next year, but not if we trade him for a rental.

Agree no point in over paying just for the sake of adding a 4th liner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad