Speculation: Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap/Lines etc. Part LXIX (2016 TDL Pre-Game Pt1)(2/27-Laich waived)

Status
Not open for further replies.

capitalsrock

Sep 7, 2012
I wonder if the Flames regret trading away Brett Hull for a couple depth players that "helped" them win the cup?

Neil Smith still regrets trading away guys like Amonte, Weight, and Gartner for depth grinders that may or may not have helped their team win that cup in 94. Glenn Anderson was shot. Gartner was still very productive. Yeah Matteau scored a big goal...but maybe the sweep the Devils if they had a young budding Tony frikin Amonte on their team? We won't know I guess.

Most times it fails. Even when it "succeeds" (like above) there is still a case to make for it "failing".

We are talking about a bottom 6 forward here. "We talkin' bout Grinderz! Grinderz!"

maybe i'd be a bad GM, but i'd trade anyone and anything for a grinder if it meant we won the cup.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
I actually disagree here. Even though the Rags hasn't won the Cup, they have been in ECF twice and once in the SCF in the past 4 years. That's actually a really good record. Their management gave them a really good chance to win it all. Their TDL additions have been good so far: MSL, Yandle, Nash. If we can add any player of that calibre, that would be huge. Also unlike the Rags, we can sacrifice the future with our farm and young players.

I totally disagree. They didn't win. Thats what it comes down to. If you were to tell Sather at the time that they would not win you really he thinks he makes those trades?

They have absolutely mortgaged their future for years and if they don't win a cup it will go down in history as pretty bad.

Also they may have made those runs, or even won, WITHOUT any of those trades. We just won't know. What we do know is that they didn't win and they gave up a billion 1st and 2nd rounders.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
maybe i'd be a bad GM, but i'd trade anyone and anything for a grinder if it meant we won the cup.

If you ask me the Rangers in the mid 90s were dynasty material had they held onto guys like Amonte.

The Stars won a cup. Nieuwendyk was important for sure. Essential? Maybe. I do know Iginla has 600 NHL goals and he sure would have been useful for those post 99 stars teams...

And we are arguing instances where the teams actually WON! That happens a small fraction of the time.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Could that push Majo to 3L maybe Hanzel to 3C and Chimmer down to Richy and Beags? That would be scary depth.

MJ is a better center.

Chimera has been awesome!

I like Hanzel don't get me wrong. But he's hurt too much and would bump down Chimmer?? The guy who ALWAYS comes to play in the playoffs??

This is highly risky and thats without even talking about the assets we'd give up.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA

I'd mortgage the whole farm and all our picks for the next two years for a cup.

I mean really we'd still be OK. Most of our team is 30 or younger and our two biggest assets 92-65 are super young. Sill a chance Wilson continues to develop as well. He's taken HUGE leaps this year. More so than I expected.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
MJ is a better center.

I like Hanzel don't get me wrong. But he's hurt too much and would bump down Chimmer?? The guy who ALWAYS comes to play in the playoffs??

This is highly risky and thats without even talking about the assets we'd give up.

they could just move wilson down and have a line of hanzal chimera and johansson imo

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
If you ask me the Rangers in the mid 90s were dynasty material had they held onto guys like Amonte.

The Stars won a cup. Nieuwendyk was important for sure. Essential? Maybe. I do know Iginla has 600 NHL goals and he sure would have been useful for those post 99 stars teams...

And we are arguing instances where the teams actually WON! That happens a small fraction of the time.

There's a difference between Nieuwendyk, Iginla, Gartner and Amonte but i cant quite put my finger on it. Hmmmm.

PucksInDeep

Oct 1, 2014
I actually disagree here. Even though the Rags hasn't won the Cup, they have been in ECF twice and once in the SCF in the past 4 years. That's actually a really good record. Their management gave them a really good chance to win it all. Their TDL additions have been good so far: MSL, Yandle, Nash. If we can add any player of that calibre, that would be huge. Also unlike the Rags, we can sacrifice the future with our farm and young players.

The Rangers know their chances of winning a Cup are entirely dependent on Lundqvist. Lundqvist turns 34 this week. Who knows how many seasons he has left? The Rangers are going to be completely screwed in a few seasons after they've traded so many picks and prospects - but once Lundqvist starts his downturn, they'll probably need to rebuild anyway.

The Capitals are not in this kind of situation. Yes, Ovechkin is 30, and they have a really good Cup window this season and next. BUT, Backstrom is only 28. Carlson and Holtby are 26. Kuznetsov is 23. Orlov, Schmidt, Burakovsky, Vrana, etc. are all very young.

The Caps have a bright future. Nobody in the NHL can match their firepower this season, and they're poised to be even better next season and in the future. We're set to be contenders for the next 10 years, even with Ovechkin slowing down. I think it's important to consider that before sacrificing the farm for a slightly better shot this season.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
MJ is a better center.

If we obtained him do you play him with Beags and Richy? I guess one of them could move to 4L.

That would be a killer 4th line.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
If we obtained him do you play him with Beags and Richy? I guess one of them could move to 4L.

That would be a killer 4th line.

Then we'd have all our best face off guys on one line no? One area of concern is our faceoffs and there is just not much that can be done. Kuzy and Backstrom are struggling in that dept. The upgrade would have to come at 3C and that would have other consequences as in moving MJ or Chimmer who have been outstanding.

they could just move wilson down and have a line of hanzal chimera and johansson imo

Can Johansson even play RW good? That line would be mashed up all wrong.

There's a difference between Nieuwendyk, Iginla, Gartner and Amonte but i cant quite put my finger on it. Hmmmm.

Yes. Those are big time top 6 guys. We are talking about moving top assets for a marginal bottom 6 upgrade.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
could they flip chimera and johansson and put marcus back on his normal side?

is there a big difference between lw and rw?

tmljeh19*

Agreed, there's no way you move down Chimera before Wilson.

Hanzal would be a great get. You'd bump Wilson down and Laich out.

Chimera - Hanzal - Johansson
Richards - Beagle - Wilson.

Now that's a solid bottom 6

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Could that push Majo to 3L maybe Hanzel to 3C and Chimmer down to Richy and Beags? That would be scary depth.
I would think Arizona would want Johansson ideally. He fits fairly well into their developing speed game. That might be more of an off-season type deal but it could make sense. PP1 isn't really working and overall Kuznetsov probably deserves a more prominent role on the PP (if not overall). Hanzal is more of a traditional 3C on a contender compared to 90.

bur and 666 others

Jun 13, 2012
I totally disagree. They didn't win. Thats what it comes down to. If you were to tell Sather at the time that they would not win you really he thinks he makes those trades?

They have absolutely mortgaged their future for years and if they don't win a cup it will go down in history as pretty bad.

Also they may have made those runs, or even won, WITHOUT any of those trades. We just won't know. What we do know is that they didn't win and they gave up a billion 1st and 2nd rounders.

Well, in order to win, you need to get to the finals, or at least to get to the semifinals. If they stayed pat at those 4 last years, I don't think they would have won a cup at all (honestly I don't believe they would have reached the final if not MSL and his tragedy). But making these additions, they gave themselves a good shot to win, they didn't hammer their chances with all these TDL acquisitions.

Besides, the caps can afford to lose some futures now. If there is a chance, to improve the team, we should go for it. Yeah, we got burned on Erat trade, but at this point referring to that trade is blowing on water after getting burn.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
I would think Arizona would want Johansson ideally. He fits fairly well into their developing speed game. That might be more of an off-season type deal but it could make sense. PP1 isn't really working and overall Kuznetsov probably deserves a more prominent role on the PP (if not overall). Hanzal is more of a traditional 3C on a contender compared to 90.

Noodling it through fair value at this point may be a 1 for 1 swap.

Hanzal still has injury concerns and Johansson has taken a step up. He also seems like a good fit for Tippett.

peterthegreat12

Hopeless Caps fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jan 22, 2011
Washington DC
Don't hear many WSH mentions at this point in trade rumors. I know GMGM was tight lipped, surprised to see GMBM has been able to keep things locked down too.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009

Johansson is better than an older broken down Hanzal. Hanzal is an injury waiting to happen.

The idea isn't a bad one for the offseason is you are willing to live with the injuries that he WILL get.

There is a reason we weren't TOO sad to see a guy like Eric Fehr go right?

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Well, in order to win, you need to get to the finals, or at least to get to the semifinals. If they stayed pat at those 4 last years, I don't think they would have won a cup at all (honestly I don't believe they would have reached the final if not MSL and his tragedy). But making these additions, they gave themselves a good shot to win, they didn't hammer their chances with all these TDL acquisitions.

Besides, the caps can afford to lose some futures now. If there is a chance, to improve the team, we should go for it. Yeah, we got burned on Erat trade, but at this point referring to that trade is blowing on water after getting burn.

But they didn't win...

They gave up like ALL their draft picks. You know who we have gotten with mid to late 1st round draft picks?

Carlson, Green, Kuznetsov, Bura, Mojo, Varlamov (Forsberg), etc (I'm SURE Samasonov and Vrana are going to be studs)

We draft better than any team post lockout with those 1st rounders. A 1st rounder we hold is worth ALOT more to us.

Example:

Would you have given up Callahan, Kuznetsov and Carlson to make 2 runs with an old Marty St Louis and not even won??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad