Advice: ACL replaced knee

Status
Not open for further replies.

teal

Aug 8, 2006
Hey all, this isn't hockey-related per se, but I'm going to assume that some other folks here may have had an ACL replacement surgeries too.

I had mine done about six years ago, got a graft from a cadaver. I've been active at the same level ever since and have dealt with the expected issues that come with post-acl surgery. Namely, extra stiffness when it gets cold or after an intense workout. Annoying, but generally not a big deal.

Lately it has gotten worse though. I have a ton of stretches that have worked in the past, but now the stiffness seems to be a lot more stubborn and it's taking about 4-5 days to really get back to normal. And in this time I can't do any exercise and it's really depressing.

Does anyone have a similar experience? Any recommendations for stretches I might be forgetting?

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
Hey all, this isn't hockey-related per se, but I'm going to assume that some other folks here may have had an ACL replacement surgeries too.

I had mine done about six years ago, got a graft from a cadaver. I've been active at the same level ever since and have dealt with the expected issues that come with post-acl surgery. Namely, extra stiffness when it gets cold or after an intense workout. Annoying, but generally not a big deal.

Lately it has gotten worse though. I have a ton of stretches that have worked in the past, but now the stiffness seems to be a lot more stubborn and it's taking about 4-5 days to really get back to normal. And in this time I can't do any exercise and it's really depressing.

Does anyone have a similar experience? Any recommendations for stretches I might be forgetting?

your doctor probably has tons of ideas on why your knee is acting up

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
Just moved to a new city, don't have a new doctor yet. Thanks though.

better to find a new one then to ask a bunch of strangers. a knee is not something to mess around with by taking advice from random people on the internet

StLHokie

May 27, 2014
North Carolina

I'm 7 years out from ACL surgery myself, but I can't say I've had any of the issues you seem to be having. I got the patellar tendon replacement though instead of the cadaver graft.

ThatGuyThere

Dec 1, 2016
DISCLAIMER! My advice is general and NOT specific to you, please consult your doctor with concerns:

As a Physical Therapist, what I've seen is this. Cadaver grafts stretch out more/more rapidly allowing for increased movement between Tibia and Femu and then more pain in knee, under knee cap.

One MUST keep hamstrings extra strong

Unfortunately, if it were me I'd try to get another MRI and/or KT-2000 test (ask your Physical Therapist).

Most insurance companies are starting to require 4-6 weeks of PT before they'll approve an MRI.

IF you had to have it redone, find a surgeon that will do one using a Hamstring graft from YOU.

Best of luck.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
I'm 7 years out from ACL surgery myself, but I can't say I've had any of the issues you seem to be having. I got the patellar tendon replacement though instead of the cadaver graft.

Not sure if it is helpful for the OP, but same here. Well I´m about 15 years out now - no issues.

Pardon my ignorance, but why would this procedure lead to any stiffness? I´m assuming you are talking about muscular stiffness?

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Not into having this kind of medical talk on these boards, sorry. Let's leave it to the professionals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad