Acha?

yoyo999

May 24, 2012
http://achahockey.org/

Hey everyone, not sure if this was the right place to ask this. I came across this collegiate league in the US called the ACHA. I was surprised to see that it included teams like the University of Florida, Alabama, LSU, Kentucky and other traditional football/basketball schools.

Now as I understand it, it's club hockey. but how in depth does it go? Are coaches full-time/paid, do they recruit? What's the caliber like? Do any of these guys go pro?

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
I played at USF in the acha for a bit. It is more of a travel team for the schools. The only recruiting is from the kids at schools, coaches and try out posting. There is no pay for coaches, and there is not scholarships for the players. It is basically intramural travel hockey between schools.

Pajicz

Mar 22, 2011
I played at USF in the acha for a bit. It is more of a travel team for the schools. The only recruiting is from the kids at schools, coaches and try out posting. There is no pay for coaches, and there is not scholarships for the players. It is basically intramural travel hockey between schools.

The level of play is still decent, we've had couple guys with ACHA experience over here in Finland in our team, and they can play.

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
I played two years ACHA at the University of Colorado. Maybe one-fourth of our guys ended up playing pro somewhere (most in Europe). It's a good level of hockey.

flyers10

Apr 12, 2011
AZ
D1 ACHA can be quite good. Some programs are good enough to compete at NCAA D1 level (might take some beatings from powerhouses like UND, UM, etc) but they just don't have the funding to build an arena/etc to jump to NCAA D1. ASU has a solid program but not money. Penn State got the money and went NCAA D1 last year and just opened their new arena tonight.

not a troll

Oct 24, 2012
D1 ACHA can be quite good. Some programs are good enough to compete at NCAA D1 level (might take some beatings from powerhouses like UND, UM, etc) but they just don't have the funding to build an arena/etc to jump to NCAA D1. ASU has a solid program but not money. Penn State got the money and went NCAA D1 last year and just opened their new arena tonight.

Some club D1 schools might be able to compete with lower level NCAA D3 schools but no way can they match up with any NCAA D1 schools. The NCAA D1 attract the best college bound players because they can offer them scholarships.

Puckstop40

Aug 23, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
I will be hopefully playing ACHA next year. Not sure what school I'm transferring to, but I am stoked about college hockey. It's always been a dream of mine to play College puck.

rinkrat22

Jul 27, 2007
Chicago
don't kid yourself many of those ACHA players are on scholarship too. its just a "scholastic" scholarship. I would say they would beat any NCAA D1 programs but a few of them may not be run out of the building.much like any hockey team it would come down to depth.

sherwood sniper

Jan 25, 2010
For what its worth Penn St NCAA D1 lost to ACHA D1 ASU last year.....

It all really depends on the school and level, d1, d2, and d3. D1-The top teams are pretty decent.

Some schools you pay out of pocket for everything, while others are completely paid for as well as discounted schooling.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad