GDT: Ace Hardware presents 17th Annual Free Agency Disappointment Day

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Disappointment is due to a mismatch between expectations and reality. Given the Canes cap space, are there really any expectations this year?

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I, for one, am excited about bringing Matt Cullen back for 3 years with a NMC.

But it's a discounted 3 years, so that makes it alright

vwg*

Nov 16, 2005
Krasnoyarsk
I heard Tomas Kaberle is a free agent.

What a complete **** UFA crop. All the half decent UFAs are going to get paid. I'll take passing on giving out those contracts if it means I won't have to read everyone crying about them in 6 months.

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
I'm about to fall asleep for a long time. I will honestly consider our day a victory if we haven't resigned Chad LaRose by the time I wake up. A man can hope, no?

Oh, and stay out of the craziness that will be Weiss, Ribeiro, Horton, etc. Let's get someone cheap or no one at all tomorrow. Please.

Wolfpuck

Chefnikov
Jun 25, 2006
The 919
I would rather JR say "we like our group" and go with the team as it is than make one of his patented blockbuster gambles that gives us false hope until October and fits of madness thereafter.

Of course, there is no middle ground where we sign Komisarek to a 1 year, ~$1 million deal and sign a decent goalie to force Peters back down to Charlotte.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
I love how JR can defend not doing much on FA signing day because we've already got a bunch of money committed and not a lot of flexibility, when he's the one who signed all those huge contracts for overrated veterans, making it impossible to do anything on free-agency day.

And please keep something in mind when you see the money. One of the reasons teams are willing to pay a premium for UFAs is because they are free. They don't cost in terms of assets. A $6 million contract for Nathan Horton will look bad, but what if a team traded a first-round pick, then signed him for $5 million. Yeah, the money would look better, but it cost them a first-rounder. These guys are simply worth more than other players because there's no asset cost to acquire them. Make sense?

vwg*

Nov 16, 2005
Krasnoyarsk
I'm with Boom Boom Anton. I was never expecting us to do much, especially after adding Sekera. I think we still need to add a d-man and a bottom 6 forward, but I'll take us doing nothing if it means we don't overpay for a mediocre player. If we sign someone decent without overpaying, it will just be a pleasant surprise.

vwg*

Nov 16, 2005
Krasnoyarsk
I love how JR can defend not doing much on FA signing day because we've already got a bunch of money committed and not a lot of flexibility, when he's the one who signed all those huge contracts for overrated veterans, making it impossible to do anything on free-agency day.

And please keep something in mind when you see the money. One of the reasons teams are willing to pay a premium for UFAs is because they are free. They don't cost in terms of assets. A $6 million contract for Nathan Horton will look bad, but what if a team traded a first-round pick, then signed him for $5 million. Yeah, the money would look better, but it cost them a first-rounder. These guys are simply worth more than other players because there's no asset cost to acquire them. Make sense?
And when we sign Horton and he scores 30 or 40 points in 82 games while earning 6 million a year, we'll have another paragraph like this one from you:

Caniac125330

Jul 13, 2011
North Carolina
Wow, here we have Nathan Horton, one of the best power forwards on the market, actually WANTING to sign in a small market, but we don't have the cap space to make a decent offer. Unbelievable.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
LaRose resigning would be hilarious. I'm hoping it happens just to see the meltdown on this board

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
If we sign Nathan Horton, we have to buy out Ruutu.

In other words, take the 5-6 million Nathan Horton wants, and add 1.66 million dollars of real salary behind it.

I'd rather keep Ruutu himself.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
LaRose resigning would be hilarious. I'm hoping it happens just to see the meltdown on this board

Nothing will beat the epic meltdown some exhibited when Parise rejected our contract. ;)

And that still won't beat the 2010 Jeff Skinner Draft Thread.

Wild Caniac

@WildCaniac
Jan 23, 2013
NC
As long as we do not resign Chad LaRose, I would consider tomorrow a success. Horton would be cool if it was say, 2 years, 3.5m per?

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Komi or comparable dman for cheap, backup goalie. That's all I'd hope for or at most expect. If we're getting another top 4 this offseason I expect that through a trade.

Maybe a Ryan jones or nystrom type of role player.

Buenos Necas

lets go canes
Jul 18, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Good call on Nystrom, he fits our needs pretty well for the bottom 6. Would be pleased if we signed him and/or Komisarek. Trying to keep my expectations low :laugh:

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
I would be thrilled if we could get two bottom line guys with some line mobility. I will settle for one. We need something more proven on these lower lines. Benoit Poulliot would be nice.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Always curious why poulliot can't keep a job. Big guy with sick skills. No expects him to live up to his draft position anymore, you'd think someone would be content with what he CAN do. A good third liner for us, his skill level would put him higher easily if someone gets hurt.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Always curious why poulliot can't keep a job. Big guy with sick skills. No expects him to live up to his draft position anymore, you'd think someone would be content with what he CAN do. A good third liner for us, his skill level would put him higher easily if someone gets hurt.

League perception kind of reminds me of how Taylor Pyatt is maligned for what he could have been and that ghost follows him everywhere. Pouliot is a guy that Tampa actually wanted to keep, but seeing as how he was arbitration eligible they didn't want to run the risk of being forced to honor whatever number the arbitrators tossed his way. Plus, with the depth they have over there in the forward group his loss wouldn't be monumental to them. I still see some upside there to his game. Would be a great guy to put with an offensive minded third line if Skinner does end up staying down there.

Another guy out there that interests me is still Colton Gillies. At the absolute worst he's a faster skating version of Nicolas Blanchard even if the hands never come through. We need a cheap volume hitter in our bottom six that can actually catch people. He'd be a nice addition.

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER

My Custom Lineup

FORWARDS

Jiri Tlusty ($1.600m) / Eric Staal ($8.250m) / Alexander Semin ($7.000m)
Jeff Skinner ($5.725m) / Jordan Staal ($6.000m) / Elias Lindholm ($0.925m)
Matt Cooke ($1.800m) / Brian Boyle ($1.700m) / Tuomo Ruutu ($4.750m)
Patrick Dwyer ($0.900m) / Riley Nash ($0.735m) / Kevin Westgarth ($0.725m)
Drayson Bowman ($0.600m) /

DEFENSEMEN

Joni Pitkanen ($4.500m) / Justin Faulk ($0.900m)
Tim Gleason ($4.000m) / Andrej Sekera ($2.750m)
Jay Harrison ($1.500m) / Ryan Murphy ($1.313m)
Brett Bellemore ($0.600m) /

GOALTENDERS

Cam Ward ($6.300m)
Justin Peters ($0.538m)

OTHER

Buyout: Derek Joslin ($0.125m)
RETAINED SALARY TRANSACTIONS (1.400% of upper limit)
Jussi Jokinen ($0.900m—0.3%)

------

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $64,135,833; BONUSES: $460,000
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $624,167

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad