Accrued seasons

Discussion in 'Fugu's Business of Hockey Forum' started by Strangelove, Jul 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
View Users: View Users
  1. Strangelove

Strangelove Registered User

Can anyone tell me what they count as "accrued seasons"?

For example, what if a player played a single game in a particular season.... does that count?

And if the 2004-05 cancelled season will be counted as a year of accrued service, there are obviously limits on which players can use that. Which ones? What is the criteria?

2. kmad

kmad riot survivor

If a player had an NHL contract for the 2004-05 season, it counts as an accrued season.

3. BobMckenzie

BobMckenzie Registered User

For the purposes of determining free agency, an "accrued" season is 40 or more NHL games, although the washed out 04-05 season counts as a year of service or an "accrued" season. So when they say a player is a free agent after seven years of accrued service, they're talking seven seasons of 40 or more NHL games per season. At least that is my understanding, although I must admit I didn't commit the CBA to memory yet, and besides it's time to switch gears and get ready for the draft.

4. looooob

looooob Registered User

Home Page:
    so has Dion Phaneuf (for example) accrued a season or not?

players who have never played a single NHL game, yet had contracts for 04-05--although they may have never played in the NHL that year. I"m sure there are less high profile examples that might be more relevant

5. Strangelove

Strangelove Registered User

Thanks Bob.

Big fan here....

6. kdb209

kdb209 Registered User

In the last CBA, "Accrued Season" was used to define UFA eligibility (Group III UFAs needed 4 accrued seasons in addition to age 31 yo).

In addition to the 40 games played "Accrued Seasons" for UFAs, there were 10 games played thresholds for aging ELS contracts and earning a year of experience towards arbitration rights.

How things will be defined in the new CBA is anybody's guess - Hey NHL, release the damn thing will you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.