Speculation: ACC ice

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
Given the type of team the Leafs are becoming - fast, puck moving oriented - something really needs to be done about the ice at the ACC. As the season moves into March/April/May? :laugh: it's going to become more of a problem. I know it's a double, sometimes triple use arena, but the way the ice causes the puck to bounce around really isn't helping this team.

Is it the humidity in the building? The system below ice level? A combination? I'd really love to see them upgrade the surface to better allow this team to become what it can become.

Pyromaniac3

Dec 19, 2011
Toronto
Ice was exceptionally bad tonight. Puck was bouncing all over the place. It did result in few goals for us but sooner than later it's going to bite us.

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
I was also astonished when I heard the comment that JVR said that the ice was usually bad there.

Is that actually true. I am beyond astonished if this is actually true.

How can Toronto Maple Leafs, TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS, have bad ice. What is the explanation for this.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
The ice has been crap since it's existence. Concerts,the raptors,the Leafs etc has led to it being like that. Most arenas get used and abused, that's the reality of it.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
I was also astonished when I heard the comment that JVR said that the ice was usually bad there.

How can Toronto Maple Leafs, TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS, have bad ice. What is the explanation for this.
Again, just because it's the Leafs doesn't mean anything. They're owned by a few corporations. You think they care what the ice is like? They're trying to squeeze as many events in as possible.

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
It's been an issue for a while.

I'll make a guess why: The World Cup & the World Juniors. Decals were painted and repainted back to the Leafs logo before/after each of the events. I wonder if the ice never formed a good base layer. Then you add in the regular schedule of Raptors games, concerts, lacrosse, the odd Marlies and CWHL game, morning skates...

Other than that... I can't think of a reason why it'd be this bad. It was bad circa 2006 or so but MLSE paid big bucks to put in a new dehumidifier-air conditioner. Unless that's on the frizz... what other reason could there be?

Last edited:

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
Again, just because it's the Leafs doesn't mean anything. They're owned by a few corporations. You think they care what the ice is like? They're trying to squeeze as many events in as possible.

They don't?

They should.

And I disagree.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
It's been an issue for a while.

I'll make a guess why: The World Cup & the World Juniors. Decals were painted and repainted back to the Leafs logo before/after each of the events. I wonder if the ice never formed a good base layer. Then you add in the regular schedule of Raptors games, concerts, lacrosse, the odd Marlies and CWHL game, morning skates...

Other than that... I can't think of a reason why it'd be this bad. It was bad circa 2006 or so but MLSE paid big bucks to put in a new dehumidifier-air conditioner. Unless that's on the frizz... what other reason could there be?

the thing is - apparently this season everyone's ice is bad this season
it is crazy.

Feb 24, 2004

It's been noticeably bad all season to me - seen guys falling and pucks bouncing all over the place. Anyone else?

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Back when Chad Kilger was a Leaf, I went to a practice, and he came out and answered some questions and talked to us, and he bashed the ice way back then as well.

The ice at the ACC has never been great

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
players of other teams have always criticized the acc ice. Does any team that shares a building with a NBA team have a reputation of good ice?. I wish the leafs had their own arena and the raptors their own, but im not a basketball fan so its easy for me to wish that im sure some of you raptors fans love having them in the ACC.

note: I know the ACC originally was supposed to be only for the raptors

Hawkey1967

Tim Horton
May 15, 2006
Except that the NBA is on there All-Star break. The Raps haven't been using it, and it was still awful last night.
Although to be fair, I do not know the ACC concert schedule.

JonnyMacAwesome

Jan 27, 2016
Ottawa, ON
Back when Chad Kilger was a Leaf, I went to a practice, and he came out and answered some questions and talked to us, and he bashed the ice way back then as well.

The ice at the ACC has never been great

I originally read that as Chad Kroeger and was like "Wait a minute, when were we so bad we hired the singer from Nickleback, who also sucks at singing and music in general, to play for us?"

I'm too tired to be awake.

Eb

Feb 27, 2011
Toronto

The Garden, yes the NEW YORK RANGERS, have poor ice.

Slot

Mar 6, 2012
The Garden, yes the NEW YORK RANGERS, have poor ice.

They mostly fixed it in the Renos. There were anecdotes about the ice at msg being so poor that cones were put on the ice in warm-ups to tell players which spots were so thin that they wouldn't take the punishment of warmup and the game without going to bare concrete.

Slot

Mar 6, 2012
Given the type of team the Leafs are becoming - fast, puck moving oriented - something really needs to be done about the ice at the ACC. As the season moves into March/April/May? :laugh: it's going to become more of a problem. I know it's a double, sometimes triple use arena, but the way the ice causes the puck to bounce around really isn't helping this team.

Is it the humidity in the building? The system below ice level? A combination? I'd really love to see them upgrade the surface to better allow this team to become what it can become.

Basically all multi use facilities have crap ice. And almost all NHL rinks are multi use facilities now so the ice in most barns is crap. Notably the worst ones are where NHL and NBA share an arena.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad