Music: AC/DC bassist Cliff Williams is quitting the band

Lost Horizons

Oct 14, 2006
Mass
AC/DC Well, HELLS BELLS!! Our Bassist Is Bailing Too

And then there was one -- AC/DC bassist Cliff Williams is quitting the band ... leaving Angus Young in his knickers as the last man standing.

66-year-old Williams, who's been playing bass since 1977, announced he's tapping out from recording and touring with AC/DC once they wrap up their current world tour ... so he can chill and have some family time.

The band's fallen apart in recent years -- guitarist Malcolm Young quit when he got dementia, drummer Phil Rudd ditched after a drug conviction, and lead singer Brian Johnson lost his hearing.

Axl Rose has been filling in for Brian during the tour ... which is now looking like the last rodeo for the legendary rockers.

TNT87

Jun 23, 2010
PA
He came to this decision a couple of months ago. It was tough enough without Malcolm Young and to a lesser extent Phil Rudd but once Brian Johnson couldn't continue, even though I admit Axl has done a suitable job completing the tour, AC/DC as we know it ended. With Cliff retiring now AC/DC is simply not the same anymore and never will be even if Angus continues playing under the band's name.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
If they continues they will be like Van Halen pretty much, only having a guitarist as an original member.

Time to retire.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
last album was not that bad..but I am a huge acdc fan

for me ACDC at its best was

Bon Scott(not a single bad album with him)
The Youngs
Phil Rudd
Mark Evans on Bass

But the Youngs hate Evans(he sued for several million and won big time)

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/ac-dc-rock-or-bust-last-show/

final set list

Oh c'mon. That lineup's back in...what, 75? 76? And what did Mark Evans bring to AC/DC that Cliff didn't? Did he bang out those 8th notes better? Did A, E and sometimes B get better served? The single least interesting thing about AC/DC is the bass playing, and I say that as both a bass player and someone who grew up cranking AC/DC.

As a musician, they're one of the bands you love when you're learning how to play the very, very basics. As a bassist in the 80's, you're just doing so many 8th notes...it hurts. Yeah, 12 bar blues. Look it up if you don't know it; it's every single AC/DC song. And ZZ Top. That kind of stuff.

But also, Ac/DC is one of the great Rock and Roll bands. 40 years of popularity? That's so rare. Amazing they got this far playing the nuts and bolts they did, but all good things.

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin
Props to Cliff!:handclap:

Time to end it Angus. Don't make a mockery of the band.

AC/DC, along with the Stones, is the greatest pure rock 'n' roll band ever.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad