Pre-Game Talk: Absolutely Nothing Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ToeMcDrag83

5-14-6-1
Aug 25, 2010
Oil Country
Boys did super well to take 2 on the road. Great position to finish it off at home.

I'll never count chickens before the eggs though. 3 wins is not 4 wins. No round 2 talk for me until we actually make it to round 2. And sports has done weirder things than 3-1 series leads being flipped. As early as last year with Bos-Fla.

I'm confident they will get it done, but always with that asterisk of a crazy fast beating heart until it happens.

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
The 8:30 puck drop on the Sunday was the one that was particularly ridiculous. There was absolutely no reason that the Caps/Rangers game at 6 couldn't have been played earlier in the day like those two teams do literally every weekend so that our game could have been at a reasonable hour.

Same goes for Wednesday. Why do we need to announce an 8pm start time now? It's possible that we will be the only game that night, can we just wait?
No because the stars will be playing earlier?

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
As someone who was upset the Oilers let him go, and extremely skeptical of hiring mcdavids junior coach and Coffey from the OBC, have to say I'm glad the change was made. Defensively the Oilers are better team most nights.
Was never a fan of this coach and I know he got his jobs in hockey due to connections. He was first to congratulate himself and take credit for teams success. I won't miss him anymore than I would miss the personality of Dallas Eakins. Both are high on themselves.

To me its a bad look to go right out and say that you haven't even watched the Oilers and made a decision not to do that. To me that speaks further to Woody being his own star and that the players, their lives, their futures, it didn't matter as much. Not following the Oilers and shutting off that chapter speaks to shutting off relationships, turning the page as if didn't exist.

Dave Tippett in contrast remained connected with some people, continued to be a support to the widow of Colby Cave, and has a positivity around treating people and orgs with respect. Guys like that get more hockey gigs faster in a small hockey world.

Should I even mention that the blossoming of players like Holloway occurred AFTER Woody was let go. Not everything that smiles is charming.

Woodys demeanor after the Calgary win to me was odd. In his mind he was petulantly waiting for Sutter as if he'd personally won the series against a multiple time SC winning head coach. No, his team won the series. The team that is better without Woodcroft.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Was never a fan of this coach and I know he got his jobs in hockey due to connections. He was first to congratulate himself and take credit for teams success. I won't miss him anymore than I would miss the personality of Dallas Eakins. Both are high on themselves.

To me its a bad look to go right out and say that you haven't even watched the Oilers and made a decision not to do that. To me that speaks further to Woody being his own star and that the players, their lives, their futures, it didn't matter as much. Not following the Oilers and shutting off that chapter speaks to shutting off relationships, turning the page as if didn't exist.

Dave Tippett in contrast remained connected with some people, continued to be a support to the widow of Colby Cave, and has a positivity around treating people and orgs with respect. Guys like that get more hockey gigs faster in a small hockey world.

Should I even mention that the blossoming of players like Holloway occurred AFTER Woody was let go. Not everything that smiles is charming.

Woodys demeanor after the Calgary win to me was odd. In his mind he was petulantly waiting for Sutter as if he'd personally won the series against a multiple time SC winning head coach. No, his team won the series. The team that is better without Woodcroft.

Funny you mention Eakins as well. Eakins went out of his way including taking on a press conference on the way out to show support for the players that failed him much in the same way he failed them. Granted that may have come from a place of narcissism but that may be why he didn't stay out of work long.

Meanwhile, here's Woody basically saying he couldn't give two licks about his past team despite them employing him for almost ten years and ultimately giving him opportunities for his first head coaching gigs both at the AHL level and NHL level. The team also includes many players that he coached for 4 or more years in various capacities.

Now without the context of the entire interview, maybe that's not what's going on here and ultimately I think this is the first we've heard of him since being let go so it may be too much to focus on this specific interview, but I think this will be something to watch.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

If you're Kane though everybody is a small little guy. hehe

I like that he took the time and Doughty too because its good to get words to the officials. a type of leadership. I think Kane kept to the message, was in control, let the official know he wasn't angry, just bringing up the slewfoots. Doughty doing his own chirping was saying "Kaner you do this all the time" which isn't true.

I like that the whole team is a lot more vocal on ice to themselves, to officials and very important that its addressed with calm, as the official requested. good exchange all round except for Doughty trying to make it whattaboutism.

Been happy too that Desharnais has not lost it yet this playoffs and that the whole team has had more focus not getting drawn in. The team is being much better at not reacting. Kane included.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Funny you mention Eakins as well. Eakins went out of his way including taking on a press conference on the way out to show support for the players that failed him much in the same way he failed them. Granted that may have come from a place of narcissism but that may be why he didn't stay out of work long.

Meanwhile, here's Woody basically saying he couldn't give two licks about his past team despite them employing him for almost ten years and ultimately giving him opportunities for his first head coaching gigs both at the AHL level and NHL level.

Now without the context of the entire interview, maybe that's not what's going on here and ultimately I think this is the first we've heard of him since being let go so it may be too much to focus on this specific interview, but I think this will be something to watch.
For sure we don't get the whole interview or clip but the part about "haven't watched or followed the Oilers since and made a decision not to" is pretty clear. Its clear disconnection, and to people and to an org.

Like I contrasted Dave Tippett was here through some of the most trying times. Took a team that missed playoffs two seasons in a row and was freefalling to get it back into playoff contention and all during a pandemic when it was challenging for everybody. On top of that he had to deal with the death of a lineup player and did that with the utmost compassion and for the Mrs Cave who he still is there for. Those are the kind of people I want in my life. Not somebody that just walks away never looking back.

I do believe Woody is a Narcissist and Eakins too. Never attracted to either. I liked KK from the moment I read up on him.

Heres an interesting thing. A guy like Klim Kostin followed the money because it was his only chance to do that. Guy made 4M instead of the minimum contract or 1M that was on table here. Nor did Kostin turn anything down, no contract was offered by the Oilers. Woody is a guy that would bench and scratch Kostin any time he could. That didn't even use him much in Vegas series despite Kostin being good and critical in LA series.

Well theres Kostin still bleeding Blue in the stands following the Oilers and supporting the team he played for only briefly. Theres Woody refusing to even watch the club and saying so. Different paths in the woods taken I suppose.

What Woody seemingly doesn't realize and you could see even the panel were a bit uncomfortable with his answer is that it connotes that he really doesn't care what happens to people. Not on enough of a level to even have ever watched how they do. Complete disconnection.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
That's about the quality of argument I would have expected out of that overweight child.

"BUT YOU DO IT TOOO!"
Doughty has never been up for sainthood. But kind of bro talk too. Doughty and Kane have seen each other in the playoffs a fair amount. The respect of both is that they will go out there and take the hardest hits that anybody can dish out and spring back up. they've nailed each other with the best they got and smiled about it after. Its one of the things I love about hockey and hockey players.

When I was a kid I'd read anything I could about the hockey players and one of the things that struck me was that after the Habs would beat the Bruins or other teams that some time in offseason the players would go out fishing and drinking and having a grand old time. There was a respect, comradery, and knowing they were birds of a feather despite team and logo. These being guys that would fight on ice, play bloodsport mayhem, and then be spending time together in offseason.

Hell Rocket Richard, Leafs player used to drink together at a famous spot in the Old Selby Hotel in Toronto after games. Riots on ice and tall cool ones after it. Theres nothing like hockey.

Kinibo

Apr 11, 2013
If you're Kane though everybody is a small little guy. hehe

I like that he took the time and Doughty too because its good to get words to the officials. a type of leadership. I think Kane kept to the message, was in control, let the official know he wasn't angry, just bringing up the slewfoots. Doughty doing his own chirping was saying "Kaner you do this all the time" which isn't true.

I like that the whole team is a lot more vocal on ice to themselves, to officials and very important that its addressed with calm, as the official requested. good exchange all round except for Doughty trying to make it whattaboutism.

Been happy too that Desharnais has not lost it yet this playoffs and that the whole team has had more focus not getting drawn in. The team is being much better at not reacting. Kane included.
How great is it to see everyone on the team keeping their cool this time around? Heads down, playing the game the right way and not letting all the other crap get in the way. I've noticed this with Nurse in particular, and I've been watching him closely given his antics and subsequent suspension last year. It seems there's a lot more focus now, and maybe that shows they've learned something along the way.

Gives me hope that something special is brewing here. A guy can dream right?

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
How great is it to see the everyone on the team keeping their cool this time around? Heads down, playing the game the right way and not letting all the other crap get in the way. I've noticed this with Nurse in particular, and I've been watching him closely given his antics and subsequent suspension last year. It seems there's a lot more focus now, and maybe that shows they've learned something along the way.

Gives me hope that something special is brewing here. A guy can dream right?
I have to wonder if some of this isn't also coming from the calm cool KK or from Coffey being a legend D that anybody would listen to. Coffey would have some sage advice and speaks to how he interacts with players. He's so honest with them. Can be sharp at times but the players know its in their best interests to listen. Biggest turnaround to me has been with Booch and Desharnais.

Yep. Nurse is composed, more confident and more playing within system now. He hasn't been angry as far as I've seen. Nothing like winning though to make you feel better about your game.

Team isn't taking stupid penalties for the most part and being far less reactive and more in control. One doesn't control or effect much if one is not first in control of ones self.

Reactions: Kinibo

timekeep

Apr 28, 2010
Oh man, I’d love one of those sandwiches right now. My mouth is watering.

Had the opportunity to eat at Katz’ Deli in NYC a few years ago. The food was beyond wonderful and the atmosphere almost indescribable. Itbwas like you stepped into 1953. Old style chrome and Formica tables, a dozen industrial meat slicers going non stop behind the counter, the pictures of who has eaten there around the place was nostalgic. The ticket system to get in and then to get out was something to experience - do NOT lose your ticket while eating... it will cost you. And yes the table where Harry and Sally had their lunch has a sign signifying. Everyone wants to eat their sandwich there.

View attachment 862435
Thats cool, I have been to Schwartz's and Dunn's in Montreal, probably some others as it used to be a staple to have Montreal Smoked meat in Montreal for our business trips. The Texans loved it.

stewy04

Jun 19, 2016
As someone who was upset the Oilers let him go, and extremely skeptical of hiring mcdavids junior coach and Coffey from the OBC, have to say I'm glad the change was made. Defensively the Oilers are better team most nights.
I went to bed at 11:40 pm on Sunday cause I get up for work at 6 and it was 2nd intermission. I'm central time. No wonder they got no views!

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Thats cool, I have been to Schwartz's and Dunn's in Montreal, probably some others as it used to be a staple to have Montreal Smoked meat in Montreal for our business trips. The Texans loved it.
Been there also. Pretty awesome Rueben but the Rye was marbled instead of dark. Didn't think the bread was the best and even toasted didn't hold up. They pile the meat on.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Will be in Montreal for the first time 3 weeks today. I'll have to try and remember this. Will be looking for the best possible authentic poutine I can find.

jesusbuiltmyhotrod

Feb 27, 2021
It's impossible to navigate this site on your phone because 3/4 is filled with ads. When you accidentally click on one, it sends you back to the beginning of the page.
It’s pretty awful. Imagine having such bad mobile user experience in 2024 when everyone is on a phone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad