About @#$% time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
CD - Boston

The Jackets leaned on special teams and a fine performance by goalie Martin Brodeur to hold on for their first win of the season, a 2-1 road victory over a powerful Bruins squad.

Once again Columbus took the game to their opponents, outshooting the Bruins in each of the first two periods. Columbus opened the scoring in the first minute of the second while in teh dying seconds of a powerplay carried over from the first period. Slava Kozlov tapped in the rebound of a Mark Bell wrister for his third goal in 24 hours.

The Bruins answered midway through the second. Jeremy Roenick turned the puck over crossing into the Bruins' zone, and in the ensuing odd-man rush Wade Redden trailed as the third man. When Trevor Linden left a drop pass for him at the top of the circle, Redden stepped up and fired a laser to the top corner past a screened Brodeur to tie things up.

That goal took the wind out of the Jackets' sails, and they played very defensively for the remainder of the game. However, Martin Brodeur showed none of the shakiness that had characterized his starts so far this year, making 10 saves in the period and giving young blueliner Joni Pitkanen the chance to make up for the cross-checking major he took in the second period. With Brad Stuart serving a double-minor late in the third, Pitkanen teed up a one-timer on a nifty saucer pass from Mike Leclerc, and his shot deflected off a Bruins defender and behind Marty Turco to put the Jackets ahead for good.

No doubt Stuart and the Bruins will be hearing from their coach in teh post-game debrief about disciplined play late in games, but in fairness, both teams played very disciplined hockey, with each teams getting only two powerplays. The Jackets were able to make good on both their PP chances, and their PK continued its strong play, denying both Bruins chances with the man advantage.

The star of the night, however, was Brodeur, who stopped 22 of 23 en route to earning first-star honours, not to mention the Jackets' first two-point game of the year.

"About (expletive deleted) time", Brodeur was heard observing when his teammates rushed to congratulate him at the closing horn.

He qualified his comments afterwards.

"The guys have been playing so well in all of these games, and aside from the one game in Edmonton I just haven't been there for them. I've just been awful. I want to thank Coach (Mike Babcock) for sticking with me while I ironed some things out. I'm just glad I could be there tonight to do my part for the team. I hope I'm past all that crap now. I hate losing."

On the bright side, despite having been winless in their first 4, the Jackets have earned at least a point in 4 of their 5 games, and are now at .500.

The Jackets are back home tomorrow night for their second game of the young season against Central Division rival Detroit. In their first game of the season, Columbus made HFNHL history by being the first team to "earn" a point for an overtime loss. It's a memory they'd like to erase, and while the record will remain, they get a chance to make new memories tomorrow night as they look to build on tonight's success.

Milo Minderbinder
Coumbus Discoverer

HFNHL Red Wings

Nice subject line Douglas, I'm sure that will look great on the homepage :p:

You realize if a small miracle occured tonight, and you somehow managed to beat the Wings, you would move past me by one point. That same point that you, from a purist view, thought should be taken away. :sarcasm:

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
HFNHL Red Wings said:
Nice subject line Douglas, I'm sure that will look great on the homepage :p:

You realize if a small miracle occured tonight, and you somehow managed to beat the Wings, you would move past me by one point. That same point that you, from a purist view, thought should be taken away. :sarcasm:

I'm glad you approve. ;)

Oh, and by the way, you might want to look up the word "hubris". :sarcasm:

HFNHL Red Wings

Ohio Jones said:
I'm glad you approve. ;)

Oh, and by the way, you might want to look up the word "hubris". :sarcasm:

Bah ... darn lit majors.

Vaive-Alive

Mar 3, 2004
Toronto, Ontario
Humbug

Humbug - Your jackets take out Nedved - I go on to lose :madfire: - now I have to host the Sens tonight without my top LW. Ugh Doug - your Jackets are a pain - however, I am not totally disappointed with my Bruins - unfortunately I don't have much scoring depth on the left side and didn't get many shots away after the 1st which can be attributed to the loss of the Nedvedmeister.

I would have won that game with my normal lines out there ;)...ARGGGHHHHHH.

By the way, we should do pints soon.

Kruegs

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
Vaive-Alive said:
Humbug - Your jackets take out Nedved - I go on to lose :madfire: - now I have to host the Sens tonight without my top LW.

While I grant you it helped to have Nedved out for the game, my guys weren't assessed a penalty on the play, so he probably just slipped on teh fresh ice and sprained his butt... but in any event he's still at 97%, so he's available for the Sens game.

Vaive-Alive said:
By the way, we should do pints soon.Kruegs

Drew and I were talking about that just yesterday. Time to spread some Christmas cheer! When's that Quain guy in town?

Vaive-Alive

Mar 3, 2004
Toronto, Ontario
He's in town next week - we've got a work xmas party on the night of the 15th. However might be able to do something the night of the 14th or the 16th. Academy would be good.

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
Vaive-Alive said:
He's in town next week - we've got a work xmas party on the night of the 15th. However might be able to do something the night of the 14th or the 16th. Academy would be good.

I'd lvoe o go back to the Academy, but I'm on a budget these days, and that place is not cheap. I'm otherwise occupied on the 14th, but maybe if we did Gretzky's on the 16th? :dunno:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad