Abdelkader is a liability the wings cannot afford to have

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Forgive the ignorance, since I don't think I was checking the forums at the time, but why exactly did most people think it would be a good idea to sign an injury-prone center from a lousy team to a long contract? He had red flags all over him.
At the time he wasn't so much "injury-prone" as he had just had one injury that kept him out a long time. He had a proven track-record of playing center and producing 50+ points, something Filppula didn't. He was a player with some grit and ability to go straight to the net and get ugly goals, again something Filppula didn't. And I think many hoped that he could actually improve being surrounded by more talent than he had been on Florida.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
At this point, the hyperbole is so strong on this board that I can't tell when people are being serious or taking the mick. So now we're moaning about a bunch of 13th forwards and 8th defenceman. CC wasn't too bad when he was actually healthy, I was quite surprised when Holland bought him out.

Yes we are. They were poor decisions, especially wasting 3 years or more on Cory Emmerton. Glendening is another waste in my eyes. Kindl for like 8 years before waiving his lame ass? How many players do we waive that no one wants? What if management had an ounce of vision or guts to trade for another prospect? The Wings scouting, drafting, and player development is not as high and mighty as suggested since forever. Did I mention Cleary? We bring up another bust Andersson knowing he's returning to Sweden? Small errors add up to big failure.

I am truly pissed as a fan. I wasn't excited about a 40 year old Alfie with a broken back in his last NHL season. That was weak. Red Wings are a burial ground for former NHL players- Modano, Alfredsson, Commodore, Lewand, Cole, Samuelsson. We can go on with the ridiculous "moves" Holland has made the last 6 years it is bizarre.

Colaiacovo like Lashoff was a total bust and a complete waste of energy. When I show up to work for you I can't fail and then apologize that "in hindsight" I would have accomplished the job. No one here is an idiot- Filppula wanted out I'm pointing to the pathetic patches of Weiss and Alfredsson after losing two important young forwards and the arrogance to dole out dead crap to Wings fans. I guess Illich is a master of that what do you expect.

Passing on Quincey is not an off-season move. Neither is acquiring Green when fans have been suggesting the signing the last 3 years. Holland and Co. IMO are incapable of making an aggressive change for the better. Management has done nothing the last seasons of note that deserves any type of praise or defense.

It's not all on Holland it's Chris Illich, Ryan Martin, Jim Devellano, and Jiri Fisher. The Wings are falling HARD and there's something rotten in Denmark. Every day that passes of the SC finals I am revolted how irrelevant mangement has made the DRW. We are far from the top and the immediate future is EXTREMELY dim, no exaggeration.

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
Yes we are. They were poor decisions, especially wasting 3 years or more on Cory Emmerton. Glendening is another waste in my eyes. Kindl for like 8 years before waiving his lame ass? How many players do we waive that no one wants? What if management had an ounce of vision or guts to trade for another prospect? The Wings scouting, drafting, and player development is not as high and mighty as suggested since forever. Did I mention Cleary? We bring up another bust Andersson knowing he's returning to Sweden? Small errors add up to big failure.

I am truly pissed as a fan. I wasn't excited about a 40 year old Alfie with a broken back in his last NHL season. That was weak. Red Wings are a burial ground for former NHL players- Modano, Alfredsson, Commodore, Lewand, Cole, Samuelsson. We can go on with the ridiculous "moves" Holland has made the last 6 years it is bizarre.

Colaiacovo like Lashoff was a total bust and a complete waste of energy. When I show up to work for you I can't fail and then apologize that "in hindsight" I would have accomplished the job. No one here is an idiot- Filppula wanted out I'm pointing to the pathetic patches of Weiss and Alfredsson after losing two important young forwards and the arrogance to dole out dead crap to Wings fans. I guess Illich is a master of that what do you expect.

Passing on Quincey is not an off-season move. Neither is acquiring Green when fans have been suggesting the signing the last 3 years. Holland and Co. IMO are incapable of making an aggressive change for the better. Management has done nothing the last seasons of note that deserves any type of praise or defense.

It's not all on Holland it's Chris Illich, Ryan Martin, Jim Devellano, and Jiri Fisher. The Wings are falling HARD and there's something rotten in Denmark. Every day that passes of the SC finals I am revolted how irrelevant mangement has made the DRW. We are far from the top and the immediate future is EXTREMELY dim, no exaggeration.

How in the hell is Glendening a waste? Tampa had to injure him last year to take him out for a game so they could win the series. He's that important for us. And how many millions of dollars do we spend on him? Oh right.... If there was an importance-per-contract-dollar metric, I'm sure Glendening would top that list league-wide.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
Complaining about our 4th line center seems a bit silly to me, given the issues on the rest of the team. Guys like Glendening and Miller aren't the ones holding us back, and especially not at their cap hits, nor are they even slightly emblematic of any actual team management issues.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad