OT: Abbotsford Heat Leaving?

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
read on the sharks board that there has been discussion about a possible Pacific AHL division starting in 2015-16 season. Would feature 4 teams or so. Probably a couple farm teams in Cali, one in seattle, and one around Vancouver.

Huh thanks for the info. Pretty ballsy.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
read on the sharks board that there has been discussion about a possible Pacific AHL division starting in 2015-16 season. Would feature 4 teams or so. Probably a couple farm teams in Cali, one in seattle, and one around Vancouver.

I know it's been considered for a while at least, but is the project really still happening? 4 probably isn't enough, but if 7-8 teams committed, it would probably be a worthwhile venture.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.

With Flames in Abbottsford having to bail to the east, who's going to want to be first to move? I won't believe it until it happens.

YouppiKiYay

Jul 3, 2011
Bellingham, WA
Fwiw

AHL president says western movement, Pacific Division “probably will happenâ€

"We have been involved in a process over the last two years or so. Starting with eight of the National Hockey League teams that are Western-based and moving down to about five of them that are active right now who are looking to get closer to the Pacific Coast at some point.

“Recently it’s heated up again and we’ve been looking at what the process will be and how it might take place and what the timelines might be. But, we still haven’t identified markets, neither have they, on where they would like to place teams on the West Coast … while we’re closer to it happening, we’re not sure when it would happen, or to tell you the truth, if it would happen.

“There are still a number of hurtles … we’re not going to create more American Hockey League franchises. So to relocate five of them at one time, or more than five perhaps, is a very significant challenge.â€

“We’re supportive of that and willing to assist those West Coast teams in achieving their objectives,†Andrews said. “It’s going to be a challenging process to get it done. Over time Ithink it probably will happen.â€

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
Serrrrrrrrriously. Went when Utica was in town. Trying to leave was the longest hour of my life. Parking lot for 5000+. 1 Exit. Who plans this nonsense?

I'd just guess that it was the same people that did the cost/benefit analysis of giving the Calgary Flames a sweetheart deal to have their AHL affiliate there.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
Makes me red how much the Flames bled that municipality just because they could.

Contrast that to the Canucks, restoring proud hockey tradition to a small town.

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
Makes me red how much the Flames bled that municipality just because they could.
Don't get mad at the Flames - they were offered a free gift. I don't blame them for accepting it. And I loathe the Flames in general.:laugh:

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
When they interviewed Abby's mayor he was quoted as saying "We underestimated the appeal of the Canucks in this market."....YA THINK????

Wetcoaster

Contrast that to the Canucks, restoring proud hockey tradition to a small town.
CS&E wanted even more concessions when they were looking at putting their AHL affiliate there to replace the Heat according to reports. That was a very short conversation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad