GDT: Abbotsford Canucks PLAYOFFS GDT | AHL.TV | Abby WINS, Going to R2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brookbank

Nov 15, 2022
I think the farm success only proves that Podz and Hogs should be on the big team. To have Lockwood and Pederson in place of them looks like a tank. So carry on I guess

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I think the farm success only proves that Podz and Hogs should be on the big team. To have Lockwood and Pederson in place of them looks like a tank. So carry on I guess

I don't think you'll find much disagreement that Podkolzin and Hoglander kind of got the shaft. Ditto for Rathbone - that was three promising young players who just couldn't seem to get a fair shake with Bruce.

Putting them in Abbotsford with Colliton and actually letting them play seems like the best course of action until Bruce is ultimately replaced.

I don't have much against Bruce, but I did find this all to be irksome.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
I don't think you'll find much disagreement that Podkolzin and Hoglander kind of got the shaft. Ditto for Rathbone - that was three promising young players who just couldn't seem to get a fair shake with Bruce.

Putting them in Abbotsford with Colliton and actually letting them play seems like the best course of action until Bruce is ultimately replaced.

I would even add there is clearly something going on in the room, let them get away from that mess too.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003

I would even add there is clearly something going on in the room, let them get away from that mess too.
For what it's worth I recall JR saying (I think it was him, may have been someone else) that they want to get to a stage where prospects can bake well on the farm and then bring them up when they are legitimately ready to make a consistent contribution. Getting away from the mess that is the parent club right now is a bonus.

Reactions: racerjoe

Brookbank

Nov 15, 2022

I opposed it at the time but maybe not now.

It just seems contradictory if they really are trying to make the playoffs or win. If you're really trying to win, you have to have one of Podz or Hoglander on the team. Podz was top 10 in points for his draft class before being sent down. Hoglander was way over achieving in his draft class too. They are just better players than whoever they were replaced with.

One being sent down is fine. But both is contradictory

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
Farm success doesn't prove that one bit. Pederson and Lockwood were major contributors to that success. Pederson scored 17 goals in 18 games.

Reactions: tyhee

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Farm success doesn't prove that one bit. Pederson and Lockwood were major contributors to that success. Pederson scored 17 goals in 18 games.

Yeah Pod and hog are hardly blowing up the.AHL. Hoglander has 3 goals 6 points in 10 games.

Pod has 4 goals 13 points in 19 AHL games to go with his 0 goals 3 points 16 AHL games. If he was some no name waivers claim would anyone be clambering for his return?

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
Yeah Pod and hog are hardly blowing up the.AHL. Hoglander has 3 goals 6 points in 10 games.

Pod has 4 goals 13 points in 19 AHL games to go with his 0 goals 3 points 16 AHL games. If he was some no name waivers claim would anyone be clambering for his return?
Podkolzin and Hoglander are very good at the AHL level, better than what the points suggest and they tilt the ice in Abbotsford's favour. But Pederson and Lockwood were playing very well, too, and those were the two guys who basically swapped spots with Pod and Hog.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Podkolzin and Hoglander are very good at the AHL level, better than what the points suggest and they tilt the ice in Abbotsford's favour. But Pederson and Lockwood were playing very well, too, and those were the two guys who basically swapped spots with Pod and Hog.

Another way of looking at it. They went from 3 C with 4 established wingers and two open spots

C: Pettersson Miller Horvat
W: Kuzmenko Garland Boeser Mikheyev ???? ????

To:

C: Pettersson Horvat
W: Miller Kuzmenko Garland Boeser Mikheyev

2 centres and 5 established wingers competing for 4 spots.

It's a mess and it's better for both of those younger players to get more playing time.

THRILLHOIAF

Jul 26, 2019
You'd think 650 could have, say, a regular fifteen minute spot on Abbotsford at some point in the afternoon, something to take the place of talk about best fast-food joints, perhaps. The interview with Colliton was very good. Why not an interview with somebody in coaching or management once a week? That doesn't seem like a lot.

If 650 ever wants to call! I have no problem ditching my dayjob for 20 minutes every morning to provide my thoughts/analysis on the Farm :laugh:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
As the season winds down in Vancouver, the games become less and less meaningful.....and you know there's going to be road games where the Canucks basically 'mail it in'.

Not a good environment for younger guys like Podkiolzin, Hoglander, Ratbhone etc. Let them marinate playing big minutes for a team with long playoff aspirations in Abbotsford.

I'm fine with using journeyman like Dries, Pederson and Stillman up top just to get through another lost season. For that matter, what's the point of rushing Demko back? The two AHL netminders are just fine for the tank.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
Coming off of Sunday's loss, Abbotsford hosts a three-game series against Calgary tonight, Fri and Sat. I've decided to watch Abbotsford while listening to Vancouver-Tampa. Abbotsford came out solidly on the first few shifts but then Silovs gave up the worst goal of the season to hand the Wranglers an early 1-0 lead.

Reactions: Jay26 and Lindgren

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
Hoglander put his defensive zone issues on display, first needlessly chasing in the corner, then late recognizing the open man, then a weak effort to block the shot where all he did was screen Silovs. 2-0.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
I can only take so much, so with a cumulative 5-0 score against the Canucks teams I have turned off the Vancouver debacle and am listening to soothing music while watching Abbotsford. Silovs with a big save on a PK to keep the deficit at 2-0. Team has not looked good since the first few minutes.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
First period ends 2-0 with shots 16-4 Calgary. The rest of the team seemed more rattled by the awful first goal than Silovs did; he played alright after that gaffe while the forwards and defencemen were outplayed badly in the last 13 minutes of the period. Haven't seen anything like that in a long time from this team. Klimovich was benched after a shift where he coughed up the puck twice in his own zone and took a hooking penalty.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
Team has come out with good purpose in the opening eight minutes of the second period and has been helped by two Calgary penalties-- including the Wranglers' second too many men penalty of the game-- but just not sharp enough with the puck. Klimovich was stopped on a clean breakaway.

Reactions: Jay26 and Lindgren

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
Abbotsford had five PP's in the second period, Calgary had none but the score remained 2-0 until the last 20 seconds when Podkolzin showed good skill to score a nice goal at 5v5 and cut the deficit in half.

Calgary is doing a good job of challenging Abbotsford on the PK and not giving the point man time to make plays or opportunity for shooting. The few decent chances came on cross-ice passes from the side boards.

Reactions: Jay26 and racerjoe

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
Wolanin with a nice cross-ice pass from the left boards in the offensive zone catches the whole Calgary team and the goalie on that side of the ice, Bains fires the puck into the gaping net and we have a 2-2 game with six minutes to go.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
Seven seconds into OT, Nathan Phillips (AHL goal scoring leader, I think), breaks in on the wing, catches Silovs cheating a little toward the middle of the net in anticipation of a possible pass and beats him short side for a 3-2 Calgary win.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Thanks for the recap, Blue and Green.

How is Bains looking, in your estimation? His numbers are pretty solid for an undrafted player in his first year of pro, but wondering what your thoughts are.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
Thanks for the recap, Blue and Green.

How is Bains looking, in your estimation? His numbers are pretty solid for an undrafted player in his first year of pro, but wondering what your thoughts are.

Bains is a smart player, a hard worker, a fine passer, is defensively responsible and aware, and makes relatively few bad errors. The remainder is rather ordinary by AHL standards.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
It looks like Podkolzin is starting to heat up......this stint for Podz and Hoglander will make a huge difference in their development.

One of the few rays of positivity in an otherwise dismal Canuck season.

Reactions: Lindgren

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Thought Wednesday’s game was the best game Podkolzin has played since being sent down. His goal was him at his best and was skating better and much more involved in the play.

Thought Silovs recovered really well after allowing an absolute howler on the 1-0 goal.

Bains continues to impress.

Hoglander’s skating and puck handling is dynamic at this level but everything is individual and in bursts. Isn’t working well within the framework of his line even though he’s playing with two very intelligent players. Defensive positioning is bleh.

Aman continues to impress with flashes of real skill since being sent down.

Reactions: Jay26 and Deezone
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad