Traded Aaron Luchuk and 7th for Matthew Peca

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Peca is getting a tryout to be our Ennis for next year. They liked him when he was FA and they are giving him a look now.

Will we ever be able to acquire a 7th rounder? Who knows. I doubt it. But sometimes you just need to take a massive risk and give up your 19th highest pick to take a look at a guy that you think may be able to be a player for you for the next year or two.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
The Veronneau trade was bad but at least we could say that they were giving the dude a better chance to make it with the Marlies.

This one? What is this? We gave a pick to basically acquire cannon fodder? I don't get it.
I would assume this is for 20 games of cannon fodder and to help Belleville in the playoffs.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I like how some people hop to pass judgment before a single game is played for us, as though it’s a legit perspective.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
I like how some people hop to pass judgment before a single game is played for us, as though it’s a legit perspective.

On Peca? You're acting like there's not a body of work out there to judge him off of already.

Doesn't mean he can't come in and turn it around in a new environment here (hello Duclair) but nothing on his resume would indicate he's anything more than filler (which is fine, given that's basically what his role is down the stretch).

Maybe I'm misinterpreting your point?

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
On Peca? You're acting like there's not a body of work out there to judge him off of already.

Doesn't mean he can't come in and turn it around in a new environment here (hello Duclair) but nothing on his resume would indicate he's anything more than filler (which is fine, given that's basically what his role is down the stretch).

He plays a style D.J will like and could end up as a 4th liner next year he is really fast, I really dont mind it that was the sens 14th pick of the draft lol. Like by then I am sure they will have all the players they legitimately liked.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
He plays a style D.J will like and could end up as a 4th liner next year he is really fast, I really dont mind it that was the sens 14th pick of the draft lol. Like by then I am sure they will have all the players they legitimately liked.

I don't mind the organization taking a shot on someone they've (apparently) liked for some time. I disagree with their assessment of Peca if they think he's someone who can play in the lineup of a competitive NHL team, but I've got no issue giving him a trial run and seeing what they have.

My issue was more with Tray's point about people passing judgement on a player that has yet to suit up for the Sens, like there isn't a body of work out there already. People who have seen him play before can actually provide an interesting perspective or scouting report on the player. Saying "it's not a legit perspective" just seemed a little silly to me and I was looking for clarification.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I don't mind the organization taking a shot on someone they've (apparently) liked for some time. I disagree with their assessment of Peca if they think he's someone who can play in the lineup of a competitive NHL team, but I've got no issue giving him a trial run and seeing what they have.

My issue was more with Tray's point about people passing judgement on a player that has yet to suit up for the Sens, like there isn't a body of work out there already. People who have seen him play before can actually provide an interesting perspective or scouting report on the player. Saying "it's not a legit perspective" just seemed a little silly to me and I was looking for clarification.

Agree with everything you have to say here.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa

I've seen him play a number of games in the NHL and AHL and I just don't see anything in him. Don't know why you'd give anything up. Like it'd be fine to sign him to a 2 way deal next year to play mostly in Belleville but he doesn't seem at all the kind of guy who should be on a NHL team. I really hope they aren't actually interested in him being here going forward. We really need to be bringing in better players.

Will never be a fan of giving away draft picks for nothing. Why not just pick up a warm body in any of the other half dozen moves over the last week?

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria

I’m not sure what there is to misinterpret.

He looked fine on our team last night, and most importantly, as Bert said, he continues the trend of all our roster players being able to play the style of play that we do, and perhaps contribute to the culture of being extremely difficult to play against.

He was picked up to finish out the season so that the kids could stay in Belleville, and perhaps earn a bottom line spot next season if he shows that he can stick. Next year should also be a tougher year in the standings, another year of development over seriously trying to win, and we will still need some solid players to fill out the roster even after adding a few more kids. Finding guys here and there to audition before having to commit, is a good idea in my opinion.

My point is that the player serves a different purpose on our team than he did for the Habs, and we really should let him play a game or two before deciding that he can’t fulfill that role and was a waste of a pick up.

I honestly think that it’s common sense, and shouldn’t need much explanation.

Guys talk about how easy it is to just grab a player whenever, but that’s a throw away statement. When you’re looking for the right type of player to add to a rebuild, for the short term, I can understand being discerning, and being willing to pay chump change to have a look.

You guys are acting like I’m being outlandish by suggesting we watch the guy play on our squad before passing judgment. He was brought in for a reason, let’s see if we can see it!

Last edited:

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Obviously I have nothing to base this one, but this trade seemed to be more of a knee-jerk reaction to either missing out on a guy who was on waivers (Timoshev), like a uh-oh, we no longer have enough players to play the game tonight, who can we acquire that we kinda like that is currently somewhere where we can get him on a plane to get to Columbus ASAP. I find it hard to believe that this was a player that Dorion targeted, he may have fit the mold of the type of player needed, but he is what he is, a warm body to finish the season.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
My point is that the player serves a different purpose on our team than he did for the Habs, and we really should let him play a game or two before deciding that he can’t fulfill that role and was a waste of a pick up.

You guys are acting like I’m being outlandish by suggesting we watch the guy play on our squad before passing judgment. He was brought in for a reason, let’s see if we can see it!

Yip, his role is to be roster filler to let our young guys play in the AHL. He's got no future with this organization past this year.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008

An entirely reasonable take. Some of us have seen him play on various teams and at various levels before, so hearing from those "in the know" about what we can expect from him seems like worthy discussion to me as well. Personally I enjoy the banter around here getting peoples immediate thoughts about the deals (even ones as minor as this!) but I also don't blame you for wanting to see (for yourself) what we've got in this guy.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
An entirely reasonable take. Some of us have seen him play on various teams and at various levels before, so hearing from those "in the know" about what we can expect from him seems like worthy discussion to me as well. Personally I enjoy the banter around here getting peoples immediate thoughts about the deals (even ones as minor as this!) but I also don't blame you for wanting to see (for yourself) what we've got in this guy.

I also enjoy people’s takes, I guess I just don’t find “pointless waste of a pick” meaningful in any fashion.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad