Aaron Ekblad vs Jakub Chychrun

Who would you pick moving forward?

• Total voters

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Two absolute beastly young #1 defenders who have finally started to get recognition this season killing it in non-traditional hockey markets. Gotta think both are going to be Team Canada staples sooner rather than later despite fierce competition. Their 82-game pro-rated stats below since Ekblad has been hurt and is now behind in games played. But Ekblad was also awesome last year so I feel comfortable that neither of these are flukes are mirages but merely huge young highly touted defenders who have realized their powers.

Aaron Ekblad
Vitals: 6'-4", 215 Pounds
Shoots: Right

Ice Time
TOI/GP: 25:05
PP TOI/GP: 3:53
SH TOI/GP: 2:31

Per 82 Stats
26 Goals, 52 Points, 77 PIM
EV Points: 26
PP Points: 26
Shots: 237

Jakub Chychrun
Vitals: 6'-2", 210 Pounds
Shoots: Left

Ice Time
TOI/GP: 23:12
PP TOI/GP: 2:51
SH TOI/GP: 0:50

Per 82 Stats
27 Goals, 60 Points, 64 PIM
EV Points: 42
PP Points: 18
Shots: 239

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
This season Chychurn has been better but I'd take Ekblad if I had to add one onto my team. This year was a long time coming for Ekblad and he's slowly been progressing into a #1Dman. Chychrun could repeat this performance but I think Ekblad is more proven so he gets the nod for me

Last edited:
Reactions: Voight

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Ekblad for already having put together two seasons of elite #1D play. Absolutely disgusted that that injury shut down his great season.

Hopefully we have the chance to see the pair play together on Team Canada...maybe as soon as 2022?

Would be interesting if they went for all young guns.

Girard-Makar
Theodore-Hamilton
Chychrun-Ekblad
Chabot-Parayko

Of course, Doughty, Letang, Pietrangelo, Nurse, Rielly, Weegar, Toews, Morrissey, Spurgeon, etc. may have something to say. :naughty:

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Ekblad for already having put together two seasons of elite #1D play. Absolutely disgusted that that injury shut down his great season.

Hopefully we have the chance to see the pair play together on Team Canada...maybe as soon as 2022?

Would be interesting if they went for all young guns.

Girard-Makar
Theodore-Hamilton
Chychrun-Ekblad
Chabot-Parayko

Of course, Doughty, Letang, Pietrangelo, Nurse, Rielly, Weegar, Toews, Morrissey, Spurgeon, etc. may have something to say. :naughty:

Canada’s blueline depth is filthy at the moment - that’s at least three complete blue lines that could be pretty dominate.

Was not expecting such an overwhelming margin for Ekblad here because Chychrun is truly on an unbelievable run but I grant that extra year of proven dominance and being on a very good team means something at the moment. I do think when all is said and done these two are going to be pretty neck and neck - I think Chychrun’s trajectory given his slightly younger age is pretty on par with Ek.

Reactions: Dominance

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad