Value of: Aaron Ekblad to Edmonton

Niten Ichi Ryu

Jul 1, 2018
After cruising in and around the Florida board, fans seem to be split on Ekblad. Some say he's still a future cornerstone quarterback, that's still a young man with undiscovered potential, and others say his development hasn't progressed since his rookie season and are demanding a major shake up while he still has high trade value.

Realistically, if things continue to go south in Florida and Tallon puts Ekblad on the table, what would be the ask from Edmonton? And Edmonton fans, do you pursue him and give up a major asset in return?

Reactions: ThreeOfAPerfectPair

Steerpike

We are never give up
Feb 15, 2014
Colorado
After cruising in and around the Florida board, fans seem to be split on Ekblad. Some say he's still a future cornerstone quarterback, that's still a young man with undiscovered potential, and others say his development hasn't progressed since his rookie season and are demanding a major shake up while he still has high trade value.

Realistically, if things continue to go south in Florida and Tallon puts Ekblad on the table, what would be the ask from Edmonton? And Edmonton fans, do you pursue him and give up a major asset in return?

Have you tried trading Taylor Hall and a second?

Reactions: Brock Radunske

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
7.5 million is a lot for what he brings tbh. Lucic or Sekera would have to go back, which is probably a non-starter for the Panthers.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

Problem is cap

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
We need a goalie. The only reason things are going south is because of goaltending.

We are not good trade partners

Reactions: Laus723

RichBaster

Feb 18, 2015
7.5 million is a lot for what he brings tbh. Lucic or Sekera would have to go back, which is probably a non-starter for the Panthers.
Because of the future expansion draft, no one is going to want Lucic because of that NMC. Sekera is possible though since his NMC becomes a modified NTC after this season. He is more likely done though as a top 4 d-man with the back-to-back injuries that you need to give something of actual value to go along with Sekera.
We need a goalie. The only reason things are going south is because of goaltending.

We are not good trade partners
If thats the case, then maybe pursue something involving Talbot and Reimer as part of the deal. Thats obviously dependent on how they view Koskinen as well as the likelihood of re-signing Talbot.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
I don't see it unless it's something like Ekblad for a same aged player former high pick whose kinda available.

Maybe something like Draisaitl for Ekblad, I am sure Edmonton fans are cringing though.

Reactions: Kid Icarus

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Edmonton would definitely have to include Sekera for cap purposes.
Edmonton could trade Talbot but he is a pending UFA so his value is limited.
The kicker would be the asset that would make this worthwhile for Florida. Would a pick and D prospect do it?

Edit: I understand that the Panthers might not want futures for Ekblad. Totally get that. We can't part with Draisaitl. :(

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
True that Larsson for Hall deal was pretty horrendous.

I don't think other teams, or other fanbases, should count on another Hall for Larsson trade. Counting on a GM to make a bad trade to help your team is an unreliable way to fix your lineup. Chia is on a short leash according to everything we hear out here. The standard refrain "yeah this is a crap trade for Edmonton, but Chia..." is pretty tired.

Not dumping on Ekblad, Far from it. Don't see the Oilers dealing Draisaitl for him. If that is the ask, and the only ask, there is no deal to be done here.

Reactions: 780il and ujju2

McNuge

Dec 17, 2010
Cambridge Ontario
Can't trade Drai for him, which would be the ask. Going from 3 capable top 6 players to 2 isn't going to do us any good. Would love Ekblad but I can't see how this gets done. Really do not want to include Bouchard in any deal either, which I'm sure would need to be in it.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
Because of the future expansion draft, no one is going to want Lucic because of that NMC. Sekera is possible though since his NMC becomes a modified NTC after this season. He is more likely done though as a top 4 d-man with the back-to-back injuries that you need to give something of actual value to go along with Sekera.

Yeah Sekera I consider basically a dump. Would need to add much more value. Just saying that FLA would have to take back a big contract too.
You're right about Lucic, terrible contract and a terrible player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad