Proposal: Aaron Ekblad For Mitch Marner

yzerman

Apr 23, 2017
Sweden
Fan bases of these teams would you do the trade straight off?

I should add i am a Toronto fan and think this is a tricky one ,many parameters to look at

Last edited:

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Value might be there, but i wouldn't as a Leafs fan. My reasoning? I have had an epiphany recently regarding all of the "D to Leafs" threads. Unless we can upgrade using JVR+, i want to go with status quo. I am not prepared to move the big 3 at this stage, lets see what we have in Dermott/tge Swedes/Nielson/Liljegren.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
Marner doesnt get ekblad 1 for 1 Toronto needs to add

If healthy he is worth more. He was great when he was playing, a bit overrated as per FLA fans but legitimately still had a lot of upside. But he's missed a lot of time now in some critical development years.

He's had some bad concussions within a short time frame. It's a fair amount of risk to take on with the length of his deal + the cap hit.

I think it would be better to discuss this with the opinions of Fla fans on this. They are generally, one of the most knowledgeable, objective, and generally non-confrontational fanbases on this entire site.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
The only thing making it close to even in value is that Marner is on his ELC. Otherwise Toronto adds big time.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
You'd have to add Barkov to Ekblad for me to even consider giving up Marner.

Come on, I am a Leaf fan and this is ridiculous. Problem is Leaf fans fall in love with their players and therefore cannot look at deals objectively. Unless there are serious concussion concerns Ekblad >> Marner.

Patrik Barkov

Jun 25, 2016
If Ekblad stays healthy and can continue his development, Florida doesn't do it unless Toronto adds. But it really isn't a horrible proposion in my opinion. Marner is a stud.

varano

Jun 27, 2013
Fan bases of these teams would you do the trade straight off?

I should add i am a Toronto fan and think this is a tricky one ,many parameters to look at

Wow thats a tough one. Even value.

SML

Mar 13, 2002
Visit site
Im not a follower of either team, but I will say this.
Ekblads concussion thing troubles me. He may be a better player when he's on the ice, but how frequently he will be somewhere else concerns me.
I don't really see the point of getting a guy like Ekblad. Toronto has a young fast exciting team. You don't need to add players like you're collecting hockey cards. There are solid players and there are the type that make those around them better. I think you already have some of the latter. Let them do that. You can't just keep adding high draft picks and names in the cap era. You're going to run out of road when they all walk in to negotiate contracts and have all this credential behind them. What Toronto needs are some damn good scouts to find players not only at the amateur but the pro level who have the tools and the temperament to do the job. To find the guys no one else is looking at. Because when you are going to have guys on your roster eating huge cap like Matthews and probably Marner one day will, you have to cut corners somewhere else. When you do you have to make sure it's on cost and not on quality. A solid move in my mind is to give Marner some of the best looks and opportunity you can and get his value as high as possible then put the sale sign out at the peak of his value. But not for a guy who's tag is higher.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Not a fan of Ekblad's development curve. It's a scenario I wouldn't be comfortable with 1-on-1, and Leafs would likely have to add something.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
If that were an offer and you were just "considering" it, you'd be laughed at.

I'm not sure I take Ekblad for free nevermind for Marner.

- Has only had one great year, as a rookie, playing with a vet who at the time was a #1 D, and has not been able to replicate that success in two season after.

- In fact, he has regressed every season since then when asked to play harder minutes and be a #1 D.

- Despite this, he is paid as a #1 D making 7.5 AAV for the next 8 years (Starts this season).

- Not only is he at this point a cap dump as he is in no way close to worth his contract, he has legitimate health concerns. Already on his 7th concussion. Who knows if this kid even plays past 25 at this point.

Do I acknowledge he has potential? Sure, he can be a #1 D some day if things go right. As of now? He is vastly over paid, injury prone, and when combining these two things, is an anchor for a franchise trying to sign their stars up long term like the Leafs.

Never mind giving up Marner who has none of these concerns.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Come on, I am a Leaf fan and this is ridiculous. Problem is Leaf fans fall in love with their players and therefore cannot look at deals objectively. Unless there are serious concussion concerns Ekblad >> Marner.

Perhaps if this was still 2015. I swear to god a player in small markets gets a reputation on this site and it follows them for years even if it no longer applies.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
As many have stated his health concerns are what would prevent me for being will to go after him, furthermore I don't think we need to start trading any of the brig three just yet. Still would prefer Trouba.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
I'm not sure I take Ekblad for free nevermind for Marner.

- Has only had one great year, as a rookie, playing with a vet who at the time was a #1 D, and has not been able to replicate that success in two season after.

- In fact, he has regressed every season since then when asked to play harder minutes and be a #1 D.

- Despite this, he is paid as a #1 D making 7.5 AAV for the next 8 years (Starts this season).

- Not only is he at this point a cap dump as he is in no way close to worth his contract, he has legitimate health concerns. Already on his 7th concussion. Who knows if this kid even plays past 25 at this point.

Do I acknowledge he has potential? Sure, he can be a #1 D some day if things go right. As of now? He is vastly over paid, injury prone, and when combining these two things, is an anchor for a franchise trying to sign their stars up long term like the Leafs.

A bit extreme but you outline the risks well with him. We'd definitely take him for free though without question....I mean if the contract is insured, and if his concussions are a huge issue + he can't play anymore. We'll just LTIR him.

But regardless, you go through a physical for any trade so I'm sure we'd clear it if we're speaking hypothetical's.

When healthy, he was a bit overrated, but he WAS definitively, worth more than Marner in a vacuum. The problem is, he's already making a premium of a contract, which was based a lot on his upside. And his upside has not been tapped in some critical years due to some alarming head injuries. Once you factor in all that risk, I'm not sure you trade Marner for him.

He is definitely one of those players...which had so much pedigree before he stepped foot in the NHL, and projects great with his size, tools, etc. Gets a bit overlooked being in a smaller market and is valued on the former (pedigree, projection, etc.) by the casual fan..until you read more into his trajectory so far.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Ekblad is worth more than Marner for sure but I'd like to see more out of him before I'd feel comfortable taking on that huge contract. He hasn't come close to earning it since his rookie year.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Im not a follower of either team, but I will say this.
Ekblads concussion thing troubles me. He may be a better player when he's on the ice, but how frequently he will be somewhere else concerns me.
I don't really see the point of getting a guy like Ekblad. Toronto has a young fast exciting team. You don't need to add players like you're collecting hockey cards. There are solid players and there are the type that make those around them better. I think you already have some of the latter. Let them do that. You can't just keep adding high draft picks and names in the cap era. You're going to run out of road when they all walk in to negotiate contracts and have all this credential behind them. What Toronto needs are some damn good scouts to find players not only at the amateur but the pro level who have the tools and the temperament to do the job. To find the guys no one else is looking at. Because when you are going to have guys on your roster eating huge cap like Matthews and probably Marner one day will, you have to cut corners somewhere else. When you do you have to make sure it's on cost and not on quality. A solid move in my mind is to give Marner some of the best looks and opportunity you can and get his value as high as possible then put the sale sign out at the peak of his value. But not for a guy who's tag is higher.

Excellent post.
Build the core and surround them with role players and young kids. Rinse and repeat a la Chicago during their reign

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
The injury issues are greatly exaggerated. He's missed 19 games in 3 seasons. Defensemen have longer development periods then forwards. It's not even value 1 for 1, Ekblad is worth more. It's much harder to kind defensemen with #1 upside then it is forwards with first line upside.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad