Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Regina Amber Alerts

Regina

Coach - Ted Nolan

Andrew Brunette - Olli Jokinen - Joe Lamb
Danny Grant - Robert Reichel - Jeff O'Neill
Buzz Boll - Kelly Kisio (A) - Chico Maki
Eddie Shack - Cully Dahlstrom - Mike Keane (A)

Brad Marsh (C) - Bruce Driver
Scott Hannan - Kent Douglas
Dave Manson - Bill Brydge

Viktor Konovalenko
Nikolai Khabibulin

spares: Jack Marks (W/D), Dolly Swift (C/D), Warren Godfrey (D), Serge Bernier (RW/C)

PP1: Brunette - Jokinen - Lamb - Driver - Douglas
PP2: Grant - Reichel - O'Neill - Manson - Brydge
PK1: Dahlstrom - Keane - Marsh - Hannan
PK2: Boll - Maki - Manson - Brydge

Rum River

Coach: Terry Crisp

Shawn Mceachern-Don Raleigh-Blaine Stoughton
Jeff Friesen-Michal Pivonka(A)-Earl Robinson
Andre Pronovost-Larry Patey-Lucien Deblois
Jim Riley-Mike Bullard-Scott Young

Ted Graham-Doug Lidster(C)
Chris Phillips(A)-Paul Martin
Hy Buller-Uwe Krupp

Bill Ranford
Jim Henry

Bench: Cecil Blachford, Johnny Sheppard, Kyle Mclaren, Tobias Enstrom

Special teams:

PP 1: Mceachern-Raleigh-Stoughton-Lidster-Martin
PP 2: Friesen-Bullard-Robinson-Buller-Graham

PK 1: Pronovost-Patey-Graham-Phillips
PK 2: Pivonka-Deblois-Krupp-Martin

Last edited:

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Regina Amber Alerts

Regina

Coach - Ted Nolan

Andrew Brunette - Olli Jokinen - Joe Lamb
Danny Grant - Robert Reichel - Jeff O'Neill
Buzz Boll - Kelly Kisio (A) - Chico Maki
Eddie Shack - Cully Dahlstrom - Mike Keane (A)

Brad Marsh (C) - Bruce Driver
Scott Hannan - Kent Douglas
Dave Manson - Bill Brydge

Viktor Konovalenko
Nikolai Khabibulin

spares: Jack Marks (W/D), Dolly Swift (C/D), Warren Godfrey (D), Serge Bernier (RW/C)

PP1: Brunette - Jokinen - Lamb - Driver - Douglas
PP2: Grant - Reichel - O'Neill - Manson - Brydge
PK1: Dahlstrom - Keane - Marsh - Hannan
PK2: Boll - Maki - Manson - Brydge

Rum River

Coach: Terry Crisp

Shawn Mceachern-Don Raleigh-Blaine Stoughton
Jeff Friesen-Michal Pivonka(A)-Earl Robinson
Andre Pronovost-Larry Patey-Lucien Deblois
Jim Riley-Mike Bullard-Scott Young

Ted Graham-Doug Lidster(C)
Chris Phillips(A)-Paul Martin
Hy Buller-Uwe Krupp

Bill Ranford
Jim Henry

Bench: Cecil Blachford, Johnny Sheppard, Kyle Mclaren, Tobias Enstrom

Special teams:

PP 1: Mceachern-Raleigh-Stoughton-Lidster-Martin
PP 2: Friesen-Bullard-Robinson-Buller-Graham

PK 1: Pronovost-Patey-Graham-Phillips
PK 2: Pivonka-Deblois-Krupp-Martin

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
I was hoping seventies would jump in 1st but I'll do so:

Coaching:

Ted Nolan vs. Terry Crisp:

Both are among the best coaches at this level. Nolan was known as always getting the best out of his players but always seemed to wear out his welcome, as to Crisp he was fiery. How players react to the style of their coaches could be key to who wins this series.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Again, no rebuttal so let me add in some more thoughts about the forwards:

1st lines:

Brunette and Mceachern both appear to be the glue guys for the lines. Stoughton and Jokinen the goal scorers. i guess LAmb will add in some glue as well. Raleigh is going to be my playmaker here, will you get jokinen to double as a playmaker or have Lamb do that?

2nd lines:

I said in the assisnation thread that I liked your 2nd line better than your 1st and I still do. 1 thing I would like to have answered is who will play the defensive responsibilities on your team's 2nd line. Grant, Reichel and O'neil are all decent offensive players with O'neil offering some grit but what about defense? On my 2nd line we have Pivonka who will play defense as well as offer some playmaking. Goalscoring on my 2nd line will be covered by Robinson, Jeff Friesen offers some grit and decent offense as well.

Third Line:

My checking line got a lot of rave reviews, it's a pure checking line, Pronovost-Patey-Deblois are all pure checkers and maybe don't offer much in the way of offense. Your 3rd line has 3 good grit players who can also chip in with offense. Boll and Kisio are all good 3rd liners who can play a good 2 way game. Not so sure on Maki's 2 way game but I do know he's good offensively.

4th Line:

Your 4th line reads more like your checking line than does your 3rd line. If our 4th lines are matched up it's going to be quite the difference as my 4th line will be my energy line that is used late in games. Young will probably be the defensive glue on the 4th line but other than that this battle is offense vs. defense.

Those are my thoughts on the forwards, looking forward to your rebuttal.

BubbaBoot

Oct 19, 2003
The Fenway
Visit site
Just because, (I was doing some research on Reichel to add to his bio):

437800-img-sport-hokej-reichel-holik-jagr.jpg

Robert Reichel / Jaromir Jagr / Bobby Holik

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Just because, (I was doing some research on Reichel to add to his bio):

437800-img-sport-hokej-reichel-holik-jagr.jpg

Robert Reichel / Jaromir Jagr / Bobby Holik

I'm not seeing anything, did your post go through properly?

edit: strange, I can see this on mobile, but not on my PC.

Last edited:

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
I was hoping seventies would jump in 1st but I'll do so:

Coaching:

Ted Nolan vs. Terry Crisp:

Both are among the best coaches at this level. Nolan was known as always getting the best out of his players but always seemed to wear out his welcome, as to Crisp he was fiery. How players react to the style of their coaches could be key to who wins this series.

As far as coaching goes, I don't see any reason to believe either of these coaches will be the reason either team wins or loses the series.

Again, no rebuttal so let me add in some more thoughts about the forwards:

1st lines:

Brunette and Mceachern both appear to be the glue guys for the lines. Stoughton and Jokinen the goal scorers. i guess LAmb will add in some glue as well. Raleigh is going to be my playmaker here, will you get jokinen to double as a playmaker or have Lamb do that?

In what world is Brunette a glue guy? The toughness on this line is supplied by Lamb. Brunette is the playmaking winger and Jokinen the goalscoring center; it's pretty simple.

I'm not sure you know enough about these players to comment if you think Brunette is a glue guy and wonder who's doing the playmaking.

Brunette was 9th in the NHL in assists in the 2002 season, 3rd among wingers. He was also 13th another year and just out of the top-20 two other times. Comparing to Raleigh's best years (2nd, 11th, 11th, 12th, 16th, in a six-team NHL with shallower talent pool) and there's no major difference, although granted Raleigh has a higher single season spike than Brunette ever had.

If we just look at overall offensive production these two lines aren't really close. Regina's three 7-year VsX scores are 438, 479, 371, and Rum River's are 394, 416, 393. Lamb is the weakest producer on either line, but he's also brings, by far, the most toughness on either line. McEachern can barely be called a glue guy, given his size and lack of ability to win puck battles (as scouting reports confirm annually).

In summary, neither line has a huge defensive presence, Regina's glue guy is much more of a physical threat than Rum River's, and the overall offensive record of Regina's line is a good 7% better (not a small amount when talking about whole lines). It should be clear which line is built to be more effective.

2nd lines:

I said in the assisnation thread that I liked your 2nd line better than your 1st and I still do. 1 thing I would like to have answered is who will play the defensive responsibilities on your team's 2nd line. Grant, Reichel and O'neil are all decent offensive players with O'neil offering some grit but what about defense? On my 2nd line we have Pivonka who will play defense as well as offer some playmaking. Goalscoring on my 2nd line will be covered by Robinson, Jeff Friesen offers some grit and decent offense as well.

Yes I would agree there is more defensive ability on your 2nd line than Regina's, but let's not overstate the difference, either. Pivonka is sometimes referred to as a good two-way player over the years in his scouting reports (moreso in his later years) but he spent essentially his entire career in an offensive role with a far superior scorer on his wing. Reichel was put in a two-way role for the last 1/3 of his career, and though he wasn't really all that good at it, he was at least responsible and at least has experience playing a defensive and PK role. The difference between these two as two-way players is smaller than you're letting on.

Physically, there is no question that Regina's line is better equipped. O'Neill was inconsistent but when he was on, he was a league-leading hitter: he literally led the NHL in hits one season. Friesen was gritty and could throw his weight around from time to time, but he was not a frequent or intimidating physical player, and he's the best you've got on this line. The other four players here are non-factors.

Offensively, there's just as large a difference here between these teams as there is on the first line. The 7-year scores for Regina are 456, 450, 386, and on Rum River, 397, 400, 372. A sweep all the way, and about an 11% edge overall for Regina. A little bit more defense on Rum River isn't overcoming the large offensive difference and O'Neill's physical domination of Friesen.

Third Line:

My checking line got a lot of rave reviews, it's a pure checking line, Pronovost-Patey-Deblois are all pure checkers and maybe don't offer much in the way of offense. Your 3rd line has 3 good grit players who can also chip in with offense. Boll and Kisio are all good 3rd liners who can play a good 2 way game. Not so sure on Maki's 2 way game but I do know he's good offensively.

First, you've got it backwards on Maki. His defensive and penalty killing games are well-known; it's his offense that is questionable. He has pretty good numbers for a 3rd liner in the AAA, but he also played a lot with Bobby Hull so I wouldn't put full stock in them.

You're correct about the offensive difference here. The weakest scorer on Regina's line (Maki, 342 7-year VsX) has a similar offensive record to the best on Rum River's line (Patey, 354)

Defensively, Patey's definitely the strongest here. There's no doubt about that just looking at his selke record. But Boll doesn't appear to be that far behind him either, looking at the quotes about him, he appears to be one of the better two-way forwards and secondary scorers of his time. Pronovost we know very little about, other than he played on a checking line, we know nothing about how good he was at it and how he was viewed on a league-wide basis (I've read nothing saying he's among the best, for example).

Kisio and DeBlois are contemporaries, and having done extensive bios on both, I'm not sure what's all that different about them, aside from Kisio being faaaaaaar more talented. Kisio received two selke votes in his entire career, so as good as he was as an all-around player, I'm not trying to sell him as a defensive star. The thing is, DeBlois received none, so there's little reason to see him as any better, all things considered.

There is a slight defensive advantage on your third line, mainly thanks to Patey, the only one here who really ever stood out from the pack in that regard. But there is a huge difference (approximately 35%) in the overall offensive ability here, and it does matter.

4th Line:

Your 4th line reads more like your checking line than does your 3rd line. If our 4th lines are matched up it's going to be quite the difference as my 4th line will be my energy line that is used late in games. Young will probably be the defensive glue on the 4th line but other than that this battle is offense vs. defense.

Those are my thoughts on the forwards, looking forward to your rebuttal.

"Energy" line???

A one-dimensional goal scoring center, a speedster with a small bit of two-way ability, and a goal scoring LW with little else known about him other than he played with HHOFers in every game he ever played?

There's more "energy" in Eddie Shack's little finger than there is in that whole line. Never mind Keane and Dahlstrom, two hustling two-way guys themselves.

It's true that based on raw point scoring ability, there's about a 25% advantage in Rum River's favour here, but that's what happens when a 4th line is built seemingly only with offense in mind, with little regard to any other factors. Furthermore, I wouldn't even be sure that this line would generate more scoring than Regina's 4th in the long run, considering it's very poorly built, with three players heavily biased to goal scoring. Bullard scores 1.07 assists per goal, Young 1.2 and Riley 0.31. (Riley's ratio isn't fair considering there weren't that many assists in the PCHA, but consider he was twice top-10 and four times top-20 in goals in my consolidated offense project, and just twice barely top-20 in assists, at a time when 20th often had less than half of 10th). This line is just not built in a way that a line successful at anything is built.

summary:

- Offensive and physical advantages on the 1st lines for Regina, defensively similar
- offensive and physical advantages on 2nd lines for Regina, defensive advantage for Rum River
- major offensive advantage on 3rd lines for Regina, defensive advantage for Rum River
- better offensive players on 4th line for Rum River, but badly built line lacking any notable skills other than goal scoring compared to a well built, well-balanced, traditional 4th line with offense, defense, toughness, agitation energy, and leadership.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Yes I made a typo on Maki, I meant he was better defensively than offensively. Also I always thought Brunette to be more a glue guy as well but now that I think about it I remember reading he was a good playmaker as well.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Defense is the subject of today's talking points:

Pairing 1:

Brad Marsh-Bruce Driver vs. ted Graham-Doug Lidster:

I think both pairings employ the classic offense defense pairing. Marsh and Driver are 2 guys I've always been huge fans of so solid 1st pairing from your side. Graham's offensive game is better than Marsh's but that shouldn't decide this series.

Pairing 2:

Scott Hannan-Kent Douglas vs. Chris Phillips-Paul Martin

Looks like another classic offense-defense battle here with Hannan and Phillips doing the defense with Douglas and Martin doing the offense. What can you tell me about Douglas' defensive game? All I can see is his offense. I think Martin is purely offense only, wondering about Douglas if he has a 2 way game or offense only?

Pairing 3:

Dave Manson-Bill Brydge vs. Hy Buller-uwe Krupp

Your 3rd pairing reads as one that's going to be very physical but also chip in offensively as well which always is good to have on your 3rd pairing. My 3rd pairing reverts back to the classic offense defense pairing, reading up on Buller I see he was good physically as well, should be a good battle and whoever plays better physically and stays out of the penalty box could win this series.

I look forward to your rebuttal.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Defense is the subject of today's talking points:

Pairing 1:

Brad Marsh-Bruce Driver vs. ted Graham-Doug Lidster:

I think both pairings employ the classic offense defense pairing. Marsh and Driver are 2 guys I've always been huge fans of so solid 1st pairing from your side. Graham's offensive game is better than Marsh's but that shouldn't decide this series.

I think you're mistaken about Graham's offensive game. Marsh would lose an offensive comparison to almost any other defenseman, but not Graham. Marsh's best 7 seasons in defenseman VsX total 164, and Graham's total 147. You are right that this is not really relevant. I think Graham and Marsh are fairly even. In Marsh's favour, we have a wealth of information available to us that tells us exactly why he was such a solid and useful player. In Graham's case, he was 7th in all-star voting twice - he earned a combined 7 voting points, so don't put too much stock into them, but someone at least thought he was special.

In the case of Lidster and Driver, though, I have a clear preference. Both players played about 22 minutes a game for about 900 games (Driver with the slight but insignificant edge in both cases), but Driver did it for much better teams - his teams were 4% better than average during his career; Lidster's were 7% worse than average. And being that they were #1-3 defensemen most of the time, their personal levels of performance did have something to do with that. We could split hairs over who was better in what individual areas, but Driver was definitely the more valuable overall player.

If Marsh and Graham are a wash, Driver should give our first pairing the edge.

Pairing 2:

Scott Hannan-Kent Douglas vs. Chris Phillips-Paul Martin

Looks like another classic offense-defense battle here with Hannan and Phillips doing the defense with Douglas and Martin doing the offense. What can you tell me about Douglas' defensive game? All I can see is his offense. I think Martin is purely offense only, wondering about Douglas if he has a 2 way game or offense only?

I've already gone on record as saying Hannan and Phillips are practically the same player, so again, we could call that a wash.

Douglas definitely reads as a guy who was more valuable offensively than defensively. Unfortunately, his career is hard to get a read on, because for some of his best seasons, he was an AHL/NHL tweener, stuck behind an all-world Toronto defense but likely better than a dozen other NHL defensemen playing on other teams, having to spend his time on the bench or toiling in a league he was overqualified for. By the time expansion hit, it was too late to see what he might have done at his best, but he did eat a good amount of minutes and score very well on the PP, so we know that much at least.

Martin is a great defensive defenseman, I'm surprised you don't realize what you have with him. If he was no good defensively there'd be no reason to draft him in the AAA. Being that he's a more all-around player I have no problem calling him a better player than Douglas. I drafted Douglas to ensure I had enough competent PP defensemen but at even strength play, Martin is surely more proven.

Rum River has the better pairing for even strength play thanks to Martin's advantage over Douglas.

Pairing 3:

Dave Manson-Bill Brydge vs. Hy Buller-uwe Krupp

Your 3rd pairing reads as one that's going to be very physical but also chip in offensively as well which always is good to have on your 3rd pairing. My 3rd pairing reverts back to the classic offense defense pairing, reading up on Buller I see he was good physically as well, should be a good battle and whoever plays better physically and stays out of the penalty box could win this series.

I was kinda looking forward to series debates this draft, where I'd be able to pull out the fact that Brydge had a season where he was considered top-5 in the NHL according to voting and how my opponent has nothing close to that on their third pairing. But look what I'm up against - Hy Buller, an actual NHL 2nd team all-star. Buller was definitely valuable offensively, so it was either defense or anti-semitism or a combination of both, that kept him out of the NHL long-term.

Brydge is still an embarrassment of riches for a third pairing in the AAA, and I couldn't watch him fall any further. He lasted for 8 seasons worth of games, which is great for a pre-expansion player, but he also did it for some pretty brutal teams which should curb my enthusiasm somewhat. He did, however, have a peak season nearly as good as Buller's and lasted in the NHL over twice as long, plus there's more substantiation of his defensive ability. I'd take Brydge by a hair, but it's nothing too drastic.

Manson vs. Krupp? Interesting one, because both had a good deal of tools but often had mental problems putting it all together to be great players. Still they both managed to be useful for a long time - Krupp for 22.1 minutes a game, for 729 games for teams 8% better than average, Manson for 21.5 minutes a game for 1150 games for teams 3% below average. Those numbers make Krupp look better, but note that from 1988-89 through 1997-98, Manson played 727 games (the same as Krupp did in his whole career) and played 24 minutes a game, scoring 328 points (47 more than Krupp). So you could say that from 1989-1998, he had an Uwe krupp career, during which he was comparable defensively, better offensively, and a heavyweight fighter, and in the six seasons bookending those ten, he was still a useful crease clearer/thug type guy. Easily had a better and more noteworthy career than Krupp.

I'd give Regina the 3rd pairing edge on account of Manson over Krupp.

In summary, at even strength I expect Regina to marginally outperform Rum River because we take two wins in positional comparisons, one loss and three virtual washes.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Goaltending is the subject of today's arguments:

Viktor Konovalenko/Nikolai Khabibulin vs. Bill Ranford/Jim Henry

I think if you said Konovalenko was the best goalie in this draft no one would argue with you. Just a solid goalie who could pass for a MLD player even in this year's smaller drafts. I like Bill Ranford and all but I'm willing to admit defeat in the #1 goalie battle though Ranford could step up and make things interesting. As to the backups I prefer Henry to Khabibulin. Khabibulin was a bit to inconsistent for my liking and Henry could step in and be a competent #1 should Ranford get hurt or not play up to snuff. Still Konovalenko is a big hurdle for the Renegades to overcome, not impossible though.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Goaltending is the subject of today's arguments:

Viktor Konovalenko/Nikolai Khabibulin vs. Bill Ranford/Jim Henry

I think if you said Konovalenko was the best goalie in this draft no one would argue with you. Just a solid goalie who could pass for a MLD player even in this year's smaller drafts. I like Bill Ranford and all but I'm willing to admit defeat in the #1 goalie battle though Ranford could step up and make things interesting. As to the backups I prefer Henry to Khabibulin. Khabibulin was a bit to inconsistent for my liking and Henry could step in and be a competent #1 should Ranford get hurt or not play up to snuff. Still Konovalenko is a big hurdle for the Renegades to overcome, not impossible though.

I think Ranford reached heights greater than Konovalenko ever did in the 1990 playoffs and 1991 Canada cup, but other than that he was an average to below average NHL goalie who dined on those past successes. If he catches lightning in a bottle and plays like he did in that 5% of his career, he could steal the series. If he plays like he did in that other 95% of his career, he's in tough here.

PP forwards: These are just rehashings of our top 2 forward lines, and as I've already shown, there is more firepower in my top 6 forwards than Rum River's. However, you did insert the more potent Bullard, and that will shrink the gap considerably.

PP defensemen: Driver and Buller are the best offensive defensemen in this series, though you're underusing Buller. Martin's OK, but not as proven a scorer as Douglas, who was top-2 in NHL PP points by defensemen twice. Lidster managed 300 career points, but was not actually great on the PP, scoring just 10 adjusted PPP per season. Manson, on my 2nd unit, scored 11 per season, over a 40% longer sample, and was also relied on heavily for a wild bomb shot. Graham shouldn't be anywhere near a PP. Brydge is marginally behind Manson as a scorer, but well ahead of Graham (double the career points per game of his contemporary). As PP scorers, I'd rank them like this, giving Regina a marginal edge:

Buller
Driver
Douglas

Martin
Manson
Lidster
Brydge
Graham

PK forwards: Keane and Maki have excellent PK results (35% and 29%, for teams 8% and 24% above average) but Pivonka, Patey and Deblois are ok too (19%, 41%, and 24% usage for teams 19% and 5% better, and 11% worse than average). Still, our post-expansion guys definitely managed better usage and results than those in Rum River. Comparing the pre-expansion guys, Dahlstrom is frequently referred to as a good penalty killer. Was Pronovost? Boll could be called somewhat of a question mark in that regard but overall our PK forwards are more proven.

PK defense: Graham and Phillips are consummate defensive defensemen. So are Marsh and Hannan. Statistically Marsh has the edge but it's safe to say these 4 nearly wash out. Krupp and Martin both had 45% usage themselves, compared to Manson's 33%. Brydge was likely a comparable penalty killer to those two, but Manson was not, so Rum River does have the better overall PK defensemen.

In summary, I expect Regina to have a better powerplay thanks to small but noticeable edges at both forward and defense. The penalty kills should be roughly equally effective. Regina has better forwards; Rum River better defensemen.

Elvis P

Stop! In the name of love/You can't hurry love
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
Edited: Image is in next post.

I'm not questioning 70s choice of starter at all. In one year, The Bulin Wall has gone from pick 33 in the MLD to a backup in the AAA. Is Khabi generally unworthy of being a starting AAA goalie?

Last edited:

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
windows-defender-logo.jpg

I'm not questioning 70s choice of starter at all. In one year, The Bulin Wall has gone from pick 33 in the MLD to a backup in the AAA. Is Khabi generally unworthy of being a starting AAA goalie?

I would say, no, he's not. For starters, he's better than some guys already selected. Second, we're only as deep into the pool of players right now as we typically are by the end of the mld.

Elvis P

Stop! In the name of love/You can't hurry love
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
I would say, no, he's not. For starters, he's better than some guys already selected. Second, we're only as deep into the pool of players right now as we typically are by the end of the mld.
Thanks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad