Radek Bonk, C
Ran McDonald, RW
Jack Campbell, D
Sylvain Lefebvre, D

VS

320px-Seattle_Thunderbirds_logo.svg.png

Thunderbirds

coach Bob Hartley

Bohuslav Stastny - Jiri Novak - Art Farrell (A)
Steve Payne - Gus Bodnar (A) - Bud Poile
Aaron Broten - Jack Brannen - Ryan Callahan
Ville Peltonen - Rudy Migay - Randy McKay
Harry Meeking - Billy "Hinky" Harris - Russ Courtnall

Billy Coutu - Art Moore (C)
Curtis Leschyshyn - Dennis Seidenberg
Randy Gregg - Tom Bladon
Dave Lewis

Niklas Backstrom
Joe Daley
PP1: Steve Payne, Gus Bodnar, Randy McKay, Tom Bladon, Art Moore
PP2: Bohuslav Stastny, Jiri Novak, Art Farrell, Randy Gregg, Dennis Seidenberg
PK1: Rudy Migay, Ryan Callahan, Curtis Leschyshyn, Randy Gregg
PK2: Jack Brannen, Aaron Broten, Billy Coutu, Art Moore [/center]

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
SOVIETS vs. CZECHOSLOVAKIANS

The line duo of Slava Bykov and Andrei Khomutov of the end of the 1980's belong at a higher level of competition and may be the difference in the series.

The Bohuslav Stastny and Jiri Novak line duo of the 1970's played longer together and beat the vaulted Soviets in multiple world championships in a top-6 role.

It's an interesting series dynamic.

Here the 1976 Olympic gold medal game Czechoslovakians and Soviets clap for also-ran surprise Bronze medalists Germans:

1a1a1a1a1a1a1a1a168.jpg

Last edited:

Rob Scuderi

Sep 3, 2009
Good luck VI.

I'm looking for a big series out of McNeil as it's the playoffs, and I think he'll be well supported by my defense.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Bohuslav Stastny is a 2nd team all-star but his linemate with equal offensive chops and multiple defensive references Jiri Novak is voted unworthy of this draft?

LOL.

Me thinks the "Stastny" name influenced voting (he's unrelated to the other Stastnys folks).

Once again it seems bio constructions are beside the point when people don't read them.

There is no rhyme or reason otherwise for praising Bohuslav but dissing Jiri.

OUT.

Prediction: Pittsburgh Pirates voted to SWEEP the series. the two Soviets are certainly 3-star worthy, but apparently the two Czechoslovakians aren't.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Bohuslav Stastny is a 2nd team all-star but his linemate with equal offensive chops and multiple defensive references Jiri Novak is voted unworthy of this draft?

LOL.

Me thinks the "Stastny" name influenced voting (he's unrelated to the other Stastnys folks).

Once again it seems bio constructions are beside the point when people don't read them.

There is no rhyme or reason otherwise for praising Bohuslav but dissing Jiri.

OUT.

Prediction: Pittsburgh Pirates voted to SWEEP the series. the two Soviets are certainly 3-star worthy, but apparently the two Czechoslovakians aren't.

Novak's offensive record is not as good as Stastny's, it's a good 12% or so behind. That's not good to start with, but when you're 12% behind a player and he's your own linemate, you're actually more than 12% behind him. And if Novak was Stastny's equal offensively, he should still be picked far behind him, because at any point in any draft, wingers who can score x points are far rarer and therefore more valuable than centers who can. And that's if they were equals offensively -which they weren't.

And from what you've presented, I'm pretty sure Stastny is much better substantiated as a player with non-offense skills. (I do read bios to get a good understanding of a player - you should try it!)

What does it mean when you say "OUT" at the end of a post? Is that like dropping the mic, on the internet?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad