PP 2: Hartnell-Boldirev-Robinson-Hardy-Pavelski

PK 1: Dahlstrom-Pandolfo-Martin-Marsh
PK 2: Pavelski-Hiller-Hardy-Holden

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
First lines:

My initial reaction, since Khomutov is always very overrated and I've had to really fight to get Golikov up to where he belongs in these drafts, was that Golikov was better than Khomutov by a wide margin.

However, due to Khomutov falling and Golikov getting a bump (both deserved), they were selected rather close to eachother for the first time, and, as it turns out, are somewhat similar.

There are other factors to consider, but a starting point would be to look at their Soviet league regular season performances as that's the largest sample of their offensive worth. The following are their scores from my USSR equivalency project:

Golikov: 77, 72, 70, 68, 68, 62, 55 (473 total)
Khomutov: 69, 68, 64, 59, 59, 55, 55 (428 total)

by that measure, Golikov appears to be about 10% more potent at their respective peaks. Since the benchmarks used in my project are arbitrary, it's possible that different numbers chosen here or there could have made that difference. But, Golikov's superior finishes of 4, 6, 7, 8, 8 to Khomutov's 5, 7, 8, 14, 14 seem to corroborate his superior skill as well.

Internationally, Golikov didn't have as much opportunity but was 3rd in scoring in two major tournaments. Khomutov was 2nd in three tournaments himself, but the competition levels in the 1990 and 1993 worlds and 1992 Olympics was a step down from what Golikov was playing in. Khomutov had 48 points in 86 major international games through 1989 (I don't think rolling 1990-1995 in that total would be intellectually honest), so it took him 43 more games to score 6 more points than Golikov did internationally.

Neither player has a major intangible advantage. Golikov's possible PK skills likely don't matter here. If linemates are a consideration, it would probably be advantage Golikov, who was not on Red Army. I think Golikov has a distinct advantage overall - not by a huge margin - but he's a potential MLD player and Khomutov is right where he belongs. His scores translate to what most of the best NHLers at this level scored. Being on the national team for twice as long is a plus, but not being a prolific scorer - at all - during that time, is a minus.

Zhamnov and Bykov are a case of two mostly-offense forwards, with Zhamnov having some defense as a bonus. Their VsX scores have Zhamnov ahead 470 to 449 over their best 7 seasons, just to give you an idea of a starting point offensively. Zhamnov was pretty inconsistent game-to-game, but produced results that were, season-to-season, probably more consistent than anyone in this entire draft (51 VsX score in his 11th best season). A plus in Bykov's favour is that he was good in the "playoffs" (i.e. international play) - with 63 points in 66 games in the 80s. Zhamnov only got into 35 games, which is brutal in itself, then scored only 19 points in those games, though his 2004 performance is quite underrated. How to really compare those things is beyond me. It's safe to say though, that whatever production advantage Zhamnov had heading into the playoffs, has somewhat shrunk here.

Harris and Kunitz are both the glue guys. Kunitz brings more dirt under his fingernails and more agitation. Harris is cleaner, but a larger, physically strong player who was very good defensively. Kunitz has actually outproduced Harris with a 7-year VsX of 428 compared to Harris' 365; however, Kunitz has had the benefit of playing with Crosby for years now. At the same time, Harris got to play with Trottier. To determine who was really the better offensive player, one should look at the skill level of the players who collaborated on points with them. Harris' collaboration score in his best 7 seasons is 1.15, which is indicative of a frequent offensive passenger (remember in the wingers projects, true catalysts were in the 1.4 region, players with more help were closer to 1.2). However, Kunitz' score is 0.88, which is painfully low. So to put it as simply as possible, Kunitz scored 17% more with 31% more help. Offensively, in a vaccuum, I think this indicates Harris is the better scorer. Which, with the defensive edge, would also make him the better overall player to play the glue guy role on a top line. Your thoughts?

As a whole, I have to say I like my line better in all areas. I don't think I was able to expose any major deficiencies on Rob's line (big surprise), but I think in all three cases the Regina player is decidedly better, by varying degrees.

Rob Scuderi

Sep 3, 2009
First lines:

My initial reaction, since Khomutov is always very overrated and I've had to really fight to get Golikov up to where he belongs in these drafts, was that Golikov was better than Khomutov by a wide margin.

However, due to Khomutov falling and Golikov getting a bump (both deserved), they were selected rather close to eachother for the first time, and, as it turns out, are somewhat similar.

There are other factors to consider, but a starting point would be to look at their Soviet league regular season performances as that's the largest sample of their offensive worth. The following are their scores from my USSR equivalency project:

Golikov: 77, 72, 70, 68, 68, 62, 55 (473 total)
Khomutov: 69, 68, 64, 59, 59, 55, 55 (428 total)

by that measure, Golikov appears to be about 10% more potent at their respective peaks. Since the benchmarks used in my project are arbitrary, it's possible that different numbers chosen here or there could have made that difference. But, Golikov's superior finishes of 4, 6, 7, 8, 8 to Khomutov's 5, 7, 8, 14, 14 seem to corroborate his superior skill as well.
I don't think Khomutov is in danger of being overrated when he's on a top line at this level, which you seem to have concluded. I can't disagree with your takeaways regarding their Soviet league performances, Golikov has the better finishes so there's no need to get into the benchmarks used for percentage scores.

Internationally, Golikov didn't have as much opportunity but was 3rd in scoring in two major tournaments. Khomutov was 2nd in three tournaments himself, but the competition levels in the 1990 and 1993 worlds and 1992 Olympics was a step down from what Golikov was playing in. Khomutov had 48 points in 86 major international games through 1989 (I don't think rolling 1990-1995 in that total would be intellectually honest), so it took him 43 more games to score 6 more points than Golikov did internationally.
I don't think 1990 was as weak as you make it out to be. Sure KLM were gone, but they were also gone in 1989. Look at the leader table for the 1990 WC where Khomutov finished second overall in scoring and 5 points ahead of the next best Soviet.

1. S. Yzerman - 19
2. A. Khomutov - 16
3. K. Nilsson - 12
4. R. Reichel - 11
4. T. Fleury - 11
4. H. Loob - 11
4. T. Rundqvist - 11
4. M. Tatarinov - 11
9. G. Truntschka - 10
9. V. Fetisov - 10

I realize it's not the height of European talent in the 70s, but I don't think we have to write it off the way we do with 1992 and 1993.

I also think his scoring in the 1987 Canada Cup is worth discussing too even if it seems a lowly 7th place. The players he finished behind in scoring during that tournament were: Gretzky, Lemieux, Makarov, Krutov, Bykov, and Bourque. This tied him with 3 ATDers (Fetisov, Murphy, Messier), his linemate Kamensky, and Anatoli Semenov.

The massive longevity edge should come into play too. I realize that your point is Khomutov had more time to break through, but he also performed well enough to hold down a spot for a decade on a dominant national team.

Neither player has a major intangible advantage. Golikov's possible PK skills likely don't matter here. If linemates are a consideration, it would probably be advantage Golikov, who was not on Red Army. I think Golikov has a distinct advantage overall - not by a huge margin - but he's a potential MLD player and Khomutov is right where he belongs. His scores translate to what most of the best NHLers at this level scored. Being on the national team for twice as long is a plus, but not being a prolific scorer - at all - during that time, is a minus.
I think Khomutov's possible PK skills are more defined, but am also not sure if they matter much.

You have a quote from VMBM (thank god for him in developing these players' values) talking about brilliant PK'ing, but that it shouldn't be oversold.

He gave me a quote from Tikhonov's book talking about Bykov and Khomutov killing penalties. (It was in Finnish and PM'd to me long ago so I don't know the title)
Tikhonov said:
I guess it's difficult for me to convince the readers that Andrei Khomutov played very well in these World Championships; after all, he did not score a single goal. But the statistics don't always tell the whole story, certainly they don't tell about the coach's tactical plans. -- When our player was penalized, it was usually Bykov and Khomutov who were given the exhausting job of killing penalties -- Bykov and his linemates played well in these World Championships. Their performance ensured our success in the deciding game.

In terms of linemates, yes Golikov didn't have the Red Army, but VMBM suggests he had a young Makarov in international play. During Golikov's second 3rd place finish, Makarov was already edging out Balderis as the top scorer in the Soviet league. Khomutov had Bykov and Kamensky and had to play behind the Green Unit.

Zhamnov and Bykov are a case of two mostly-offense forwards, with Zhamnov having some defense as a bonus. Their VsX scores have Zhamnov ahead 470 to 449 over their best 7 seasons, just to give you an idea of a starting point offensively. Zhamnov was pretty inconsistent game-to-game, but produced results that were, season-to-season, probably more consistent than anyone in this entire draft (51 VsX score in his 11th best season). A plus in Bykov's favour is that he was good in the "playoffs" (i.e. international play) - with 63 points in 66 games in the 80s. Zhamnov only got into 35 games, which is brutal in itself, then scored only 19 points in those games, though his 2004 performance is quite underrated. How to really compare those things is beyond me. It's safe to say though, that whatever production advantage Zhamnov had heading into the playoffs, has somewhat shrunk here.
I'm less sure of how Soviet league percentages compare with NHL percentages than Soviet league to Soviet league. Bykov's finished 3rd to Makarov and Larionov one year, and finished second to Makarov in Soviet POTY voting the next year ahead of Fetisov. I don't know how to best compare him to Zhamnov, but I think we have the best NHL scoring center compared to the best European scoring center in the draft.

Considering Bykov's success in international tournaments (four top 5 finishes in 80s international events) and Zhamnov's 19 points in 35 playoff games, I prefer Bykov here.

Harris and Kunitz are both the glue guys. Kunitz brings more dirt under his fingernails and more agitation. Harris is cleaner, but a larger, physically strong player who was very good defensively. Kunitz has actually outproduced Harris with a 7-year VsX of 428 compared to Harris' 365; however, Kunitz has had the benefit of playing with Crosby for years now. At the same time, Harris got to play with Trottier. To determine who was really the better offensive player, one should look at the skill level of the players who collaborated on points with them. Harris' collaboration score in his best 7 seasons is 1.15, which is indicative of a frequent offensive passenger (remember in the wingers projects, true catalysts were in the 1.4 region, players with more help were closer to 1.2). However, Kunitz' score is 0.88, which is painfully low. So to put it as simply as possible, Kunitz scored 17% more with 31% more help. Offensively, in a vaccuum, I think this indicates Harris is the better scorer. Which, with the defensive edge, would also make him the better overall player to play the glue guy role on a top line. Your thoughts?
I wish I could do this more justice. I just have no idea what to make out of the point collaboration scores.

In terms of intangibles, I don't think size is too big a concern here comparing the two considering what Kunitz has accomplished with his lesser frame (we'll see this again with Lukowich vs. Hartnell). Kunitz doing the dirty work in corners and along the boards is exactly what Bykov and Khomutov need as Kamensky seemed to be praised for before breaking his leg.

The one thing I'll try to say about comparing the offensive value of these two: Harris accomplished VsX scores of 45-65 playing with Trottier. Kunitz finished top 10 in goal scoring twice playing with his superior linemate. Even though he wouldn't have gotten there alone, doesn't the fact that Kunitz was able to reach greater heights with a superior player mean something when we compare him to a player who became an okay top liner when he had superior linemates?

That Kunitz could leech off of skilled linemates is why I thought he'd fit with Bykov and Khomutov, rather than settling for a Harris or Hartnell type who will merely be solid scorers while also providing intangibles.

As a whole, I have to say I like my line better in all areas. I don't think I was able to expose any major deficiencies on Rob's line (big surprise), but I think in all three cases the Regina player is decidedly better, by varying degrees.
I don't think Bykov or Harris are decidedly better. I think Kunitz is better and in the playoffs Bykov has the edge over Zhamnov.

Last edited:

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
I don't think Khomutov is in danger of being overrated when he's on a top line at this level, which you seem to have concluded.

No, that's not what I'm saying. I am referring to his past draft positions (764 to 849 the last 6 drafts) when I say he's overrated. I later on said he is now in the right place.

I don't think 1990 was as weak as you make it out to be. Sure KLM were gone, but they were also gone in 1989. Look at the leader table for the 1990 WC where Khomutov finished second overall in scoring and 5 points ahead of the next best Soviet.

1. S. Yzerman - 19
2. A. Khomutov - 16
3. K. Nilsson - 12
4. R. Reichel - 11
4. T. Fleury - 11
4. H. Loob - 11
4. T. Rundqvist - 11
4. M. Tatarinov - 11
9. G. Truntschka - 10
9. V. Fetisov - 10

I realize it's not the height of European talent in the 70s, but I don't think we have to write it off the way we do with 1992 and 1993.

Well look at that... you're obviously correct there.

I also think his scoring in the 1987 Canada Cup is worth discussing too even if it seems a lowly 7th place. The players he finished behind in scoring during that tournament were: Gretzky, Lemieux, Makarov, Krutov, Bykov, and Bourque. This tied him with 3 ATDers (Fetisov, Murphy, Messier), his linemate Kamensky, and Anatoli Semenov.

The massive longevity edge should come into play too. I realize that your point is Khomutov had more time to break through, but he also performed well enough to hold down a spot for a decade on a dominant national team.

Point taken on the Canada cup as well.

However, we're still talking about 6 more points in 43 more games. Put that into an NHL context; do you really give someone a longevity advantage for 150 more points in 1000 more games? I realize that's an absurd extrapolation. (like giving Mellanby a longevity advantage over Crosby!)

It also seems he couldn't be a go-to offensive player on the soviets until the KLM line was out of the way. Golikov was a go-to player for at least those two tournaments.

In terms of linemates, yes Golikov didn't have the Red Army, but VMBM suggests he had a young Makarov in international play. During Golikov's second 3rd place finish, Makarov was already edging out Balderis as the top scorer in the Soviet league. Khomutov had Bykov and Kamensky and had to play behind the Green Unit.

yeah, re-reading that VMBM passage, I'm not sure I can give Golikov the linemate advantage. I forgot he said he played with Makarov, but that's odd since they're both RWs.

I'm less sure of how Soviet league percentages compare with NHL percentages than Soviet league to Soviet league. Bykov's finished 3rd to Makarov and Larionov one year, and finished second to Makarov in Soviet POTY voting the next year ahead of Fetisov. I don't know how to best compare him to Zhamnov, but I think we have the best NHL scoring center compared to the best European scoring center in the draft.

Considering Bykov's success in international tournaments (four top 5 finishes in 80s international events) and Zhamnov's 19 points in 35 playoff games, I prefer Bykov here.

I'm not disputing that Bykov has a better "playoff" resume. But it seems that you are doubting that Zhamnov has the better regular season resume. I think if we agree on the latter point, then the former is not enough to make up for it, only to shrink the gap.

I don't know what to say to effectively convince you of the USSR VsX system. It's guesswork, admittedly. It's based on the idea that Sergei Makarov was likely the 2nd/3rd best offensive player throughout the 80s until Lemieux's 1988 breakthrough and then all the other players fall in with scores relative to his, based on the points he and they actually scored. I think you know this - just pointing it out for anyone reading/voting. I do trust that Zhamnov has a clearly better offensive resume based on this - especially when a wider-angle lens is used - but then, it's my player that it's favouring.

The one thing I'll try to say about comparing the offensive value of these two: Harris accomplished VsX scores of 45-65 playing with Trottier. Kunitz finished top 10 in goal scoring twice playing with his superior linemate. Even though he wouldn't have gotten there alone, doesn't the fact that Kunitz was able to reach greater heights with a superior player mean something when we compare him to a player who became an okay top liner when he had superior linemates?

That Kunitz could leech off of skilled linemates is why I thought he'd fit with Bykov and Khomutov, rather than settling for a Harris or Hartnell type who will merely be solid scorers while also providing intangibles.

Interesting concept - the ability to leech off a skilled linemate. I'm not sure I buy into it. I mean, if we do that, aren't we back to just judging players by offensive totals without involving context?

By the way, Harris only played with Trottier in the 1976 and 1977 seasons before Bossy usurped him. During that time, Trottier was not yet an elite force. It was 167-137-116 in points for that line for those two years (Trottier-Harris-Gillies) so the story of his career is much more described this way:

- key player on weak teams (was twice their leading scoring forward in two seasons)
- key player on a strong team for one season (Isles had 88 points, he was leading scoring forward)
- complementary 1st line forward (for the two seasons mentioned above, 55 and 59 scores, scored at 82% of his center's level)
- key 2nd liner (for the next two seasons the stat panel strongly indicates he played with Bourne, first with Nystrom, then with Tonelli, both times he kept pace with them)
- grunt for the final five seasons

I just want to point out that I greatly overstated the Trottier effect. For two seasons he played with a better forward. That's it. For two he was a competent piece of a very useful 2nd line and for three he was greatly outscoring whichever forwards he was on the ice with:

http://www.hockey-reference.com/pla...val=&c4stat=&c4comp=gt&c4val=&order_by=points

Can you see Kunitz ever being a team's highest scoring forward? What about three times?

so when you say this: Harris accomplished VsX scores of 45-65 playing with Trottier. Kunitz finished top 10 in goal scoring twice playing with his superior linemate. - you should know the difference in what they scored in the seasons in question isn't that far off from being directly proportional to the skills of their superior linemate. Don't let the namedropping of Trottier mislead you - he wasn't a Crosby at that point.

second lines:

Boldirev vs. Kozhevnikov is going to be a tough nut to crack if you question the USSR equivalency too much. But if you give it any credence at all, we're talking about a pretty big difference in peak: 475 over 7 years for Kozhevnikov, 423 for Boldirev. However, by the time we're looking at 5th best seasons, Boldirev starts to inch closer. In fact, he may be the 2nd-most consistent scorer in this draft, with a 51 in his 9th best season and 45 in his 11th best (not too far off Zhamnov!) In the playoffs, his resume is quite Zhamnov-like (in terms of GP, probably about the same when you consider how easy it was to make the playoffs, in terms of PPG, very marginally better for the era). Like Zhamnov, he's saved by one pretty decent, disproportionately long, playoff run. Kozhevnikov has 18 points in 24 international games, so although that's pretty decent per-game, it's a pretty poor sample.

Both are described as rugged, Boldirev has one early career quote about checking, Kozhevnikov is called "fearless" and has three inches on him despite them almost being exact contemporaries. In the end, with no major discernable advantage between them, I have to defer to their peak offensive output, where Kozhevnikov has the decided edge (12% or so). Though, this is mitigated by very good consistency on Boldirev's part.

Don Smith vs. Earl Robinson. I've been a champion for Robinson in the past and it's good that he's up to the proper level, but VsX kinda overrates him only because he has so little beyond his best 6 years. Smith had 9 years as good as Robinson had. He's another guy I think got badly overlooked in AST voting (not that I should be complaining).

I have Smith's Vs1 scores at 100, 71, 70, 62, 55, 53, 44 for a total of 455. That's the nicest possible way to look at them from Smith's perspective, in that it treats the bolded FAHL/OPHL seasons as though they were achieved in the NHA. If you completely remove them, his best 7 seasons total 372. However, that's not really that fair, either. If you use a WHA-type conversion of 0.7 that's probably the best guess for him, giving him a total of 410. Robinson's sitting at 372 himself. (I think the FAHL/OPHL were to the NHA/PCHA what the WHA was to The NHL, what do you think?)

If you just go by 5 best seasons to be charitable, Robinson has 316 to Smith's 358/328/302 (based on the above three ways of calculating, the middle being the fairest one to both players). Neither one really adds much other than scoring, and both have pretty bad playoff records, so I'm inclined to say, based on offensive primes, that Smith has a pretty distinct (10%) edge as a producer and therefore overall player.

...and it was just now that I realized I included Harris in the first line comparisons despite him not being on my first line... :facepalm:

dammit... well, ok, may as well compare Lukowich to Hartnell now... you must have been thinking "huh?"

offensively, I have Hartnell with a 365-355 edge in terms of 7-year scoring. Or, basically, even. Hartnell's help rating in his best 7 years is 1.01. Lukowich is at 1.24 based on 5 of his best 7 years (WHA point collaboration not available). Basically Lukowich was a major catalyst in 1980 (led team by 15 pts), 81 (down by 4) and 82 (only 11 behind Hawerchuk), then a major offensive passenger in 83 and 84 after Hawerchuk exploded. On the aggregate, it appears Lukowich had a lot more to do with getting his points than Hartnell did. Like Kunitz, can you really see Hartnell ever leading a team in points?

Speed-wise, Lukowich has a major edge. Size-wise, it's Hartnell. Both have the capability to be very devastating physical players. They are fearless and will agitate. Lukowich has more supporting his defense, though he didn't kill many penalties in the NHL.

Overall, I'd definitely take Lukowich. He had less help scoring in his best seasons (hartnell scored 3% more with 23% more help), and is more highly regarded defensively. He and Hartnell have the same mental makeup and skillset otherwise; you could just say one has size and one has speed.

Like the other two comparisons, I don't think you can say one has a major non-offense advantage over the other, and it comes down to offense, where Lukowich was decidedly less pedestrian once context is considered.

These are two well-constructed lines with good balance; Regina's line just has about 10% better offensive pop across the board.

Last edited:

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Third lines:

Plekanec and Dahlstrom, again the two best two-way third line centers in the AAA draft, just like last year, except this time I think Plekanec is on top, since the edge was razor thin a year ago and he now has another year of excellent two-way hockey behind him. They are similar in skillsets - very good defensively, reasonable offensively, not very physical. Not much more to say about them.

Hunter and Hiller. Both good third line types. Hiller's a good 10% ahead of Hunter offensively if you look at Hunter's ES scoring (and if you don't give him a pre-expansion boost, which no one seems to think is a good idea anymore). I'm surprised it's not more, but Hunter has been a pleasant surprise since I drafted him. I've said it before, in the AAA good luck getting a player who's both excellent defensively and legitimately tough and physical. It's usually one or the other. Anyway, Hiller is described as "primarily a defensive player" but it's not really clear how good he is at it. The scouting reports make it clear how Hunter was regarded. Toughness-wise, Hiller was a plucky guy who could take care of himself, but he was no Hunter. I'm surprised I'm saying this now, but overall, for a third line, I like Hunter!

Seiling is a guy I drafted pretty much for good PK numbers. Pavelski I'm not 100% sold on as an all-around force (the quotes posted are all from 2014, what about before that?) but I think it's safe to say as an even strength all-around player he's proven to be better than Seiling - only because his offense is so much stronger.

At even strength, would our third lines be approximately as effective overall? I'd say so. Mine is better defensively and tougher (solely thanks to Hunter). Yours is better offensively by about 10% across the board. Pavelski should be a AAA scoring line player by now.

Last edited:

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
I wish I could do this more justice. I just have no idea what to make out of the point collaboration scores.

By the way, is there anything I can do about this? Do you understand where they come from? Have I not explained it well? Or do you understand all that and are just not sure about it being useful?

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
fourth lines:

two rather similar heart and soul centers. Both earned reputations as inspirational leaders and found themselves captaining bad expansion teams in the early 90s. Offensively, Kisio appears to have a good 20% edge according to VsX, and that's only in prime seasons. He scored 100 more points in 200 fewer games. Their career ES adjusted numbers from overpass' spreadsheet have Kisio a good 30% ahead. Defensively, close call. Based on reading their bios, and the fact that Kisio took 0.78 GF:GA teams to 1.03 and Boschman took 0.96 teams to 0.83, I'm inclined to take him. Toughness? Boschman, no question. Kisio was very tough himself but Boschman was one of the 1980s true barbarians. Kisio is definitely the better all-around player, which shouldn't surprise anyone, I thought he was a bit of an MLD leftover and took him very early on for a reason.

Lapointe and Boutette are pretty similar - two heart and soul wingers who back down from no one. Boutette is about 5-10% ahead in prime production, and I did verify that it wasn't just thanks to linemates, either. Defensively, both are called good, but not very often. A wash in that respect. Toughness-wise it's tough to give either one an edge. Lapointe was much bigger and more intimidating. There are three reasons Lapointe gets a slight edge. The first is longevity. He played this brand of hockey for 50% longer. Second, while Boutette was an intangibles-laden player, he doesn't seem to have earned the same reputation for leadership that Lapointe had throughout his career. Third, Boutette did almost nothing of consequence in the playoffs while Lapointe is remembered fondly by history as a key role player (and surprisingly frequent scorer) on two cup winners. With 27 points in 41 games in those two dead puck era cups, he exceeded Boutette's whole playoff resume.

Pandolfo and Fraser almost couldn't be more different. One was known for toughness, fighting and reasonable offense, but not defense. The other is a pure defensive player, who is both one of the ten cleanest forwards of the modern era, and one of the ten lowest-scoring non-goon forwards ever. Like me with my Seiling pick, Pandolfo is the kind of player who will suffer in a one-on-one comparison at even strength and will get his due on the penalty kill. Edge goes to Fraser, and edge to Regina on the 4th lines.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
You may feel like I'm giving you the ol' BillyShoe treatment since I just gave myself the edge on 11 of 12 forward comparisons. However, defense is next, and you definitely have the better defense. More to come tomorrow.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Defense corps comparisons:

I'll try to make this as quick and dirty as possible, and compare comparable players when possible, despite the spots they occupy in the lineups.

First of all, Marsh is a rich man's Snepsts. That's an easy one. They played the same style, they were both ES and PK specialists, they were both all great at the same things, except that Snepsts can fight and Marsh can't. Both very slow skaters. Marsh played more minutes for more successful teams with more blueline competition for mintues. Easily the better player, and a AAA draft stud whereas Snepsts is just a good cog at this level.

Souray and Marjamaki are probably about the same. They're tough to compare and I'm content to call them even. I'm not thrilled with Marjamaki as a AAA player, and Souray is nothing special either, at least at ES. Both had a feared slapshot. they're here as offensive specialists, particularly on the PP, and they are both buried on 3rd pairings where they belong. Draw.

Arnie Brown and Rick Smith seem fair to compare as they're similarly-styled contemporaries. Brown has been selected earlier than Smith in recent years, but I think Smith was a real revelation for me in this draft. He played 20.8 minutes a game for teams 23% better than average. Brown played 22.9 for teams 8% better. TOI-wise, that's a better profile, but it's based on a smaller sample. During Smith's similar-sized prime, he was playing 22.3 per game. Both have good quotes supporting their solid play. Add in the fact that Brown had a couple hundred O6 games (for bad ranger teams, but still, O6) and that Smith is much more playoff-tested, and i think it all comes out in the wash. These two are equals.

that leaves Smith, Brown and McKenny vs. Hardy, Martin and Holden.

Smith and Hardy are probably the best place to go to next. Offensively, based on defenseman vsX scores, they are both practically equal. Defensively, it's tough to compare them but Smith seemed to be a very solid player throughout, and Hardy started more as an offensive specialist, then slowly developed and morphed into a shot blocking, crease clearing warrior-type. There's no reason to conclude one was any more physical than the other. Hardy received no award recognition. Smith couldn't, but I don't think whatever he could have received would have been significant against the stars of the time. These two are about a wash.

Brown vs. Martin seems logical next. Both were reasonably good offensively, strong defensively, not bangers. Played solid minutes for solid teams. But in essence, Martin is just an all-around better version of Brown. He's about a 20% better producer, has averaged about 1.8 more minutes a game than Brown in their respective primes, for teams a notch better, and though he loses in physical strength and solid takeouts (which Brown was actually very good at), he easily wins the more important mental game and the technical side of defense. Brown, overall, is a poor man's Martin.

that leaves us with the odd couple, McKenny vs. Holden. And comparing them sure isn't easy. McKenny has no all-star votes to help understand where he stood in the grand pecking order; we have to just go by the fact that he was the anchor of a very slightly above average 1970s team. Holden was an IHL all-star (first team once, second team twice) and with that being the lesser league, it's a lot like a WHA all-star team. If we had a guy with a WHA all-star record like that, this is about where he'd be, and I think he'd be argued to be in McKenny's league. Likewise, I think that's probably what McKenny could/would have earned in the WHA if you use your imagination. Anyway, IHL all-star teams at least help with a vague picture of where Holden ranked among the world's best defensemen at his best. If you extrapolate forward 70 years by talent pool size, you're probably looking at about a McKenny-level talent. That's about the best I can do here.

In the end, I think I was able to do us both justice. I can make four comparisons that are essentially equals, but Martin and Marsh soundly beat Brown and Snepsts, and your defense corps as a whole is therefore better, no doubt about that.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
OTHER:

goaltending: I think in most people's opinions we have 2 of the 3 best goalies taken in this draft. No one's gonna win or lose this series for their team.

coaching: I think Sutter's definitely got more of a case behind him. A 1-2-2-5 in Adams voting, with Boucher having a 1-2 equivalent himself. A better regular season record, though Boucher has an excuse. A proven track record of making teams better,. The full endorsement of a superstar forward (Brett Hull) who, by rights, really shouldn't like him. On the other hand, Boucher held down a job in a more competitive era and has a bit of innovation on his side. It's closer than I may have thought coming into this draft, but Sutter is the better coach.

leadership: I mentioned Kisio was San Jose's captain... oops. But he was a 4-season NHL captain for the Rangers, which is tough to top at this level. He's backed by Lukowich, who was also an NHL captain, and Smith, who was the longtime defensive backbone of a franchise. Supporting leaders are Zhamnov, who was somewhat of a reluctant captain, and Harris, Snepsts and Lapointe who were all often called leaders. In the pressbox they also have DeBlois, an ex-captain himself.

Pittsburgh's led by Marsh, who spent two seasons captaining two teams, then Bykov, a loyal longtime soviet soldier, and Boschman, who was a leader his whole career but only a captain at the very end, for Ottawa. Other leadership comes from Kunitz, Hartnell and Pavelski. I would give Regina's leadership core an edge in this case, when the going gets tough.

spares: I think they all wash out pretty fairly in terms of overall impact except for DeBlois and Bonk. Bonk is the better player in absolute terms, because of his more elite defense. they are equals as even strength scorers and DeBlois was the more fiery, physical, leader. DeBlois' main advantage is that he can slot in anywhere at any position. Bonk's advantage is that if Pittsburgh specifically needs a two-way bottom line center he will fill the role better than DeBlois could. It's probably not fair to call either one an inferior spare.

power play: I think my first unit forwards are slam dunk across the board more talented than their counterparts. Not sure it's even arguable. On defense, I give Marjamaki enough benefit of the doubt that he's close to Souray, but McKenny is definitely going to contribute more than Martin.

On the second units, it's a little closer. Boldirev and Robinson have small advantages over Kisio and Plekanec as PP scorers, but Lukowich has a larger one on Hartnell. The forward units are even. Alex Smith and Hardy are even IMO, but Zhamnov on the point is a 25% better producer than Pavelski, and over a longer time too. (it should be noted that, relative to opportunity, they are closer to even). Zhamnov makes this unit a tad better overall.

penalty kill: I'd give Plekanec an edge on Dahlstrom mainly because his PK excellence can be quantified. Seiling's stats (29%, 19% better than average) are similar to Pandolfo's (49%, 10% better than average), with the sample size and greater usage giving Pandolfo an edge. Forwards are about a wash. On defense, Marsh easily trumps Snepsts (even though the difference is not really captured by the differences in their team results) and I'd consider Martin and Smith about the same. On the first units, Marsh is the key to a Pittsburgh advantage.

on the second unit, Pavelski's stats (29%, 2% worse than average) are better than Harris' (22%, 5% worse than average) but Hunter's (29%, 17% better) are way better than what you can imagine Hiller would achieve in the absence of any quotes about his penalty killing. On D, I think you can equate a guy like Holden to a good specialist like Rick Smith, but then Keith Brown achieved much better results than Mark Hardy did on the PK (2% worse than average as opposed to 12% worse) with similar usage (39%, 44%). Thanks to Brown and Hunter, Regina has a better 2nd unit and PK overall is probably a push.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Overall thoughts:

- Regina has the better forwards, almost across the board.
- After cancelling out similarities on both sides, Pittsburgh's defense is unequivocally better.
- goaltending is about a push
- coaching is a minor Regina advantage
- leadership is a minor Regina advantage
- spares are a push (never ignore spares, they can and will play!)
- better 1st unit forwards, McKenny and Zhamnov give Regina the overall PP advantage
- PK units are a push

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
defense and toughness in the forwards

this is another thing I like to do sometimes just to provide a visual of how the teams stack up in overall team defense and toughness.

First, defense. Bolded are Regina players.

Pandolfo (selke, quotes, PK results)
Plekanec (selke and PK results outstanding)
Dahlstrom (quotes)
Hunter (quotes, contribution to team results, PK stats)
Seiling (PK stats, quotes, few selke votes)
Harris (quotes, few selke votes, killed penalties)
Pavelski (swiss army knife, ok two-way, not great PK numbers, some selke votes)
Kisio (killed penalties, decent quotes)
Boschman (often called good defensively, just not as much as a guy like Kisio)
Hiller (I see him in the Lukowich range, speedy, gritty, can check)
Lukowich (good quotes but didn't kill too many penalties)
Zhamnov (quotes support it, killed good number of penalties too)
Lapointe (quotes good early on, but bad late in career)
Boutette (similar to Lapointe)
Kunitz (gritty, not really known for defense, more able than some)
Hartnell (see Kunitz)
Fraser (good board man, likely used it to defensive advantage occasionally)
Smith (solid all-around player is best quote on him)
Bykov (help me out here?)
Boldirev (one early career quote, that's it)
Golikov (some PK ability at times)
Kozhevnikov (nothing to go on)
Robinson (looks like a pure offense guy)
Khomutov (nothing to go on)

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
...and toughness.

Hunter (dirty *******)
Fraser (was strongest man in the NHL, feared fighter, hitter, etc)
Lapointe (a wrecking ball)
Boschman (a barbarian)
Hartnell (big ball of hate)
Boutette (little ball of loathing, lol)
Lukowich (little ball of hate)
Kunitz (gritty, not fearsome)
Kisio (little ball of dislike)
Harris (big, strong, physical, not mean)
Hiller (smaller, more defensive than physical but did earn his nickname)
Pavelski (all-around good, semi-frequent hitter)
Kozhevnikov (rugged and fearless)
Boldirev (good size, sturdy)
Smith (he was a boxer, at least)
Seiling (hard worker and all that, not a hitter)
Dahlstrom (plucky guy, not a hitter though)
Pandolfo (clean, docile but was he ever called soft?)
Zhamnov (semi-soft)
Plekanec (soft yet durable)
Bykov (nothing to go by)
Khomutov (nothing to go by)
Golikov (nothing to go by)
Robinson (nothing to go by)

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Harris, Kisio, Hunter, and Boschman show up in the top-10 on both lists. I think that's fair.

Smith, Bykov, Golikov, Robinson and Khomutov show up in the bottom-10 on both lists. Again, pretty fair.

Rob Scuderi

Sep 3, 2009
No, that's not what I'm saying. I am referring to his past draft positions (764 to 849 the last 6 drafts) when I say he's overrated. I later on said he is now in the right place.
Sorry I meant you concluded that he was in the right place, not that he was overrated.

However, we're still talking about 6 more points in 43 more games. Put that into an NHL context; do you really give someone a longevity advantage for 150 more points in 1000 more games? I realize that's an absurd extrapolation. (like giving Mellanby a longevity advantage over Crosby!)
Mellanby wasn't making Team Canada for a decade straight. Holding down a spot on the best European team in the world for a decade while they won nearly every tournament they participated in is worth pointing out when the other player he's being compared to had a span of four years making the national team.

I agree that Golikov was the better prime scorer considering competition levels, but the gap in their appearances on the national team is notable nonetheless.

It also seems he couldn't be a go-to offensive player on the soviets until the KLM line was out of the way. Golikov was a go-to player for at least those two tournaments.
I don't think it's such a shame that Khomutov couldn't be a go-to offensive player as a RW on the 80s Soviet team, Makarov was essentially making the AST in every tournament he appeared in. And the 5 man units insured Khomutov was going to get the 2nd best of every other position. To Khomutov's credit, he was the team's best player in 1990 when he had a chance to be.

Golikov broke through when he was up against the late 70s Supertroika and had a young Makarov on his line.

I'm not disputing that Bykov has a better "playoff" resume. But it seems that you are doubting that Zhamnov has the better regular season resume. I think if we agree on the latter point, then the former is not enough to make up for it, only to shrink the gap.
I don't know how exactly to decide who has the better regular season resume really. Calling the playoffs seems straightforward, let me see if I can get to this later.

I don't know what to say to effectively convince you of the USSR VsX system. It's guesswork, admittedly. It's based on the idea that Sergei Makarov was likely the 2nd/3rd best offensive player throughout the 80s until Lemieux's 1988 breakthrough and then all the other players fall in with scores relative to his, based on the points he and they actually scored. I think you know this - just pointing it out for anyone reading/voting. I do trust that Zhamnov has a clearly better offensive resume based on this - especially when a wider-angle lens is used - but then, it's my player that it's favouring.
I think I get it, and it's not that I'm unconvinced, but it's all a fudge factor. We accept reasonable comparisons between ATDers and have every Soviet player's scoring fit into that formula. I just personally would prefer a percentage system that isn't fudged, and compares Soviets to Soviets and see how they fall in line (like how we do with pre-NHLers).

This is getting off-topic kind of, but I worry with this line of thinking what happens to the benchmarks when our perceptions of Soviet to NHL players shift. Wouldn't these shifts affect targeted groups of Soviets (e.g. the 70s were too low, the 80s were too high)? If so, all of a sudden the gap between Khomutov's offense and Golikov's offense would be different, in the name of better comparing Soviet leaguers to NHLers. What would that mean for your analysis of a 10% difference between the two above? (even though I agree, looking at point finishes and quality of competition, Golikov was the better prime scorer)

Interesting concept - the ability to leech off a skilled linemate. I'm not sure I buy into it. I mean, if we do that, aren't we back to just judging players by offensive totals without involving context?
It's not that the context doesn't matter. It's more that we don't ask "could the other guy have done this?" I feel like that sounds laughable, but we're so sure of accounting for context that we don't really consider it.

By the way, Harris only played with Trottier in the 1976 and 1977 seasons before Bossy usurped him. During that time, Trottier was not yet an elite force. It was 167-137-116 in points for that line for those two years (Trottier-Harris-Gillies) so the story of his career is much more described this way:

- key player on weak teams (was twice their leading scoring forward in two seasons)
- key player on a strong team for one season (Isles had 88 points, he was leading scoring forward)
- complementary 1st line forward (for the two seasons mentioned above, 55 and 59 scores, scored at 82% of his center's level)
- key 2nd liner (for the next two seasons the stat panel strongly indicates he played with Bourne, first with Nystrom, then with Tonelli, both times he kept pace with them)
- grunt for the final five seasons

I just want to point out that I greatly overstated the Trottier effect. For two seasons he played with a better forward. That's it. For two he was a competent piece of a very useful 2nd line and for three he was greatly outscoring whichever forwards he was on the ice with:
The first two occurred on an expansion team during it's first two years. I do believe Kunitz could have done this.
Sure the third time was a stronger team, but here's scorers 2-4: Nystrom, Westfall, Howatt. I think Kunitz could do this too.
For being a complementary 1st line forward, Kunitz has done this on two separate Stanley Cup winners, and made an all-star and Olympic team out of it.

http://www.hockey-reference.com/pla...val=&c4stat=&c4comp=gt&c4val=&order_by=points

Can you see Kunitz ever being a team's highest scoring forward? What about three times?
The Islanders that Harris led in scoring were a group of blue collar forwards led in scoring by a star defensemen. Why couldn't Kunitz have led the Nashville Predators in scoring once? Phoenix Coyotes? If we look at Harris's first two years, why couldn't he lead an awful team's forwards in scoring twice?

Rob Scuderi

Sep 3, 2009
second lines:

Boldirev vs. Kozhevnikov is going to be a tough nut to crack if you question the USSR equivalency too much. But if you give it any credence at all, we're talking about a pretty big difference in peak: 475 over 7 years for Kozhevnikov, 423 for Boldirev. However, by the time we're looking at 5th best seasons, Boldirev starts to inch closer. In fact, he may be the 2nd-most consistent scorer in this draft, with a 51 in his 9th best season and 45 in his 11th best (not too far off Zhamnov!) In the playoffs, his resume is quite Zhamnov-like (in terms of GP, probably about the same when you consider how easy it was to make the playoffs, in terms of PPG, very marginally better for the era). Like Zhamnov, he's saved by one pretty decent, disproportionately long, playoff run. Kozhevnikov has 18 points in 24 international games, so although that's pretty decent per-game, it's a pretty poor sample.

Both are described as rugged, Boldirev has one early career quote about checking, Kozhevnikov is called "fearless" and has three inches on him despite them almost being exact contemporaries. In the end, with no major discernable advantage between them, I have to defer to their peak offensive output, where Kozhevnikov has the decided edge (12% or so). Though, this is mitigated by very good consistency on Boldirev's part.
I agree Kozhevnikov's peak offense is really impressive. Boldirev can't touch him there, but has excellent consistency in his scoring. I see more than one quote about Boldirev's checking though. I underrated what he brought in addition to scoring before profiling him.

Don Smith vs. Earl Robinson. I've been a champion for Robinson in the past and it's good that he's up to the proper level, but VsX kinda overrates him only because he has so little beyond his best 6 years. Smith had 9 years as good as Robinson had. He's another guy I think got badly overlooked in AST voting (not that I should be complaining).

I have Smith's Vs1 scores at 100, 71, 70, 62, 55, 53, 44 for a total of 455. That's the nicest possible way to look at them from Smith's perspective, in that it treats the bolded FAHL/OPHL seasons as though they were achieved in the NHA. If you completely remove them, his best 7 seasons total 372. However, that's not really that fair, either. If you use a WHA-type conversion of 0.7 that's probably the best guess for him, giving him a total of 410. Robinson's sitting at 372 himself. (I think the FAHL/OPHL were to the NHA/PCHA what the WHA was to The NHL, what do you think?)

If you just go by 5 best seasons to be charitable, Robinson has 316 to Smith's 358/328/302 (based on the above three ways of calculating, the middle being the fairest one to both players). Neither one really adds much other than scoring, and both have pretty bad playoff records, so I'm inclined to say, based on offensive primes, that Smith has a pretty distinct (10%) edge as a producer and therefore overall player.
I don't think the FAHL is particularly impressive outside of the years with the Wanderers, and Wanderers and Senators.

[note: I'm using Trail for this and OPHL below]
Here's the scoring table for Smith's first place finish:
1. Owen McCourt - 16 G (8 GP)
1. Don Smith - 16 G (9 GP)
3. Robert Harrison - 15 G (7 GP)
4. Alphonse Prevost - 14 G (10 GP)
5. W. Lannon - 12 G (7 GP)
5. Fred Strike - 12 G (8 GP)
7. Aeneas McMillan - 9 G (9 GP)
8. Jack Marshall - 6 G (3 GP)
8. Ken Mallen 6 G - (6 GP)
10. Buchan - 5 G (4 GP)
10. A. Degray - 5 G (4 GP)

There's no way that's the WHA to the NHL.

I mean we wrote off post 1990 Khomutov with no question. He beat out Selanne (4th), Lindros (4th), Lang (3rd), and Loob (11th) in 1992 Olympics. And in 1993 WC: Corson (3rd), Kariya (5th), Renberg (8th), Nylander (8th), Recchi (13th), Gartner (13th), Dahlen (13th). I don't see why we aren't immediately writing this off if we're treating Khomutov that way.

I'm also missing what you saw in 1909 with the OPHL. (Did Trail get it wrong?)

Here's what I have:
1. Tommy Smith - 33 G (13 GP)
2. Newsy Lalonde - 24 G (11 GP)
2. Johnny Ward - 24 G (11 GP)
4. Ezra Dumart - 23 G (15 GP)
5. Dusome - 20 G (15 GP)
6. Bruce Ridpath - 18 G (11 GP)
6. Cap McDonald - 18 G (15 GP)
7. Marsh Cochrane - 17 GP (9 GP)
7. Toad Edmunds - 17 G (13 GP)
7. Manson - 17 G (14 GP)
10. Seibert - 16 G (14 GP)
17. Don Smith - 11 G (14 GP)

Even so, outside of two HHOFers, I'm not seeing much here in terms of competition.

...and it was just now that I realized I included Harris in the first line comparisons despite him not being on my first line... :facepalm:

dammit... well, ok, may as well compare Lukowich to Hartnell now... you must have been thinking "huh?"

offensively, I have Hartnell with a 365-355 edge in terms of 7-year scoring. Or, basically, even. Hartnell's help rating in his best 7 years is 1.01. Lukowich is at 1.24 based on 5 of his best 7 years (WHA point collaboration not available). Basically Lukowich was a major catalyst in 1980 (led team by 15 pts), 81 (down by 4) and 82 (only 11 behind Hawerchuk), then a major offensive passenger in 83 and 84 after Hawerchuk exploded. On the aggregate, it appears Lukowich had a lot more to do with getting his points than Hartnell did. Like Kunitz, can you really see Hartnell ever leading a team in points?

Speed-wise, Lukowich has a major edge. Size-wise, it's Hartnell. Both have the capability to be very devastating physical players. They are fearless and will agitate. Lukowich has more supporting his defense, though he didn't kill many penalties in the NHL.

Overall, I'd definitely take Lukowich. He had less help scoring in his best seasons (hartnell scored 3% more with 23% more help), and is more highly regarded defensively. He and Hartnell have the same mental makeup and skillset otherwise; you could just say one has size and one has speed.

Like the other two comparisons, I don't think you can say one has a major non-offense advantage over the other, and it comes down to offense, where Lukowich was decidedly less pedestrian once context is considered.
:laugh: damn I didn't even notice.

I'll be honest I think Lukowich is the best glue guy in the series. He did it all, including some very solid scoring where he carried the load. I was very glad to get Hartnell though, he's too good to be a second line glue guy at this level, sadly he's just being compared to an even better one (accidentally compared that is!).

Since we both missed this, all in all this is how I see the four guys:
Lukowich
Kunitz
Hartnell
Harris

These are two well-constructed lines with good balance; Regina's line just has about 10% better offensive pop across the board.
Assuming Harris is in his right place, give me Hartnell over him as I said above. I think Kozhevnikov gets a slight nod over Boldirev because that four year peak is great, slight nod because Boldirev has impressive years after that.

I don't think Smith and Robinson is as clear cut as you had above the reasons I said. I want to see where I'm getting mixed up on the OPHL, but I think Robinson has an argument to be better.

Rob Scuderi

Sep 3, 2009
Third lines:

Plekanec and Dahlstrom, again the two best two-way third line centers in the AAA draft, just like last year, except this time I think Plekanec is on top, since the edge was razor thin a year ago and he now has another year of excellent two-way hockey behind him. They are similar in skillsets - very good defensively, reasonable offensively, not very physical. Not much more to say about them.
Can't disagree

Hunter and Hiller. Both good third line types. Hiller's a good 10% ahead of Hunter offensively if you look at Hunter's ES scoring (and if you don't give him a pre-expansion boost, which no one seems to think is a good idea anymore). I'm surprised it's not more, but Hunter has been a pleasant surprise since I drafted him. I've said it before, in the AAA good luck getting a player who's both excellent defensively and legitimately tough and physical. It's usually one or the other. Anyway, Hiller is described as "primarily a defensive player" but it's not really clear how good he is at it. The scouting reports make it clear how Hunter was regarded. Toughness-wise, Hiller was a plucky guy who could take care of himself, but he was no Hunter. I'm surprised I'm saying this now, but overall, for a third line, I like Hunter!
I think these guys are fairly close. I'm not sure you can find a better bottom six LW in the draft than Hiller. I really like Hunter too though and his defensive game is more substantiated. His physicality definitely isn't matched by Hiller either. Hiller has a bit in his bio, and I've seen some posts on the HoH board talking about Hiller playing on a line with Watson and Hextall who were used as a matchup line by the Rangers so his defensive game was there.

Seiling is a guy I drafted pretty much for good PK numbers. Pavelski I'm not 100% sold on as an all-around force (the quotes posted are all from 2014, what about before that?) but I think it's safe to say as an even strength all-around player he's proven to be better than Seiling - only because his offense is so much stronger.
I think it's more of Pavelski finally scored enough to get ESPN and Ny Times articles written about in 2014 than him being deficient before. One article includes quotes from his coach in college so it was nothing new. Brian Burke called him a swiss-army knife in 2010 as well.

Pavelski is basically a rich man's Seiling in my view. I don't see what Seiling has on Pandolfo really considering they're very similar and Pandolfo got the Selke votes and press for shadowing Jagr.
At even strength, would our third lines be approximately as effective overall? I'd say so. Mine is better defensively and tougher (solely thanks to Hunter). Yours is better offensively by about 10% across the board. Pavelski should be a AAA scoring line player by now.
I think this sounds fair.

Last edited:

Rob Scuderi

Sep 3, 2009
I don't know what to think about skillset-based comparisons instead of roles for our defensemen, but I can't disagree with the conclusions you reached while doing it.

OTHER:

goaltending: I think in most people's opinions we have 2 of the 3 best goalies taken in this draft. No one's gonna win or lose this series for their team.
I don't agree with this even though it's reasonable. We are the at the time when McNeil is at his best and Konvalenko his worst. Konvalenko being outdueled by Martin was seen as the undoing of his Soviet teams in the Worlds. McNeil routinely raised his game in the playoffs and this is where he's most valuable.

leadership: I mentioned Kisio was San Jose's captain... oops. But he was a 4-season NHL captain for the Rangers, which is tough to top at this level. He's backed by Lukowich, who was also an NHL captain, and Smith, who was the longtime defensive backbone of a franchise. Supporting leaders are Zhamnov, who was somewhat of a reluctant captain, and Harris, Snepsts and Lapointe who were all often called leaders. In the pressbox they also have DeBlois, an ex-captain himself.

Pittsburgh's led by Marsh, who spent two seasons captaining two teams, then Bykov, a loyal longtime soviet soldier, and Boschman, who was a leader his whole career but only a captain at the very end, for Ottawa. Other leadership comes from Kunitz, Hartnell and Pavelski. I would give Regina's leadership core an edge in this case, when the going gets tough.
I don't get why being on a good team makes Smith a leader with no C or any mention of leadership in his bio. Lukowich was a captain for one year.

Bykov wore the K at some point, I struggle to ever find information on European captains so I don't have any more information.
viacheslavbykov.jpg

I'm not sure this area is much of a difference honestly.

spares: I think they all wash out pretty fairly in terms of overall impact except for DeBlois and Bonk. Bonk is the better player in absolute terms, because of his more elite defense. they are equals as even strength scorers and DeBlois was the more fiery, physical, leader. DeBlois' main advantage is that he can slot in anywhere at any position. Bonk's advantage is that if Pittsburgh specifically needs a two-way bottom line center he will fill the role better than DeBlois could. It's probably not fair to call either one an inferior spare. [/quote]
Bonk was really a bottom six BPA pick, I didn't need DeBlois's versatility. Pavelski can play C/RW and made the AST in his time at LW last year so he can move around like DeBlois. McDonald is there because he can fill in for Pavelski should he bump around the lineup. Boutette can move around as well.

power play: I think my first unit forwards are slam dunk across the board more talented than their counterparts. Not sure it's even arguable. On defense, I give Marjamaki enough benefit of the doubt that he's close to Souray, but McKenny is definitely going to contribute more than Martin.
I don't see why Kozhevnikov is a slam dunk over Bykov to start. Kozhevnikov has that four year peak (2, 2, 5, 6) and a 3rd in goals in one Olympics. Bykov has 3, 4, 7, 8 in Soviet league play (plus 3 11th place finishes) and 4, 4, 5, 5, 5 in international play including the 87 Canada Cup. I think he's definitely better than Kozhevnikov. I need to see your response about Smith upthread so I'll leave him alone. We've done Golikov vs Khomutov. Basically I'm not seeing the slam dunk and I think I have as clear an edge at C as you do at RW. I agree Martin is a weak point so there's no doubt McKenny has the edge.

On the second units, it's a little closer. Boldirev and Robinson have small advantages over Kisio and Plekanec as PP scorers, but Lukowich has a larger one on Hartnell. The forward units are even. Alex Smith and Hardy are even IMO, but Zhamnov on the point is a 25% better producer than Pavelski, and over a longer time too. (it should be noted that, relative to opportunity, they are closer to even). Zhamnov makes this unit a tad better overall.
Boldirev's edge is not small, he's the best post expansion forward (who is playing up front) on either PP and by a good margin.

(this leaves out the past season for active players)
|GP|Adjusted PPP|Points per season|Usage, Team Rating
Boldirev|1052|251|19|48%, .86
Kisio|761|150|16|39%, .96
Plekanec|598|146|19|43%, 1.12
Hartnell|875|131|12|37%, 1.11
Kunitz|581|119|16|52%, 1.09
Lukowich|582|97|13|41%, .87
I mean Boldirev has 100 more points on the powerplay than anyone else, while maintaining the best average in the group, and on the worst units!

Plekanec was respectable, but we don't Robinson's figures and we know he was the better scorer. Hartnell did what Lukowich did on the PP for around 300 more games. If you give Lukowich the benefit of the doubt with his WHA years, he gets the edge and the smallest difference in the group, not the largest.

Zhamnov would best Boldirev, but you have him on the point where he outclasses Pavelski instead. Neither d man rounding out our units moves the needle here. I think Pittsburgh's unit is superior based on the edge at 2/3 forward spots.

penalty kill: I'd give Plekanec an edge on Dahlstrom mainly because his PK excellence can be quantified. Seiling's stats (29%, 19% better than average) are similar to Pandolfo's (49%, 10% better than average), with the sample size and greater usage giving Pandolfo an edge. Forwards are about a wash. On defense, Marsh easily trumps Snepsts (even though the difference is not really captured by the differences in their team results) and I'd consider Martin and Smith about the same. On the first units, Marsh is the key to a Pittsburgh advantage.
That's fair on our forwards, but Pandolfo is certainly the best PKer here.

Err, you're sort of breaking the line of reasoning above by calling Smith and Martin a wash. Martin has the best PK team rating of any D in the series. If you want to call them a wash call Pleks and Dahlstrom a wash too. I agree Marsh is the best PKer overall.

|GP|Usage|Team Rating
Brad Marsh|1086|49%|.90
Harold Snepsts|1033|49%|1.08
Paul Martin|584|45%|.86
Mark Hardy|915|44%|1.12
Keith Brown|876|39%|1.02
Rick Smith|687|38%|.89

on the second unit, Pavelski's stats (29%, 2% worse than average) are better than Harris' (22%, 5% worse than average) but Hunter's (29%, 17% better) are way better than what you can imagine Hiller would achieve in the absence of any quotes about his penalty killing. On D, I think you can equate a guy like Holden to a good specialist like Rick Smith, but then Keith Brown achieved much better results than Mark Hardy did on the PK (2% worse than average as opposed to 12% worse) with similar usage (39%, 44%). Thanks to Brown and Hunter, Regina has a better 2nd unit and PK overall is probably a push.
I can agree with your call on the forwards. Smith's usage % wasn't that impressive for a short career guy, is he really a good specialist? Is there anything in Brown's game that make it clear he was as responsible for his team's PKing results as Snepsts was? You mention that the team differences don't truly capture the difference between Snepsts and Marsh (even though we agree Marsh is an elite PKer at this level right), so why isn't this even more true for Hardy considering the defensive game he developed on garbage teams?

I don't think the difference on second units makes it a push considering those concerns.

Rob Scuderi

Sep 3, 2009
defense and toughness in the forwards

this is another thing I like to do sometimes just to provide a visual of how the teams stack up in overall team defense and toughness.

First, defense. Bolded are Regina players.

Pandolfo (selke, quotes, PK results)
Plekanec (selke and PK results outstanding)
Dahlstrom (quotes)
Hunter (quotes, contribution to team results, PK stats)
Seiling (PK stats, quotes, few selke votes)
Harris (quotes, few selke votes, killed penalties)
Pavelski (swiss army knife, ok two-way, not great PK numbers, some selke votes)
Kisio (killed penalties, decent quotes)
Boschman (often called good defensively, just not as much as a guy like Kisio)
Hiller (I see him in the Lukowich range, speedy, gritty, can check)
Lukowich (good quotes but didn't kill too many penalties)
Zhamnov (quotes support it, killed good number of penalties too)
Lapointe (quotes good early on, but bad late in career)
Boutette (similar to Lapointe)
Kunitz (gritty, not really known for defense, more able than some)
Hartnell (see Kunitz)
Fraser (good board man, likely used it to defensive advantage occasionally)
Smith (solid all-around player is best quote on him)
Bykov (help me out here?)
Boldirev (one early career quote, that's it)
Golikov (some PK ability at times)
Kozhevnikov (nothing to go on)
Robinson (looks like a pure offense guy)
Khomutov (nothing to go on)

Very few to quibble over.

Boldirev had three quotes talking about his checking, at worst I'd put him right above Fraser.

I'd put Khomutov with Bykov ahead of Golikov. Khomutov and Bykov were praised by Tikhonov for their Pking on the national team in a book he wrote. Golikov's PK ability was from VMBM's quote ending with don't oversell it.

Rob Scuderi

Sep 3, 2009
...and toughness.

Hunter (dirty *******)
Fraser (was strongest man in the NHL, feared fighter, hitter, etc)
Lapointe (a wrecking ball)
Boschman (a barbarian)
Hartnell (big ball of hate)
Boutette (little ball of loathing, lol)
Lukowich (little ball of hate)
Kunitz (gritty, not fearsome)
Kisio (little ball of dislike)
Harris (big, strong, physical, not mean)
Hiller (smaller, more defensive than physical but did earn his nickname)
Pavelski (all-around good, semi-frequent hitter)
Kozhevnikov (rugged and fearless)
Boldirev (good size, sturdy)
Smith (he was a boxer, at least)
Seiling (hard worker and all that, not a hitter)
Dahlstrom (plucky guy, not a hitter though)
Pandolfo (clean, docile but was he ever called soft?)
Zhamnov (semi-soft)
Plekanec (soft yet durable)
Bykov (nothing to go by)
Khomutov (nothing to go by)
Golikov (nothing to go by)
Robinson (nothing to go by)

This look good as well.

I wouldn't mind Kozhevnikov up a spot or two. Plekanec is one of those sneaky agitating guys as well FWIW.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Mellanby wasn't making Team Canada for a decade straight. Holding down a spot on the best European team in the world for a decade while they won nearly every tournament they participated in is worth pointing out when the other player he's being compared to had a span of four years making the national team.

I agree that Golikov was the better prime scorer considering competition levels, but the gap in their appearances on the national team is notable nonetheless.

OK, but if we're using national team performance as a bit of a proxy for playoff value for soviets, which is about as good as we can do, it's a little bit of a special situation when you have a player who was talented enough to be a factor more, but fell out of favour with perhaps the toughest coach in hockey history. How do we handle that?

43 games should be enough to be able to conclude he was a better "playoff" producer, I think.

I think I get it, and it's not that I'm unconvinced, but it's all a fudge factor. We accept reasonable comparisons between ATDers and have every Soviet player's scoring fit into that formula. I just personally would prefer a percentage system that isn't fudged, and compares Soviets to Soviets and see how they fall in line (like how we do with pre-NHLers).

This is getting off-topic kind of, but I worry with this line of thinking what happens to the benchmarks when our perceptions of Soviet to NHL players shift. Wouldn't these shifts affect targeted groups of Soviets (e.g. the 70s were too low, the 80s were too high)? If so, all of a sudden the gap between Khomutov's offense and Golikov's offense would be different, in the name of better comparing Soviet leaguers to NHLers. What would that mean for your analysis of a 10% difference between the two above? (even though I agree, looking at point finishes and quality of competition, Golikov was the better prime scorer)

I get what you're saying in the first part, and yeah, it's kind of a choice you have to make right at the start if you're going to try to make an all-eras-included system. Do you just do a soviet VsX then try to translate that to the NHL? or take it season by season on an evolving scale based on how strong we perceive the top end soviet talent to be? i did the latter. Had I done the former, we could be looking at Evgeny Zimin and Golikov and saying the former had a much better soviet VsX than the other, but then what do you do to account for the fact that one played 20 years after the other? What I did accounts for that, or at least tries to.

The first two occurred on an expansion team during it's first two years. I do believe Kunitz could have done this.
Sure the third time was a stronger team, but here's scorers 2-4: Nystrom, Westfall, Howatt. I think Kunitz could do this too.
For being a complementary 1st line forward, Kunitz has done this on two separate Stanley Cup winners, and made an all-star and Olympic team out of it.

The Islanders that Harris led in scoring were a group of blue collar forwards led in scoring by a star defensemen. Why couldn't Kunitz have led the Nashville Predators in scoring once? Phoenix Coyotes? If we look at Harris's first two years, why couldn't he lead an awful team's forwards in scoring twice?

I'm surprised you think Kunitz is a team-leading-scorer capable player, let alone three times. I don't see that in him at all. He gets to where he needs to go so a more talented player can get him the puck, but the idea of him being the most talented player on a line... it's never been the case in real life. most talented on a team? how bad does a team have to be for him to be the guy bouncing pucks off of the schmucks who are the 2nd and 3rd best? I can't even imagine.

I agree Kozhevnikov's peak offense is really impressive. Boldirev can't touch him there, but has excellent consistency in his scoring. I see more than one quote about Boldirev's checking though. I underrated what he brought in addition to scoring before profiling him.

Later on you mention Boldirev has three checking quotes. I'll split the difference with you. It's two. The first one refers to the checking attention he received. But you are right that he has more than one.

I don't think the FAHL is particularly impressive outside of the years with the Wanderers, and Wanderers and Senators.

[note: I'm using Trail for this and OPHL below]
Here's the scoring table for Smith's first place finish:
1. Owen McCourt - 16 G (8 GP)
1. Don Smith - 16 G (9 GP)
3. Robert Harrison - 15 G (7 GP)
4. Alphonse Prevost - 14 G (10 GP)
5. W. Lannon - 12 G (7 GP)
5. Fred Strike - 12 G (8 GP)
7. Aeneas McMillan - 9 G (9 GP)
8. Jack Marshall - 6 G (3 GP)
8. Ken Mallen 6 G - (6 GP)
10. Buchan - 5 G (4 GP)
10. A. Degray - 5 G (4 GP)

There's no way that's the WHA to the NHL.

I don't think that looks very far off from the WHA to the NHL. there are some more unknown quantities, but there are three players there in the top-10 who proved they were very useful at the NHA/PCHA level and were slightly more dominant in the OPHL than they tended to be in the NHA/PCHA - but not grotesquely so. (if they did blow this league away, that would be damning to the league's quality)

still, I assume you agree that outright deleting it is not fair, and 0.7 can't be far off from a fair factor to use.

I mean we wrote off post 1990 Khomutov with no question. He beat out Selanne (4th), Lindros (4th), Lang (3rd), and Loob (11th) in 1992 Olympics. And in 1993 WC: Corson (3rd), Kariya (5th), Renberg (8th), Nylander (8th), Recchi (13th), Gartner (13th), Dahlen (13th). I don't see why we aren't immediately writing this off if we're treating Khomutov that way.

though the sample size of games is about the same in absolute terms, one represents a full season of games and the other is one tenth of what constituted an NHL season. But in any case, I see that this does add some value for Khomutov. I don't know, I don't quite feel right rolling it in with the Iron Curtain era as though it's the same thing. There was this instant skyrocketing for him and it seems really odd. Am I out of line to say that? Do you think it all belongs in the same bucket?

I'm also missing what you saw in 1909 with the OPHL. (Did Trail get it wrong?)

Here's what I have:
1. Tommy Smith - 33 G (13 GP)
2. Newsy Lalonde - 24 G (11 GP)
2. Johnny Ward - 24 G (11 GP)
4. Ezra Dumart - 23 G (15 GP)
5. Dusome - 20 G (15 GP)
6. Bruce Ridpath - 18 G (11 GP)
6. Cap McDonald - 18 G (15 GP)
7. Marsh Cochrane - 17 GP (9 GP)
7. Toad Edmunds - 17 G (13 GP)
7. Manson - 17 G (14 GP)
10. Seibert - 16 G (14 GP)
17. Don Smith - 11 G (14 GP)

Even so, outside of two HHOFers, I'm not seeing much here in terms of competition.

Smith played 14 games, but 8 were for one team and 6 were for another. He had 11 goals for one team and 10 for another (per SIHR) for a total of 21. If The Trail has 11, that's incorrect.

Looks like a lot was filled in for this season. it looks like this on SIHR:

Tommy Smith C Brantford Indians 13 40 0 40 44
Newsy Lalonde C Toronto Pros 11 29 0 29 79
Andrew Dusome RW Galt Pros 17 29 0 29 38
Jack Ward C Brantford Indians 12 25 0 25 16
Ezra Dumart C Berlin Dutchmen 15 23

Don Smith LW Toronto/StCatherines 14 21 0 21 27 0 23 33
Bruce Ridpath F Toronto Pros 11 21 0 21 11
Goldie Cochrane R Galt Pros 17 20 0 20 31
Cap McDonald D Brantford Indians 16 20 0 20 71
Edward Edmunds R Berlin Dutchmen 13 19 0 19 39

As far as competition, all he really needed was one superb top end player to use as a #1 benchmark - and he had two! being compared to Smith's 40 gives him a pretty meh score of 53, which is definitely fair. The overall league was not bad though. In addition to those two, there was Ridpath, who was pretty good, and Ezra Dumart was a huge OPHL scorer in the two years they challenged (very unsuccessfully) for the cup. the league also had Dubbie Kerr, Jack Marks and former IHL scoring sensation Billy Taylor.

:laugh: damn I didn't even notice.

I'll be honest I think Lukowich is the best glue guy in the series. He did it all, including some very solid scoring where he carried the load. I was very glad to get Hartnell though, he's too good to be a second line glue guy at this level, sadly he's just being compared to an even better one (accidentally compared that is!).

Since we both missed this, all in all this is how I see the four guys:
Lukowich
Kunitz
Hartnell
Harris

Assuming Harris is in his right place, give me Hartnell over him as I said above.

All of them bring a nice range of glue guy skills, right? That part probably doesn't separate any of them from the others too much.

So looking at offense again, we have this (VsX 7-year totals including WHA, and collaboration score):

Kunitz: 428, 0.88
Harris: 365, 1.15
Hartnell: 365, 1.01
Lukowich: 355, 1.24

Again, the point collaboration score represents a weighted 7-year prime average of what their points per game was, compared to the combined weighted points per game of the players who scored points on the same goals that they did.

Do you realize how bad that looks for Kunitz? it's fairly rare for a player with raw totals that strong, to actually have a collaboration score below 1.0, because even if a strong linemate is feeding you, you're gonna get points with defensemen, the 3rd wheel on the line, and other lines you occasionally play with. With all that considered, it should still be fairly easy to get into the 1.0+ range. (Delvecchio did in all seasons but two, and with ease)

For him to have a score significantly below 1.0 is really damning to his offensive value. I know it's weird to say that for a guy who had a 2013 season like he had. But he's a real passenger offensively, and if you look at his age, he really shouldn't be better now than he was in his mid-late 20s - there is something real Johnny Bucyk going on there.

I think Lukowich and Harris have clearly demonstrated they were much more responsible for their offensive totals than Hartnell and Kunitz. I don't know if there's a mathematically logical way to combine those two numbers and arrive at a composite that tells the whole story, but my gut's saying those two are definitely the better two offensive players here, and therefore the better all-around players, too.

I don't think Smith and Robinson is as clear cut as you had above the reasons I said. I want to see where I'm getting mixed up on the OPHL, but I think Robinson has an argument to be better.

I think his 1909 is unimpeachable. Tell me your thoughts on 1907. Even if you use 50% there, he's still up 390 to 372 and with better "supporting years" on top of it.

I don't see what Seiling has on Pandolfo really considering they're very similar and Pandolfo got the Selke votes and press for shadowing Jagr.

He's a better offensive player, isn't he? As two-way players they should be very similarly valued.

I don't agree with this even though it's reasonable. We are the at the time when McNeil is at his best and Konvalenko his worst. Konvalenko being outdueled by Martin was seen as the undoing of his Soviet teams in the Worlds. McNeil routinely raised his game in the playoffs and this is where he's most valuable.

This is the current conventional wisdom on Konovalenko. I've been collecting passages to put together a good bio on him - which I'll finish tonight - and I think that overall, the conventional wisdom is mostly mistaken.

As a preview, he was flaky, but only as much as any goalie. He could crumble, but he rebounded from bad games in a big way. He was very respected by Tretiak. I'll let you know when I've put it all together.

I don't get why being on a good team makes Smith a leader with no C or any mention of leadership in his bio. Lukowich was a captain for one year.

Bykov wore the K at some point, I struggle to ever find information on European captains so I don't have any more information.
viacheslavbykov.jpg

I'm not sure this area is much of a difference honestly.

no, probably not.

I don't see why Kozhevnikov is a slam dunk over Bykov to start. Kozhevnikov has that four year peak (2, 2, 5, 6) and a 3rd in goals in one Olympics. Bykov has 3, 4, 7, 8 in Soviet league play (plus 3 11th place finishes) and 4, 4, 5, 5, 5 in international play including the 87 Canada Cup. I think he's definitely better than Kozhevnikov.

As an overall package, perhaps I'd agree if we're comparing them as members of a line. On a power play though, you're really looking at how explosive they are, how talented they are, and honestly their very best years are the best way to do that. Kozhevnikov was more of a singular talent than Bykov and the PP is the one place where I'd be sure he would be better.

Boldirev's edge is not small, he's the best post expansion forward (who is playing up front) on either PP and by a good margin.

(this leaves out the past season for active players)
|GP|Adjusted PPP|Points per season|Usage, Team Rating
Boldirev|1052|251|19|48%, .86
Kisio|761|150|16|39%, .96
Plekanec|598|146|19|43%, 1.12
Hartnell|875|131|12|37%, 1.11
Kunitz|581|119|16|52%, 1.09
Lukowich|582|97|13|41%, .87
I mean Boldirev has 100 more points on the powerplay than anyone else, while maintaining the best average in the group, and on the worst units!

Plekanec was respectable, but we don't Robinson's figures and we know he was the better scorer. Hartnell did what Lukowich did on the PP for around 300 more games. If you give Lukowich the benefit of the doubt with his WHA years, he gets the edge and the smallest difference in the group, not the largest.

Zhamnov would best Boldirev, but you have him on the point where he outclasses Pavelski instead. Neither d man rounding out our units moves the needle here. I think Pittsburgh's unit is superior based on the edge at 2/3 forward spots.

:facepalm: - just to clarify, I was looking at the wrong number when I said Lukowich had a big edge on Hartnell. I saw 19 but that was his career adjusted +/-, not his PP points per season!

Re: Robinson and Plekanec: It's fair IMO to use overall offense as a proxy for PP offense for guys from his time. In this case Plekanec actually has a slight edge as an overall producer (based on best 7 years), but unlike most bottom-six types, his ES scores are worse, so he scores a disproportionately high number of points on the PP. So the edge he has overall is a tad higher on the PP. That's where I got that anyway.

Agree that Boldirev is the best forward playing up front. But after that, Regina has the next best three. Lukowich doesn't have Kunitz' numbers, but those collaboration scores...

|GP|Usage|Team Rating
Brad Marsh|1086|49%|.90
Harold Snepsts|1033|49%|1.08
Paul Martin|584|45%|.86
Mark Hardy|915|44%|1.12
Keith Brown|876|39%|1.02
Rick Smith|687|38%|.89

I can agree with your call on the forwards. Smith's usage % wasn't that impressive for a short career guy, is he really a good specialist? Is there anything in Brown's game that make it clear he was as responsible for his team's PKing results as Snepsts was? You mention that the team differences don't truly capture the difference between Snepsts and Marsh (even though we agree Marsh is an elite PKer at this level right), so why isn't this even more true for Hardy considering the defensive game he developed on garbage teams?

I don't think the difference on second units makes it a push considering those concerns.

Smith's not a short career guy, he had 200+ WHA games and was a good NHLer both before and after, so he's really more like a 900 game guy. (I didn't mean he was a PK specialist, sorry, just a defensive specialist in general)

To answer the question about Brown: while I don't think he was more key to his team's PK results than Snepsts, yes, I can answer what made him a useful penalty killer - his incredible physical strength, according to his bio, thanks to prolific weightlifting, which would have benefited him in front of the net and in close quarters.

not sure exactly what to say about Hardy. He was used a lot but early on in his career it wasn't exactly his strength, and it showed in the team results. With a guy like Snepsts, you get the sense he was really relied on for that. He wasn't just a guy who put up points who they also stuck on the PK - which is sort of what you could say for early LA-era Hardy's penalty killing resume.

anyway - if you were to average out our modern defensemen yours would be 46% and 0.96, mine 42% and 1.00. Throw in Smith and Holden and the gap should lessen but the edge is there for you on defense. The forwards average 29% and 0.89 for me, and 39% and 0.96 for you, but then you throw in Dahlstrom and Hiller...

Dahlstrom's Hawks were 3-3-4-5-5-6-7 in goals against during his time there, so if we use team defense as a proxy for PK success (what else can we do?) then his teams were a notch below average. Hiller's teams were 1-1-1-1-2-4-5-6 in defense, so a notch above average. Overall you've got a group of PK forwards who were used a little more, but contributed to penalty kills that were essentially average. Mine achieved better results in less usage. I'm not good at determining exactly when higher usage makes one guy a more historically noteworthy penalty killer than a guy with better results. My gut's telling me I have the better forwards and the penalty kills are a wash overall.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Konovalenko bio is complete.

it's definitely misguided to think that he is a bad pressure/playoff goalie, or that Martin outdueled him (at least in games against eachother). Konovalenko never failed to win gold, and only ever lost two games - neither of which were medal round games. See bio for more details.

Last edited:

Rob Scuderi

Sep 3, 2009
OK, but if we're using national team performance as a bit of a proxy for playoff value for soviets, which is about as good as we can do, it's a little bit of a special situation when you have a player who was talented enough to be a factor more, but fell out of favour with perhaps the toughest coach in hockey history. How do we handle that?

43 games should be enough to be able to conclude he was a better "playoff" producer, I think.
Assuming eliteprospects is correct; I don’t think it’s as simple as a coaching rift. Golikov plays 3 more seasons after his last tournament with the national team and isn’t a top 30 scorer any of those seasons. I think you’d have revisit how much better he really was in those 48 games after seeing what Khomutov did when he wasn’t buried behind Makarov.

I get what you're saying in the first part, and yeah, it's kind of a choice you have to make right at the start if you're going to try to make an all-eras-included system. Do you just do a soviet VsX then try to translate that to the NHL? or take it season by season on an evolving scale based on how strong we perceive the top end soviet talent to be? i did the latter. Had I done the former, we could be looking at Evgeny Zimin and Golikov and saying the former had a much better soviet VsX than the other, but then what do you do to account for the fact that one played 20 years after the other? What I did accounts for that, or at least tries to.
You don’t make these types of adjustments with VsX in the NHL. We spent the winger project talking about Goulet and Cournoyer’s VsX being underrated. I don’t see why you need to fudge everything to make it seem right instead of just recording what it was and then analyzing other factors. Particularly when what seems right is everchanging.

I'm surprised you think Kunitz is a team-leading-scorer capable player, let alone three times. I don't see that in him at all. He gets to where he needs to go so a more talented player can get him the puck, but the idea of him being the most talented player on a line... it's never been the case in real life. most talented on a team? how bad does a team have to be for him to be the guy bouncing pucks off of the schmucks who are the 2nd and 3rd best? I can't even imagine.
Not a team-leading scorer, top scoring forward on a team with a top 10 defenseman leading the team and Ed Westfall as his toughest competition up front. That’s something he can do while still not being the most talented player, just like Harris did.

I don't think that looks very far off from the WHA to the NHL. there are some more unknown quantities, but there are three players there in the top-10 who proved they were very useful at the NHA/PCHA level and were slightly more dominant in the OPHL than they tended to be in the NHA/PCHA - but not grotesquely so. (if they did blow this league away, that would be damning to the league's quality)

still, I assume you agree that outright deleting it is not fair, and 0.7 can't be far off from a fair factor to use.
Who are the three? 3 games of Jack Marshall? Come on, he was there for a third of the season. Mallen is a guy who gets drafted this low and wasn’t a stud scorer. Are you counting Smith himself as the third? I can’t remotely agree this is anything like the WHA to NHL. If any competition needs discarded in this series it would be this one hands down.

though the sample size of games is about the same in absolute terms, one represents a full season of games and the other is one tenth of what constituted an NHL season. But in any case, I see that this does add some value for Khomutov.
That’s moving the goalposts from why it was an issue before, and a crazy argument that would undermine the most important competitions for European players. No one would ever apply that argument to the Makarovs, Kharalamovs, Martinecs, etc.

I don't know, I don't quite feel right rolling it in with the Iron Curtain era as though it's the same thing. There was this instant skyrocketing for him and it seems really odd. Am I out of line to say that? Do you think it all belongs in the same bucket?
I mean we have the data in front of us, it doesn’t look so weak compared to what we perceived. I don’t see why it’s crazy to think the increased opportunity was the biggest factor in his increased production. I think it should be in the same bucket when you look at what it was.

Smith played 14 games, but 8 were for one team and 6 were for another. He had 11 goals for one team and 10 for another (per SIHR) for a total of 21. If The Trail has 11, that's incorrect.

Looks like a lot was filled in for this season. it looks like this on SIHR:

Tommy Smith C Brantford Indians 13 40 0 40 44
Newsy Lalonde C Toronto Pros 11 29 0 29 79
Andrew Dusome RW Galt Pros 17 29 0 29 38
Jack Ward C Brantford Indians 12 25 0 25 16
Ezra Dumart C Berlin Dutchmen 15 23

Don Smith LW Toronto/StCatherines 14 21 0 21 27 0 23 33
Bruce Ridpath F Toronto Pros 11 21 0 21 11
Goldie Cochrane R Galt Pros 17 20 0 20 31
Cap McDonald D Brantford Indians 16 20 0 20 71
Edward Edmunds R Berlin Dutchmen 13 19 0 19 39

As far as competition, all he really needed was one superb top end player to use as a #1 benchmark - and he had two! being compared to Smith's 40 gives him a pretty meh score of 53, which is definitely fair. The overall league was not bad though. In addition to those two, there was Ridpath, who was pretty good, and Ezra Dumart was a huge OPHL scorer in the two years they challenged (very unsuccessfully) for the cup. the league also had Dubbie Kerr, Jack Marks and former IHL scoring sensation Billy Taylor.
Okay this makes more sense. Trail listed the two teams and apparently had the GP right, but it must have missed his goals with one of the teams. That’s fair on the benchmark being set by T. Smith and D. Smith’s work being judged based on that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad