AAA 2013 preliminary round: Atlanta vs. Dawson City

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Atlanta Knights

George Richardson-Alexei Zhamnov-Rick Kehoe(A)
Alexander Bodunov-Tim Young-John Anderson
Bob Kelly-Peter Zezel-Martin Lapointe
Don Grosso-Stephane Yelle- Brian Gionta (A)

Extras: Petr Klima, Paul Stastny

Sergei Starikov-Robert Picard
Bret Hedican(C)-Janne Ninimaa
Bob Plager-Tom Kurvers

Extras: Richard Matvichuk, Kevin Mccarthy

Felix Potvin
Hal Winkler

Coach: Bob Hartley

PP1: George Richardson, Alexei Zhamnov, Rick Kehoe, Robert Picard, Janne Ninimaa
PP 2: Alexander Bodunov, Tim Young, John Anderson, Sergei Starikov, Tom Kurvers
PK 1: Don Grosso, Stephane Yelle, Sergei Starikov, Bret Hedican
PK 2: Peter Zezel, Martin Lapointe, Robert Picard, Bob Plager

1916 or earlier- George Richardson, Hal Winkler
1917-1942 - Don Grosso
1943-1965 - Bob Plager
1966-1979 - Rick Kehoe, Sergei Starikov, Robert Picard, Tim Young, Alexander Bodunov, Bob Kelly, John Anderson, Kevin Mccarthy
1980-1994 - Alexei Zhamnov, Bret Hedican, Felix Potvin, Martin Lapointe, Tom Kurvers, Stephane Yelle, Petr Klima, Richard Matvichuk
1995-2004 - Janne Ninimaa
in 2013 - Brian Gionta, Paul Stastny

Vs.

Dawson City Nuggets
Head Coach: Claude Ruel

Sergei Mozyakin - Vladimir Ruzicka - Mark Napier
Matt Moulson - Josef Malecek - Lowell MacDonald
Martin Gelinas "A" - Matt Cullen - Eric Dazé
Pekka Arbelius - Lars Molin - Andreas Ambuhl
Rob Scuderi - Stephane Robidas "C"
Hugh Bolton - Dennis Kearns
Bryce Salvador "A"- Bobby Connors
Gilles Gilbert
Ron Tugnutt

PP1:
Matt Moulson - Vladimir Ruzicka - Mark Napier
Josef Malecek - Stephane Robidas

PP2:
Sergey Mozyakin - Matt Cullen - Eric Dazé
Dennis Kearns - Bobby Connors

PK1:
Matt Moulson - Lars Molin
Rob Scuderi - Stephane Robidas

PK2:
Matt Cullen - Andreas Ambuhl
Bryce Salvador - Dennis Kearns

Scratches:
Peter Skudra, G
Corby Adams, C

1916 or earlier : Horace Gaul
1917-1942 : Josef Malecek, Bobby Connors
1943-1965 : Corby Adams, Hugh Bolton
1966-1979 : Mark Napier, Dennis Kearns, Gilles Gilbert, Lars Molin
1980-1994 : Pekka Arbelius, Ron Tugnutt, Martin Gelinas, Vladimir Ruzicka,
1995-2004 : Eric Dazé, Peter Skudra, Andreas Ambuhl,
Current : Matt Cullen, Sergei Mozyakin, Rob Scuderi, Matt Moulson, Stephane Robidas, Bryce Salvador

connor macdavid

Press Box Rat
Dec 24, 2008
Ottawa
In terms of gamebreaker talent, I feel that Mark Napier is the purest goalscorer on either team.

I'd say our Top 6 are comparable, but Bottom 6 is a clear Atlanta victory.

On the back end, I think Atlanta does have a slight edge in terms of depth.

In net, I think Potvin is the best of the four goaltenders (excluding Skudra of course, because he's a legend :naughty: ), but I think my backup is stronger than his.

Overall, I think this is a toss-up that will likely go to Atlanta based on their depth.

jkrx

Feb 4, 2010
In terms of gamebreaker talent, I feel that Mark Napier is the purest goalscorer on either team.

In net, I think Potvin is the best of the four goaltenders (excluding Skudra of course, because he's a legend :naughty: ), but I think my backup is stronger than his.

Overall, I think this is a toss-up that will likely go to Atlanta based on their depth.

Wow, the anti-billy! :amazed:

BillyShoe1721

Terriers
Mar 29, 2007
Philadelphia, PA
Wow, the anti-billy! :amazed:

1312559259218.png

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
My comments are in bold.

Napier is a good 1 that's for sure. I looked at him when I picked Kehoe. I think him and Kehoe are going to be the 2 best goal scorers on the 2 teams. Still with my team I have good goal scorers like George Richardson and Bodunov as well as John Anderson and 2 decent playmakers in Zhamnov and Young. I think my 1st line's better but I like your 2nd line more than mine as Malecek and Moulson should be a good goal scorer playmaker combo, we shall see what happens though.

Your 3rd line is actually quite good, while I don't think it's a traditional 3rd line the way mine is, it's actually a decent 3rd line that should compete with mine. The 4th line though is very different as your 4th line is filled with unknowns and my 3 guys are both known and are proven players.

Your 2nd pairing though is pretty good. Bolton and Kearns where both on my list for selection. It was actually between Bolton and Plager for me as to my bottom pairing defenseman so he's a good pick for you. Your 3rd pairing is filled with guys who have talent but their talent is not up to the traditional AAA draft level yet. Rob Scuderi is not only a member here:sarcasm:, he's actually a good defenseman in the NHL, it should be an interesting battle between him and Starikov.

I disagree here, no offense to you but Ron Tugnutt is not an AAA level goalie, maybe A level but not AAA level, though he played for some terrible Quebec teams in the late 80's and early 90's there where many better guys out there for the backup position. My backup is pretty good, he led the NHL in shutouts with 15 at the age of 35 so if Potvin gets injured or tired Winkler can step in and play admirably. If Gilbert goes down I don't see Tugnutt doing anything extra to help out the team and your 3rd stringer, Peter Skudra, shouldn't even be considered in the C level draft if we ever did 1.

Yeah, your team has some good parts no doubt and it could be a decent series, good luck. If you want to talk about the special teams please do so and I'll offer a rebuttal shortly after you do yours.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
I'll go on record as saying that the perception of this Dawson City team was tainted by the selection of 5 regulars who shouldn't have been in the AAA draft. The rest of the team was, let's not say quite average, but solid, serviceable, passable. If those 5 guys were replaced with 5 standard AAA-level replacements, this lineup could have surprised someone.

An admirable job by demonsonice96. I hope you give it another shot (or two).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad