VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
AAA 2011 Playoff Opening Round Series

Detroit Cougars

coach Leo Dandurand

Paul Ysebaert - Pelle Eklund - Mariusz Czerkawski
Benoit Hogue - Brian Bradley - Nick Wasnie (A)
Real Lemieux - John Chabot - Willy Lindström
Kris King (C) - Greg Johnson - Jody Hull
Anders Carlsson, Johan Garpenlöv

Jimmy Orlando (A) - Moe Mantha
Jim Niekamp - Thommie Bergman
Pete Goegan - Igor Kravchuk
Magnus Svensson

Guy Hebert
Hank Bassen

vs.

Dawson City Nuggets

coach Bob Berry

Nikolai Borschevsky - Sergei Nemchinov - Alexander Radulov
Derek King (A) - Jiri Dopita - Joe Benoit (C)
Jeff Friesen - Paul Gardner - Phil Kessel
Vic Lynn - Blake Dunlop - Mel Hill
Merlyn Phillips, Bob Errey, Milan Lucic

Erik Johson - Jack Johnson
Chris Therien (A) - Jiri Fischer
Paul Laus - Red Stuart
Tyler Myers

Roman Turek
Ross Brooks​

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Teams feel free to post powerplay and penalty kill units and explain how your team stacks up against the strengths of your particular opponent.

jkrx

Feb 4, 2010
PP1: Ysebeart - Eklund - Czerkawski, Mantha - Kravchuk
PP2: Linström - Bradley - Wasnie, Hogue - Bergman
PK1: Eklund - Hogue, Orlando - Niekamp
PK2: Chabot - Lemieux, Goegan - Bergman
PK3: Johnson - Hull

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Nikolai Borschevsky - Sergei Nemchinov - Alexander Radulov
FOOLS' GOLD! I'm a big believer in the quality of international Soviets, but none of these guys I had pegged to go in this draft. And there's no reason to think them worthy now.

Borschevsky has just one great year internationally, 1992, when he starred in the Olympics and played decent in the world championships. That's it. Plus, three years as top scorer of a then-poor Spartak club after failing to prove himself as a scorer with Dynamo despite six years there. Yeah, he had one and a half NHL seasons in which he scored at nearly a point per game pace on the top Leafs line (had 74 points when linemate Gilmour got a gaudy 127 points in that high-scoring NHL season of 92-93). So, take away his international and NHL play over one and a half seasons, 1992-93, and he's just a run-of-the-mill Soviet league regular. He's a Double-A Draft secondary scorer at best, not a AAA first liner!

Nemchinov was an average scoring line player on a very bad Soviet league club (the fourth-rate Krylja Sovetov) for four years and later played insignificant bottom-6 minutes for eight years with NHL clubs. NOTHING noteworthy there. Inbetween however, he did spend three seasons on a scoring line with the NY Rangers, averaging 50 points a season (7th, 5th and 9th in team scoring). He was 10th in team scoring and shots in their 1994 Stanley Cup championship, with 2 goals, neither on special teams and no game winners. These are his three BEST NHL seasons by far, and they prove him as at best a Bottom-6 role on any team! Not a top-6, top line role on a AAA draft all-time team. He did play on another cup winner in a bottom-6 role, 16th in ice time, 15th in points, for the Devils with 3 goals (only two NJD forwards scored less). There better be a boatload of intangibles to go along with such mention, or else he looks like the marginal player I remember him to be. I do give him credit for impressing NHL scouts with his play internationally in the Super Series between 1989-91, scoring 10 assists and 13 points in 19 games and having one very good world championships with 5 goals and 7 points in 10 games in 1990. That's exactly ONE (1) time when he was a significant scorer in a significant context. He scored twice the year before in the Worlds, though had no points in five games in his only other significant international opportunity in the 1987 Canada Cup. He did play on the 1996 World Cup on a disappointing Russian squad and had 3 points, and one goal the following year in the Olympics. he was never a top-3 or top-5 Soviet or Russian in anyone's books, outside of one world championships. He is at best a secondary scorer playing 3rd/4th line minutes on any team of any note. He belongs nowhere near the top line center role in this draft.

Radulov was third in Predators scoring one season despite only getting third line minutes. Yeah, that pegged him as a potential up and comer (after being 10th in Preds scoring with 4th line minutes his first season). He had scored four points in each of two playoff series in Nashville despite third line playoff minutes and he deserved more ice time and opportunity to prove himself. Instead, he ran back to Europe and showed in two world championships his talent, with 17 points in 18 games over the 2009 and 2011 worlds. His Memorial Cup and KHL experience shows he had talent but aren't significant accomplishments in terms of all-time performances. He is clearly a talented player who had one decent NHL season and two decent world championships, underplayed and underappreciated. Bah. History is full of such guys. You have to really value his couple of seasons in the KHL to think him worthy of even Double-A draft duty this year. But, at least he has shown some evidence of ability, even if his peak and career are lacking. That says more than his top line mates on this Dawson City Nuggets squad.

Rob Scuderi

Sep 3, 2009
I think Dawson City could be better served putting Derek King and Phil Kessel in those top line wing spots. Nemchinov could at least be utilized as a defensively-minded player in the top line that way. Kessel and King both have reputations as one-way players so Nemchinov could provide the needed two-way play.

And yeah Radulov may be best served on the bench. Errey could fill in the bottom six hole left if you bumped up Kessel and that'd let you sit Radulov.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
I think Dawson City could be better served putting Derek King and Phil Kessel in those top line wing spots. Nemchinov could at least be utilized as a defensively-minded player in the top line that way. Kessel and King both have reputations as one-way players so Nemchinov could provide the needed two-way play.

And yeah Radulov may be best served on the bench. Errey could fill in the bottom six hole left if you bumped up Kessel and that'd let you sit Radulov.

good idea.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
So I'm debating Modo and his three co-gms?
:rant: I spent an hour making the case of fraud against the Nuggets top line, the least you can do is read it! No way can anything I wrote be construed as being of a co-GM for that team.

jkrx

Feb 4, 2010
:rant: I spent an hour making the case of fraud against the Nuggets top line, the least you can do is read it! No way can anything I wrote be construed as being of a co-GM for that team.

It was a sarcastic joke. Maybe I should stop making jokes, I'm obviously very bad at it.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
TODAY, send your Frederic McLaughlin division first round votes to seventieslord. Indicate which team wins in how many games. Include the three stars.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad