AAA 2011 Frederic McLaughlin semi-finals: #2 Springfield Indians vs. #3 HC Davos

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
The Frederic McLaughlin Divisional Semi-Final Round

Springfield Indians

coaches Cooney Weiland, Darryl Sutter

Lars-Erik Lundvall - Nils Nilsson - Leroy Goldsworthy
Bep Guidolin - Alexander Semak - Bill Hicke
Fredrik Modin - Tom Fergus (A) - Mike Johnson
Stephane Matteau - Travis Zajac - Scott Walker
Paul Stastny, Alexander Martynyuk

Leo Lamoureux - Kevin McCarthy (A)
Robert Picard - Larry Cahan (C)
Hal Gill - Derek Morris
Muzz Patrick

Tommy Salo
Gilles Villemure

vs.

HC Davos

coaches Vsevolod Bobrov, Dave King

Ron Murphy - Anatoli Semenov (C) - Sergei Svetlov
Marco Sturm - Oliver Seibert - Ales Hemsky
Val Fonteyne - Claude Lapointe (A) - Kevin McClelland
Harry Meeking - Jiri Hrdina - Ville Peltonen
Dustin Byfuglien, Jack Brannen

Mike Rathje - Igor Romishevsky (A)
Grant Ledyard - Ron Plumb
Ilya Byakin - Curtis Leschyshyn
Joe Linder

Seth Martin
Ken Wregget

jkrx

Feb 4, 2010
The Frederic McLaughlin Divisional Semi-Final Round

Springfield Indians

coaches Cooney Weiland, Darryl Sutter

Lars-Erik Lundvall - Nils Nilsson - Leroy Goldsworthy
Bep Guidolin - Alexander Semak - Bill Hicke
Fredrik Modin - Tom Fergus (A) - Mike Johnson
Stephane Matteau - Travis Zajac - Scott Walker
Paul Stastny, Alexander Martynyuk

Leo Lamoureux - Kevin McCarthy (A)
Robert Picard - Larry Cahan (C)
Hal Gill - Derek Morris
Muzz Patrick

Tommy Salo
Gilles Villemure

vs.

HC Davos

coaches Vsevolod Bobrov, Dave King

Ron Murphy - Anatoli Semenov (C) - Sergei Svetlov
Marco Sturm - Oliver Seibert - Ales Hemsky
Val Fonteyne - Claude Lapointe (A) - Kevin McClelland
Harry Meeking - Jiri Hrdina - Ville Peltonen
Dustin Byfuglien, Jack Brannen

Mike Rathje - Igor Romishevsky (A)
Grant Ledyard - Ron Plumb
Ilya Byakin - Curtis Leschyshyn
Joe Linder

Seth Martin
Ken Wregget

TDMM, didn't you draft "Sura-Pelle" too? You've found two good thirds of his line here. I'd love to here your arguments for putting Goldsworthy on the line, I have some guesses but I'll let you argue for your team.

I think Davos checking line might be one of the best in the AAA.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I gotta say, I like this goaltending battle a LOT. Both starters have solid international resumes (aside from one meltdown vs Belarus) to their record.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn

PP1: Lundvall - Nilsson - Modin - McCarthy - Picard
PP2: Guidolin - Semak - Hicke - Morris - Lamoureux
PK1: Zajac - Goldsworthy - Gill - Cahan
PK2: Fergus - Johnson - Lamoureux - Morris

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
TDMM, didn't you draft "Sura-Pelle" too? You've found two good thirds of his line here. I'd love to here your arguments for putting Goldsworthy on the line, I have some guesses but I'll let you argue for your team.

Goldworthy replaces Pettersson as the "hard worker" of the line. He's probably not as good offensively as Pettersson, but he's pretty good, and his defense is much better established.

I think Springfield's first line might be the best defensive top line in the draft. Goldsworthy is an excellent checker and Lundvall was known as "perhaps Sweden's first two-way forward." Nilsson is the offensively-oriented center (who has known chemistry with Lundvall obviously).

As I said during assassination, Springfield roles 4 balanced lines - all of which can score and play defense. Bill Hicke is a decent defensive conscience for the 2nd line (probably on Lundvall's level defensively but not as good as Goldsworthy), and our bottom 6 is loaded with two-way players who can defend and then score on the counter-attack.

Last edited:

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
I guess I should say a few words on why the Indians should win. It's hard to do comparisons since our opponent doesn't have linked profiles, but I'll do what I can.

1. Defensemen

I think we have the best balanced group of defensemen in the draft, and it might be the most talented.

Leo Lamoreaux has the best All Star record in this series:

12th in AS voting in 43-44 (war year)
8th in AS voting in 44-45 (war year)
6th in AS voting in 45-46

Stanley Cups in 1944 and 1946

Hard to tell just how great he was because of the war years, but it's safe to say he was quite a bit better than Rathje.

Our defense has excellent balance:

Lamoreaux is a LH two-way defensemen with a physical edge (and IMO, one of the few true #1s at the AAA level). McCarthy is a RH offensive defenseman known for his leadership. This pairing will push the offense without giving away too much defensively.

Picard is a LH two-way defenseman (more offense than defensive) with a very good physical game. Cahan is a RH stay at home physical brute. This pairing can move the puck and defend, and will physically punish the opposition.

Gill is a LH shutdown defensemen with an incredibly reach. Morris is a RH fast-skating two-way guy. This pairing will not be scored on by AAA-calibre forwards that often.

If need be, Muzz Patrick can be inserted into the lineup for more muscle.

2. Special Teams

Our opponents have not made special teams, but even if they do, I don't see how they could compare to Springfield's.

a. Power play

Both teams have good offensive forwards (possible edge to our opponents), but Springfield's units are well constructed, with a forward who should be great in front of the net on each unit (Modin, Guidolin). If HC Davos has the edge at forward, it is more than compensated for the advantage Springfield has on the point.

I don't see defensemen on HC Davos who can compete with the offense provided by Picard, McCarthy, and Lamoreux. Morris isn't bad either. Both units have a LH and RH shot, which allows shots and one-timers from both sides of the ice.

b. Penalty Kill

Hal Gill might be the best penalty killing defensemen available at this level, and Cahan is a physical beast who will keep the crease clear of opposing forwards. Our #1 overall defenseman (Lamoreux) is on the second unit along with Derek Morris, who killed a surprisingly high number of penalties over his career. Picard's physicality makes him a good 5th option for the PK.

The biggest difference is in the PK forwards - specifically at center. Springfield has 2 centers who can be trusted to play big PK minutes. I might be missing something, but from what I know, HC Davos appears to be lacking a second option to take faceoffs on penalties. Lapointe can do it, but who else?

3. Team Defense

Springfield's bottom two lines can both function as checking units (though neither is inept offensively). Our first line is also quite good defensively and our second line has Hicke functioning as a defensive conscience. This versatility is invaluable come playoff time, as it enables Coach Weiland to focus more on getting the lines that are playing well out there and less on the matchup game.

Last edited:

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
It's hard to do comparisons since our opponent doesn't have linked profiles, but I'll do what I can.
I've never ever linked the detailed bio info I post when I pick, but I guess I need to learn some time. I promise to do so next round. ;)

jkrx said:
Indeed. In this series, the Davos 3rd line is the better checking line and the 1st line is the better offensive line.

Semenov-Svetlov were real life linemate stars on the great Soviet second unit of the 1980s and on Moscow Dynamo's top line for most of a decade. Semenov was the 1st team all-star center in the Soviet league in 1985, most importantly in this series he proved himself an offensive producer at the highest level of competition of his era, in the NHL-participating international tourneys of the eighties. he scored 3 goals and an assist in the six-game 1984 Canada Cup, had an even better 1987 Canada Cup with 7 points and followed that up the next winter with 6 points in the '88 Calgary Olympics. He also scored in three touring Super Series: his Moscow club vs. NHL teams between 1980-1990 as well as rendezvous '87 against the NHL's best. He simply was a top-tier talent, and then afterwards the 11-year Dynamo veteran went to the NHL and scored 10 points in 12 games in the 1991 Stanley Cup playoffs for an Oilers team that ran into a hot North Stars in the conference finals.

Semenov's linemate for most of the eighties, both in Moscow and internationally, was Svetlov, an even greater producer on the top stage. Svetlov was 2nd in Soviet goal scoring at the 1984 Canada Cup with 4 goals, 7 points (including a goal against Canada in the semifinals that forced overtime). Svetlov's international resume also includes: 6 points in World Championships 1985; 4 points in World Championships 1986 GOLD; 5 goals, 6 points in World Championships 1987; 3 goals, 5 points in 5 games in Canada Cup 87; 5 points and a healthy +6 in 8 games in the gold-medal winning 1988 Olympics. He and Larionov each scored against Canada in the '87 Isvestia Cup as well. All this on Semenov's wing against the NHL's and Czechoslovakia's best in highly intense series. The fact that Svetlov was twice top-5 in Soviet league scoring is almost beside the point, as this duo clearly is the cream of the crop in this series in terms of proven ability to play against the very best of their era when it mattered most.

Added to Semenov-Svetlov is Ron Murphy, the longtime NHL veteran known for his "strong, positional" hockey who, in his 17th NHL season, had a role on the highest scoring line in NHL history (to date), knowing how to be the third wheel on the Esposito-Hodge star first line in Boston. Murphy reprises such a role here in Davos with Semenov-Svetlov! The durable left winger had been four times top-6 in scoring for NHL clubs between 1955 and 1961, representing the Blackhawks in the NHL all-star game when second only to Hull in team goals in the very same 1961 season they would end up going all the way and winning the cup in. There is no doubt that Murphy can handle the level of competition and his role on a line with a star duo. The Davos first line is tried, tested and true.

The opposition in this series ices a Swedish duo from an earlier era who never played against the NHL's best. A clear advantage to Davos in first line match-ups.

Last edited:

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Let me add some more biographical info about Svetlov from the respected book The Red Machine:

page 103 said:
Sergei Svetlov, the best pure skater in the Soviet Union and perhaps the world.

pg.220-221 said:
A tall forward with legs that seemingly extended to his shoulders, Svetlov was the best pure skater in Soviet hockey, and very likely the world. In team drills at the nationals' practices, he left every player behind. What was remarkable was that he achieved full flight so quickly - in two or three strides. Svetlov didn't move with the grace of Paul Coffey, the NHL's best skater, but faster and with more power. He came in gusts and was frequently on diagonals because, if he went straight up and down, he would forever be facing offside calls.

Concerning the 1987 Canada Cup in which Svetlov scored 7 points:
pg.234 said:
The series was dominated by four players - Gretzky, Lemieux, Makarov and Krutov. There could have been a fifth, but Sergei Svetlov, who had been playing brilliantly, suffered the broken wrist against Sweden.

The reason why Svetlov's career wasn't greater than the peaks it was, in both the Soviet league and international stage he showed himself as among the best, was injuries. He is described on page 220 of The Red Machine as a "concussion-prone gazelle":

page 220 said:
what plagued him and brought to an early close a potentially outstanding career was a series of head injuries. Seemingly every year, he was out at some point with a concussion. Then, in the Canada Cup in 1987, when he was outshining everyone on the Soviet side, Svetlov went down with a broken wrist - a development which may very well have saved the series for Canada.

(Fortunately, should he be injured after racking up impressive points and wins for over half the series - as is typical of him - Davos has a capable fill-in in world champion speed skating, multiple Stanley Cup goal scoring hero in rover Jack Brannen.:D Murphy-Semenov-Svetlov/Brannen)

chaosrevolver

Snubbed Again
Nov 24, 2006
Ontario
Good series VI and Dave. Sorry I couldn't really be around to debate...been really busy with school lately. Back on the horse.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad