A Year of Watching Dan Boyle on the Power Play

THE BIG WHISTLE

Heave-Ho
Feb 16, 2012
By the beach
Awesome screen name and avatar!

Thank you , if only Gresch didn't hurt his back who knows what kind of numbers he would have put up. Most people on this board unfortunately don't know who The Big Whistle was, him and Jim Gordon was a great team.
Met Nick Fotiu a couple of times as he was real big with the PAL, and actually caught one of the pucks he would threw into the crowd after warm ups

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
his 5on5 mins should be sheltered or atleast minimized. hell require matchup attention.

dont like boyle paired with mcd at all. we dont want boyle logging 30 min nights against top lines and playing all the pp mins he can handle.

i prefer this with more balanced minutes. all 3 pairs have good ying and yang.

mcd girardi - true shut down pair. good balance and girardi allows mcd to be more creative and aggressive. mcd has norris skills. he needs to free wheel and create. girardi needs to defend.

stall boyle- staal is mainly a defensive guy now and boyle needs staals wheels to help cover for his lack of foot speed. boyle cant do too much at even strength so he needs to be conservative. hell earn his paycheck man up.

moore klein- this pair is poised to make a jump this season. moore showed more puck confidence and can be more involved offensively, klein can log more minutes as he was under utilized last year. this should be a very solid 3rd pair.

i actually like this defense alot. stralman is gone and he was very good, but i dont see a huge dropoff with 3 pairs configured like this.

more worried about goal scoring from the forwards..... :shakehead

Not to mention Brady Skjei is in the wings.. not worried about the defense at all... if anything, the defensive side that Boyle loses compared to stralman is made up for by the offensive instinct that he carries... so no problems there.

NYRCSKA*

I expect us to finally have our PP QB. Plus he will be able to teach McDonagh a few things which people seem to be neglecting to think about. McD finally has a mentor to teach him how to bring a lot of offense to his game.

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
i don't feel like a get a whole lot of info from those stats because the dip corresponds with the Sharks fall from their early super start. how does his offensive touches (snicker :sarcasm:) and set up passes compare to other players?

I'm hoping Boyle is good at getting clean clears from our zone (our achillies heel) and can pass that knowledge down to players like Girardi who seem to brain fart every time we desperately need to clear the zone (read: turn overs into scoring ops, forced icings after 2 mins of sustained pressure, AV forced to use time out).

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Its clearly not written by -31-, as that guy is basing his opinions off WATCHING Dan Boyle play. :)
372761969_mitt_romney_wife_laughing_e1333207545737_answer_2_xlarge.jpeg

i don't feel like a get a whole lot of info from those stats because the dip corresponds with the Sharks fall from their early super start. how does his offensive touches (snicker :sarcasm:) and set up passes compare to other players?
We may do the same research with Richards later in the summer.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I just like the ambition.

If someone would have made this with Brad Richards -- before -- we got him, they probably would have raised a few questionsmarks.

Like "I am a bit worried because he really worked a lot of a great left handed play maker down low in Mike Riberio and next to a right shooting D on the point and we don't got thoose types at all in NY. And BTW, when I think of it, that was the case too in Tampa with Lecavalier down low and Boyle on the point next to him. I am not sure at all how he is going to work out on the PP in NY."...

Boyle won't "run" things on the PP in NY. But he can definitely fill a role on the PP without being a weak link, and without him we wouldn't have that. Zucc/MSL should run things down low, and Boyle will provide them with an option every time they have the puck.

Boyle will also 5 on 5 provide us with an option on the blueline for whom it comes natrual to think "offense" every single shift all the time. We haven't had that in ages. Boyle won't be a diffrence maker all the time, of course. But just in general for teams that defends against us, he is a "diffrence maker". McD at best has been a D that has taken advantages of openings. Like a forward who can be invisible for a half a game and then take off on a break away. But Boyle on the blueline is like a Zucc up front, someone who every single second on the ice is involved in the offensive game at a high level. To score a lot you gotta have that. Because you just have to adjust if you defend against a D that constantly is involved. And when you adjust against a D like that, you always give up more ice against the forwards.

Boyle is a bit over the top and we shouldn't expect too much. But he will provide us with something we haven't had in ages...

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
I just like the ambition.

If someone would have made this with Brad Richards -- before -- we got him, they probably would have raised a few questionsmarks.

Like "I am a bit worried because he really worked a lot of a great left handed play maker down low in Mike Riberio and next to a right shooting D on the point and we don't got thoose types at all in NY. And BTW, when I think of it, that was the case too in Tampa with Lecavalier down low and Boyle on the point next to him. I am not sure at all how he is going to work out on the PP in NY."...

Boyle won't "run" things on the PP in NY. But he can definitely fill a role on the PP without being a weak link, and without him we wouldn't have that. Zucc/MSL should run things down low, and Boyle will provide them with an option every time they have the puck.

Boyle will also 5 on 5 provide us with an option on the blueline for whom it comes natrual to think "offense" every single shift all the time. We haven't had that in ages. Boyle won't be a diffrence maker all the time, of course. But just in general for teams that defends against us, he is a "diffrence maker". McD at best has been a D that has taken advantages of openings. Like a forward who can be invisible for a half a game and then take off on a break away. But Boyle on the blueline is like a Zucc up front, someone who every single second on the ice is involved in the offensive game at a high level. To score a lot you gotta have that. Because you just have to adjust if you defend against a D that constantly is involved. And when you adjust against a D like that, you always give up more ice against the forwards.

Boyle is a bit over the top and we shouldn't expect too much. But he will provide us with something we haven't had in ages...

I think working with a stronger defensive corps and playing with someone who can actually cover his butt in Staal, Boyle will perform the same, if not better than he did in SJS... The mentor for McD is also a great point... I also think Boyle is a SUPER great skater, which is something we sorely lacked on not only the PP, but in some even strength situations... Something like McD. not fast, not flashy, just solid and smart.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
Its clearly not written by -31-, as that guy is basing his opinions off WATCHING Dan Boyle play. :)

Lulz, got 'em, g1, RIP.

Regarding the article: Neat.

I think the dynamic of a team and their PP will alter how someone plays on it. That's not to say he won't have a lot of the same tendancies, but getting acclimated to a new PP and teammates will surely affect this data.

Solid effort on digging all that up.

vipernsx

Flatus Expeller
Sep 4, 2005
McDonagh has emerged as a legit #1D the Rangers have been after since Brian Leetch. The last time the Rangers have a PMD from the left and right side who came together on the PP was when they had Zubov and Leetch. That year, you didn't want to face the Rangers PP because there was a 23% chance it was going into the back of the net as they lead the league with 96PP goals on their way to winning the Stanley Cup.

A LHD-RHD combo on the PP where both can really move and shoot the puck, is deadly!

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I'm confused. I thought there was a poster named Brian Boyle who was separate from 31. I thought Brian Boyle was a teenaged former mod, and 31 was a mid 20s accountant who loved stats. Can someone solve this mystery?

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
I'm confused. I thought there was a poster named Brian Boyle who was separate from 31. I thought Brian Boyle was a teenaged former mod, and 31 was a mid 20s accountant who loved stats. Can someone solve this mystery?
Merger.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com

I changed my name because Boyle left, and -31- decided to be a cl0wn

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad