A year from now you will be happy because...

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
If 2-6 come true, I certainly wouldn't be happy if management moves Green and Tatar/Nyquist for picks. That would be a pretty damn good team and we'd be taking a step backwards.

What would be a damn good team? We already have all of those guys and we suck

ComradeChris

May 15, 2010
-Wings gets 1st overall pick; trade down to 2nd/3rd overall for an extra 1st and draft Andrei Svechnikov
-Trade Green, Mrazek, Tatar for picks in 2019 and 2020; later years the 1sts the better.
-Trade Larkin for two 1st round picks if he breaks out; the kid will come back to Detroit when they are more competitive
-Dekeyser rebounds and becomes a solid trade chip as well
-Entertain the idea of trading Zetterberg so he can win another cup and to shake up the country club locker room vibe

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Read the original post, the one I quoted and then read my response. If you can't figure it out then not even god can help you. (Not that I believe in one.)

Yeah I see now I didn't see the first part. Still green should be traded. We still don't have a dman to take over games and if/when we do. Green will be pretty useless

Invictus12

Aug 1, 2010
New York
Yeah I see now I didn't see the first part. Still green should be traded. We still don't have a dman to take over games and if/when we do. Green will be pretty useless

He's still a great presence on the PP. Besides, if you suddenly have a competitive team, having a really good defenseman is better than a pick IMO.

Invictus12

Aug 1, 2010
New York
-Wings gets 1st overall pick; trade down to 2nd/3rd overall for an extra 1st and draft Andrei Svechnikov
-Trade Green, Mrazek, Tatar for picks in 2019 and 2020; later years the 1sts the better.
-Trade Larkin for two 1st round picks if he breaks out; the kid will come back to Detroit when they are more competitive
-Dekeyser rebounds and becomes a solid trade chip as well
-Entertain the idea of trading Zetterberg so he can win another cup and to shake up the country club locker room vibe

Oh dear lord! So, are we renting Larkin for two firsts? In that case, you forgot to ad that we'd need to give some GM some excellent quality mushrooms to your elaborate plan!

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
the Redwings (players or management) have done what?

For me:

1. Management moves Green + one of Nyquist or Tatar at or before the deadline for picks (bonus points for moving a goalie).
2. AA and Mantha both take steps forward.
3. Larkin establishes himself as a bona fide NHL center.
4. DDK and Mrazek return to prior form (or something close thereto).
5. Svech and Bert establish themselves as NHL regulars.
6. We have a PP in the top half of the league.

For the record I am not necessarily expecting this to happen, but would consider it a good season for this team and organization given the current state of things.

I think it's great to have this thread, same as the "2018 outlook" topic. There needs to be positive discussion around here too- after all it's a sport we watch for enjoyment not suffering. :)

Reviewing our cap I will say it can be difficult to be cheery: Justin"A"- 6 more seasons, Nielsen 5, Glendening 4 , Dekeyser 5, Helm 4, even Ericsson and Daley signed for another 3 seasons. Yuck. We are just anchored to mediocrity for years to come. I mean I like these guys but as a team they don't fit well together. It's one thing to lose with a squad of players under 25 it's another with a mishmash of questionable veterans with the intention of "remaining competitive".

Anyways looking forward with interest I agree with a lot of what you're envisioning.

Green/Nyquist/Tatar offer the greatest return drafting future players. I agree with TZE retaining both Nyquist and Tatar doesn't make sense.

I also think Mantha and AA will be hungry and should have a greater impact.

It's been the intention that Larkin would play center but I think he's better along the wing. The desire of his placement may be wishful thinking because "we need an elite C". Honestly he looks out of place as a center. I'd rather he continues running wild through the entire ice-surface than having to think about positioning. May be down the road but no need to force it.

With Kronwall falling off a cliff DDK was shell shocked but I think he can play stronger and should be better prepared for the onslaught. I think Mrazek will rebound some too (no pun intended haha) and be more of a pleasure to watch in net.

Bert and Svech establishing themselves is a very nice thought. From his NHL stint I think Bertuzzi has what it takes. He made a few crafty plays and skates well enough. He reminds me of a Shaw-lite who can win battles and think quickly. Svech is a wonder- that teenager's head on Franzen's body...people said he looked like a prime Samuelsson. Man there is a good vibe about Svechnikov I think he should be in opening night. Hey why not we're rebuilding, right? :laugh:

There's a good chance our PP isn't the worst in NHL history going back to 1968 or some ****. :)

I agree with most I'll be happy next year if we finish low in the standings and possibly draft even higher. It's been debated but at least another top 10 pick is pretty cool. Please for once no action on July 1.

To add I hope to see NHL injuries decrease. I HATE watching anyone taken out with these months long injuries. You have players who are never the same. There's got to be a way to limit them.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
1) Ken Holland moves up stairs
2) New Outside GM brought in
3) New Outside Coach brought in
4) A really good season from Hank - Same as others, would love to see him hit 1000 PTS
5) Larkin shows he is going to be more than a second tier scorer, on LW or C
6) Mrazek has a rebound season
7) At least one of Tatar/Nyquist traded for a good return
8) Shed maybe some of the easier high salary deals
9) Sheahan either scores 15-20 goals or traded, otherwise he is useless
10) Ouellet and Jensen traded for better options, I just don't see much in them
11) Green traded at deadline for at least a late 1st rounder. - This was edited in late, as I forgot to put it in.

Never going to happen:

12) Dekeyser traded
13) Abdelkader traded

For the record I think, 1-3 won't happen and 5-10 won't happen either, so I might not be happy.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Perfect season:

Step 1 - Mantha/AA/Larkin/XO play well, showing improvements and start taking over the team in icetime and production, but the team still struggles due to defense/injuries and bad coaching. Mrazek bounces back in net and displays solid goaltending but not enough to take us to a playoff position.

Step 2 - Green is moved at the TDL for a 1st, along with Sheahan who goes for a 2nd and possibly Russo/Sproul moved for a small return

Step 3 - Youngsters finish the season strong, almost getting us into a playoff spot. Hronek and Saarijarvi get call-ups at the end and look good, Svechnikov establishes himself as a part of our top 9 and Larkin is our #1C to end the season.

Step 4 - Despite nearly making the playoffs, we win the draft lottery

Step 5 - Draft Dahlin

Step 6 - Blashill is fired

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
Perfect season:

Step 1 - Mantha/AA/Larkin/XO play well, showing improvements and start taking over the team in icetime and production, but the team still struggles due to defense/injuries and bad coaching. Mrazek bounces back in net and displays solid goaltending but not enough to take us to a playoff position.

Step 2 - Green is moved at the TDL for a 1st, along with Sheahan who goes for a 2nd and possibly Russo/Sproul moved for a small return

Step 3 - Youngsters finish the season strong, almost getting us into a playoff spot. Hronek and Saarijarvi get call-ups at the end and look good, Svechnikov establishes himself as a part of our top 9 and Larkin is our #1C to end the season.

Step 4 - Despite nearly making the playoffs, we win the draft lottery

Step 5 - Draft Dahlin

Step 6 - Blashill is fired

Blashill needs to do a good job for steps 1-3 to happen here, at which point firing him would be the wrong move IMO

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Erik Karlsson, Is that you?

That wasn't Rasmus Dahlin, that was Rasmus Serneke!:amazed::naughty::sarcasm:

I could barely see any hockey through all the jersey ads!:shakehead

Thanks for posting the vid, he sure looks like a good one, though we surely can't be lucky enough to land him, can we?

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
That wasn't Rasmus Dahlin, that was Rasmus Serneke!:amazed::naughty::sarcasm:

I could barely see any hockey through all the jersey ads!:shakehead

Thanks for posting the vid, he sure looks like a good one, though we surely can't be lucky enough to land him, can we?

I dare to dream that dream.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Erik Karlsson, Is that you?

It looks for me like Pavel Datsyuk playing as a defenceman... :amazed:

Fool multiple opposite players, go against 4 men and keep the puck-control through, fake shot and pass behind for a teammate for an empty net.

Most entertaining player for the next decade, or probably two.

Beltv

Apr 13, 2017
It looks for me like Pavel Datsyuk playing as a defenceman... :amazed:

Fool multiple opposite players, go against 4 men and keep the puck-control through, fake shot and pass behind for a teammate for an empty net.

Most entertaining player for the next decade, or probably two.

If our team can control the puck. Can he play defense though? He has to drive the play. He looked like a good skater. How tall is he?

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
If our team can control the puck. Can he play defense though? He has to drive the play. He looked like a good skater. How tall is he?

Updated height is 189cm = 6'2. Optimal for a Norris defenceman. Don't have to be any bigger, or you lose your speed.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I'll be happy in a year if the kids we're leaning on show the sort of improvement we hope for. That might push us into the playoffs, it might not, but I just want to see Larkin, Mantha, AA, and Mrazek step up.

edit: and for the kids not in the NHL to show growth.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
1. Holland retires; willingly or unwillingly
2. Yzerman makes the illogical decision to come home and return the Wings to glory
3. He cleans house prior to the draft/lottery and stocks up on 2018 draft picks
4.We get the #1 OA pick

Can you imagine what a shift that would be? Shanahan like.

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
1. Svechnikov suprises people and finishes the year a Calder finalist after a 50-point season. Some other younger/newer guys show they belong, such as Bertuzzi and XO.

2. Larkin bounces back and establishes himself as a solid top 2 C.

3. Mantha progresses.

4. We have at least 2 first round picks, one of which is our own, a lottery pick. We win a top 2 and get the other Svech or Dahlin.

5. Yzerman is still in Tampa, because hes overrated af as a GM.

6. Rasmussen has a big year in junior to silence the haters. Preferably people admit they were wrong for having doubted him, but everyone will pretend they loved the pick from the start.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad