A Winning Team (Vets) or Losing, up and coming (Youth)

BomaLightDevils

Jan 15, 2011
Copenhagen
I’ve would like to start a discussion about winning and losing with different type of teams.
The Lou Era with a well build veteran team without any own drafted players or the approach we are doing now with building through the draft?

I beginning to miss the the that just kept winning this building with youth is not what I thought it would be or am I to impatient

Clam Jensen

Apr 8, 2008
NJ
Rebuilds take time. I’m also a yankees fan so I was spoiled with how quickly they retooled, but seeing the youngins start putting it together is far more rewarding (to me at least) than plugging in vets. The vets will come too, when the roster is able to really contend. You need those glue guys to fill holes.

Devils090

Feb 16, 2014
I’ve would like to start a discussion about winning and losing with different type of teams.
The Lou Era with a well build veteran team without any own drafted players or the approach we are doing now with building through the draft?

I beginning to miss the the that just kept winning this building with youth is not what I thought it would be or am I to impatient

the hell are you talking about

Azathoth

May 25, 2017
Centre of Chaos
The reason (or at least a big part of the reason) they aren’t winning a lot right now is because the vets on the team that should be carrying a big part of the offense (Palms and Goose) and defense (Subban) are laying about as bad as possible so far. The youth are kicking ass so far. Between Hughes, Smith, Bratt, and eventually Nico and Blackwood I haven’t been this optimistic about the future of this team in quite a while.

Reactions: mattihp and My3Sons

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
the salary cap and rule changes ended the lou era. you can't build a team in 2021 the same way you built one in 1993.

this season, i'm actually enjoying watching the games for the first time in years because it's finally starting to come together and we have a decent coaching staff. how could anyone watch hughes, smith, shara, etc and long for the days of andrew peters is baffling to me

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

It's extremely lazy to think there's only an all-vet or an all-young way to build a successful team. Obviously if you're rebuilding you want more youth than vets (while if you're contending you add vets as final pieces) but it's not a matter of magically winning with a lot of trades and FA signings, you still have to have the core drafted from within. Our three Cup teams had Brodeur, Elias, Niedermayer, Rafalski, Madden, Dano, Brylin, etc all either come from the farm or as UDFA post-college signings - yes I know a couple were 'trades' but they were trades of guys we still had to draft and develop. And I defy anyone to find a team filled with 25 and under players that won big, you don't just throw out twenty kids and think they can learn the league by osmosis.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
Sooner or later you've got to take your medicine, either way.

A vet reliant team without an inflow of equally impactful kids and few to no star players has no shot at the cup. And a bunch of kids who take forever to win games normalize mediocrity to the point where they never win. Talent matters. Standards matter. Easier to enforce the latter when you've got the former.

Looking at Nashville right now is enough vindication for me. Shero stuck with Hynes too long. But older NJ fans are pretty insufferable with this stuff - quit whining and be patient. You witnessed one of the most special eras of any sports team ever.

Reactions: NJDevs26

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad