A Win/Loss record of two Edmonton pro sports franchises.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I always figured this was the difference.

U of A had a big alumni event just last weekend. Judging from pictures 25 people over age 30 went to it..well maybe some professors.

Of course I'm tongue in cheek with the estimate.

But I had no interest in going. Haven't liked the way the U of A has been run or the recent priorities and will leave it at that.

But aside from that the main thing that Frank mentioned that is spot on is that getting into an Ivy league or bigten in States is such a big deal that people kind of identify with that for life.

Much different mindset here. Canadians, jmo, more worldly in looking forward and beyond borders and not as involved in the past. We move on.
US more about tradition, history, patriotism, and regional values and identiy.

Last edited:

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
They won 1 home game last year. They've been above .500 twice since their last GC win. I can't even remember the last time they beat Calgary, let alone at home. It's sad to think that the Oilers, as bad as they are, have a championship appearance more recently than a better team in a worse league.

It's a damn good thing the East, like it is in most sports, is completely incompetent.

This was an outlier. Also they lost a few games by anywhere from 1-3 pts afairc

Year before esks were 5-4 at home.

As already mention the Esks record at home since 2006(and their worst stint as a team that anybody can remember) is their home record is still a winning 42W 37L.

As contrasted with what we get from the Oilers this is not really suffering. Albeit I've learned to erase from my mind what Macciocia looked like here. I'm trying to do that with Eakins right now but its not working..;)

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Being good at home != Being good.

Getting stomped by your biggest rival time after time really negates that whole feeling of winning at home.

Xelebes

Jun 10, 2007
Edmonton, Alberta
Its bigger than football. Its the classic worship of anything American vs Canadian content. From films to books to music etc.

Not sure why and I don't subscribe to it but its there.

Take the U of A Golden Bears. A hockey team that in their plateau years can compete with NCAA squads and many of whom stopped wanting to play the Golden Bears in friendlies. Yet 3K maximum attendance at Clare drake and not always full and NCAA clubs draw in the several thousands. Yet Golden Bears offer among consistently the best played hockey found among Universities but only to a select audience.

Lol that top Canadian artists from Neil Young to Rush always have to break first in the States before getting huge acceptance here. Tragically Hip being one of the rare exceptions to this.

But overall its as if the US informs us whats good, and what isn't.

The music industry is significantly different. The United States had (and continue to have) a greater supply of recording studios and record labels. It's been only since the democratisation of the recording industry in the late 70s that Canada coinciding with the rise of Cancon that we started building our own recording studios en masse. Even then, it wasn't until the mid-late 90s before we could push out Canadian artists that would make it big locally and regularly. The artists who now make it big in the US first are highly reviled back home (Nickelback, Justin Bieber.)

All that said, I prefer Canadian football. I can't give a damn about American football.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
43K fans leaving Commonwealth after a better performance by the Esks than the Oilers have put forth in years.

24-0. Shutout

Happy fans, yes!

Hopefully the Oilers got a good look at this pandemonium and winning fun tonight.

lmao at Hall freezing his ass in a windbreaker in the first quarter. Ever go to a fall Football game Taylor? Wasn't even cold out there but you gotta wear something if you're out there for hours..

Eberle picked the wrong team, he's gonna be hearing about this shutout for awhile.

Anyway bringing the players to the house of a winning Eskimo team probably a good thing to do for the upstart Oilers.

Wonder what was learned;

Oh wait, whats that, if we bust our ***** and compete its fans cheering their heads off and not pitching jerseys on the field.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
43K fans leaving Commonwealth after a better performance by the Esks than the Oilers have put forth in years.

24-0. Shutout

Happy fans, yes!

Hopefully the Oilers got a good look at this pandemonium and winning fun tonight.

lmao at Hall freezing his ass in a windbreaker in the first quarter. Ever go to a fall Football game Taylor? Wasn't even cold out there but you gotta wear something if you're out there for hours..

Eberle picked the wrong team, he's gonna be hearing about this shutout for awhile.

Anyway bringing the players to the house of a winning Eskimo team probably a good thing to do for the upstart Oilers.

If Eberle and Hall and the others have to rely on the offense-less Eskimos to inspire them they're in bigger trouble than we imagined.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Try to smile with me. :D

This is a good Edmonton sports night.

Where Yak with the celly?

It was certainly nice to beat the Riders (who unsurprisingly were very inept without Durant) but let's not turn it into the greatest thing to happen to Edmonton in the past few years.

A berth in the GC will be that (and even then I'm not sure it overtakes the Oil Kings this year)

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
It was certainly nice to beat the Riders (who unsurprisingly were very inept without Durant) but let's not turn it into the greatest thing to happen to Edmonton in the past few years.

A berth in the GC will be that (and even then I'm not sure it overtakes the Oil Kings this year)

Well heres the big thing. An Eskimos team that has been accused of being overly pass reliant has just run the ball 300yds against a good D that is the only thing keeping Riders in games.

I'm thrilled at an electric performance running the ball. The D shutout pitched is almost secondary.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
It amuses me that somebody had to make a thread about why Oiler and Esk fans are so grumpy lately.

It's pretty damned obvious.

But I am going to remain positive.

I believe that things are looking promising for both teams.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Well heres the big thing. An Eskimos team that has been accused of being overly pass reliant has just run the ball 300yds against a good D that is the only thing keeping Riders in games.

I'm thrilled at an electric performance running the ball. The D shutout pitched is almost secondary.

I'd be more thrilled if they figured out how effective running the ball can be a few games ago.

I'm honestly expecting them to go back to overpassing the ball next week.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
It amuses me that somebody had to make a thread about why Oiler and Esk fans are so grumpy lately.

It's pretty damned obvious.

But I am going to remain positive.

I believe that things are looking promising for both teams.

Eskimos are 9-4 and in the mix for best record in the league this year.

Why would Esks fans be grumpy about watching this excellent team?

That was the point. Grumpiness about the Oilers is completely understandable. But somewhat mysterious with the Esks.

we don't forgive and forget here very quickly apparently.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I'd be more thrilled if they figured out how effective running the ball can be a few games ago.

I'm honestly expecting them to go back to overpassing the ball next week.

John White just came off the 6 game injured list.

He's head and shoulders the best back we got. We got him back which is huge.

if we had him all this time who knows what our record would be. Or if Reilly wasn't injured.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Eskimos are 9-4 and in the mix for best record in the league this year.

Why would Esks fans be grumpy about watching this excellent team?

That was the point. Grumpiness about the Oilers is completely understandable. But somewhat mysterious with the Esks.

we don't forgive and forget here very quickly apparently.

I guess I should have clarified what I meant by "lately". I was talking about the last 8 years in general (Machochia, Reed, Tillman etc.)

Did I mention that things are looking promising for the teams?

:p:

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Wow, guess I better start watching Eskies again. Think I heard this is the first shutout of the Roughriders since 1986. I have gotten so used to wallowing in the misery of following the Oilers that I never think to look other places to be positive about an Edmonton based team.

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
The CFL is a joke, sorry to say. Quality isn't there like it used to be even just 10 years ago. Used to somewhat care about Canadian football but just can't anymore. It's boring, slow... everythinf is 3rd rate... NCAA national champ would easily give Grey Cup champ a run for their money. College football in the States is more entertaining for me personally, I don't even watch a lot of college football but I'd still prefer to watch NCAA over CFL.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
The CFL is a joke, sorry to say. Quality isn't there like it used to be even just 10 years ago. Used to somewhat care about Canadian football but just can't anymore. It's boring, slow... everythinf is 3rd rate... NCAA national champ would easily give Grey Cup champ a run for their money. College football in the States is more entertaining for me personally, I don't even watch a lot of college football but I'd still prefer to watch NCAA over CFL.

Actually this is a good time for the CFL. One just has to discern where the talent is.

CFL currently struggling at QB position but defensively the recruits have been solid and better than I've ever seen here.

The brand of game has just changed somewhat due to the quality of defenders the league can now target.

The hiatus of NFL Europe league has resulted in the CFL being the next place to land after the NFL unless I'm missing something here. I think a strong argument could be made that NFL Europe competed with players that could otherwise find their way to the CFL.

But in any entertainment it depends whether one can appreciate the brand on display. Can I appreciate what John White showed last night and the talent involved in that? sure I can. Or the talent and ability of the several esks high ranking defenders, sure I can.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00