A Waiver-y Chocolate LeClair

Status
Not open for further replies.

Donga

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Raleigh, N.C

The Carolina Hurricanes have picked up All Star left winger John LeClair off waivers. Many have thought that Carolina was an unlikely destination for LeClair as the Canes have always preached financial discipline.

“To be honest with ya, we didn’t know if we wanted John or not,†said GM Dion Ong. “It was a last minute thing as we didn’t know where we stood. We knew other teams were interested but luckily none of them were ahead of us in the pecking order.â€

One man’s garbage is another man’s treasure. For the Canes, this sort of talent has not graced the left wing since Scott Gomez was in town. Part of the vaunted Legion-Of-Doom line, LeClair will be expected to provide a presence for the Canes and help the likes of youngsters with some veteran leadership.

“I am very happy to be here in Carolina,†said LeClair. “I knew what was going on. They wanted to rebuild and as a player like me, there is nothing I can do about it. I hope I can repay the faith the Canes have put in me.â€

With the season approaching the half-way season, this could be the move makes or breaks the Canes season.

“As I told most of you at the start of the season, this division is wide open for second spot behind the Capitals,†said Ong. “We are like 3-4 games behind 8 spot. None of the teams ahead of us except maybe the Lightning are in any great form. With John and hopefully Andrew (Cassels) coming back soon, we might push for that playoff spot. â€

It seems that most people agree. Some of the fans are even talking about playoff tickets.

“John has been an awesome player,†said Joffrey Lupul. “For someone like me, his presence will only benefit my play. He will definitely help us make the playoffs.â€

“We haven’t played that badly at all this season,†said Carolina coach Bryan Murray. “We might have gotten spanked here and there but they were few and far between. We have push and won against the big teams. Now with John, we hope to win more games than we lose. We are still a few games from 500 hockey bt if we make it by half way, I’ll be pleased.â€

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad