Tribute A tribute to Jonathan Huberdeau, the all -time leading scorer for the Florida Panthers

ProjectPanthers

Podcast discussing the Florida Panthers
Mar 6, 2002
Towanna
linktr.ee
After 9 seasons of some pretty dazzling hockey from number 11 I think it's time we paid tribute to the man Steve Goldstein often refers to as Hubey Dooby Dooooooo.

What is your favorite memory/stat/whatever involving Jonathan Huberdeau.

I'll start.

Favorite memory probably has to be his first game ever with the team scoring a goal and 2 assists in a season opening win over the Hurricanes. Really felt like the tides were slowly starting to turn again for the franchise after that game.

Favorite stat has to be that there's only been something like seven 5-point games in Florida Panthers history and Huberdeau has 5 of them? Might have that a little off but it's still something crazy like that.

Anyway, I'll miss #11 and I wish him the best in Calgary but I am looking forward to no longer seeing the annual hanging his head on the boards after we lose in the playoffs shot.

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
I still recall early in his career as a still pretty scrawny guy, he'd take a beating getting to the net to score a goal. I was surprised by his feistiness as a supposed playmaker.

Also remember there was a year that we just missed the playoffs, maybe 2019, and he was devastated. You could see he really wanted to have success here.

I'll just leave only good thoughts here as a tribute thread.

Dr Beinfest

Jun 11, 2012
Washington, DC
Damn yo. I hope we didn’t just do him dirty. I sincerely hope he and the organization were in agreement that moving on was best for the team as they couldn’t retain him past this year for whatever reason.

Reactions: harv33173

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
I'm a new Panthers fan compared to almost every poster here. I started watching the Panthers when Jagr joined the team, but I stayed a fan after he left. Huberdeau and Barkov played a large role in that, 2 of my favorite Panthers.

going to miss him and I hope he continues his elite production in Calgary. One of the best players and the best playmaker in franchise history.

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
Huby played his best hockey with Barky and Jagr, prior to his achilles tendon injury. Around that time he was fast and actually wanted to be a big game player.
The HBJ line has yet to be surpassed in terms of Chemistry for sure.

Personally, I think his 2020-21 postseason was arguably his best showing as a Panther. He was our clear cut best player during those playoffs imo.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
I'm gonna miss Huby. He gave it his best here, for 9 years. I really wanted almost nothing more than seeing Hub, Barky, and Ek raise a Cup together. It really sucks it won't happen. That said, the Panther on the front has always been first and foremost over any name on the back to me. And I'll always be like that. And this is a good trade, if Huby and Weegs re-sign in Calgary then we gave up a little too much, but we just acquired a 24 year old 90 point power forward for 8 years.

I'll miss Weegs too, I think he'll have a decent year. He worked his way up from 7th rounder to 1st pairing, paid his dues in the minors, and even if one can question him, he's still usually very proficient in blocks, hits, and takeaways. Probably not worth what he was looking for on his extension though. In a way, Zito may have made the best of a less than favorable position with these two contract extensions. I wish him the best though.

Also, all prayers to KW in these tough times.

The HBJ line has yet to be surpassed in terms of Chemistry for sure.

Personally, I think his 2020-21 postseason was arguably his best showing as a Panther. He was our clear cut best player during those playoffs imo.
Yup, and proof for any doubters that Huby wants to win. He was great that series. I don't think he'll win a Cup in Calgary, and that sucks, but hopefully he does somewhere down the line.

harv33173

Oct 5, 2003
I'm a new Panthers fan compared to almost every poster here. I started watching the Panthers when Jagr joined the team, but I stayed a fan after he left. Huberdeau and Barkov played a large role in that, 2 of my favorite Panthers.

going to miss him and I hope he continues his elite production in Calgary. One of the best players and the best playmaker in franchise history.

personally i am very sad to see huby go. panthers were his favorite team and he wanted to play here. i think it was a mistake giving up huby and weegar. they solidified both our offense, defense, power play and power kill. they are huge pieces for our team and i don't like giving them up!!!!!! hope this doesn't come back to bite us in the arse. i guess i have to put my trust in in our g.m. and front office, but i still don't like the trade.

Reactions: Felidae

Ekblad

Mar 10, 2010
Miami, Florida
It is so difficult to come to terms with losing Huby. On one side, I get it.. Expiring deal and why wouldn't he demand barkov+ money? He is older and that's a risk, both in terms of future injuries, decline in play and future cap flexibility.
On the other hand, man have I loved having him on the team for what feels like forever. Still remember the draft when we got him, his first year playing with Peter Mueller and Drew Shore.
In my dreams, he will come back next summer on a cheap deal just to get to be part of the team, but I know that would never happen. Sad to see him go, and wish him all the best in the future.

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
One of my all-time favorites. It sucks to see him go expecially as he's been waiting for this team to be successful too. I just got my first Huby jersey 2 weeks after the playoffs ended too :(

We will miss you sweet prince!

Justlou4545

Jul 14, 2007
Hialeah,Fl
One of my all time favorite Panthers. Saw him play his first game and score his first goal in sunrise and had a feeling he would be a good one. Sucks to see him go but its a business and these guys only have some much time in this league that they need to make as much as they can while they can.
Really glad after the Luongo trade I decided to never buy player jerseys lol. Expect to see a lot of them on ebay now lmao.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
One era came to end.
Huberdeau was really good player for Panthers.
But the sad fact is that you don't get other 100 PTS season player in any trade
if GM sends shit as a return but with all seriousness who should've got traded for Tkachuk
if not Huby and Weegar.

Would've it been Barkov and Lundell or Lundell and Knight or
someone else like Hornqvist and Heponiemi etc.
Think about that.

I whish Huby and Weegar all the best in Calgary Flames.
Hopefully this trade won't bite Zito and Panthers straight into ass later.

Last edited:

scholl

Jun 26, 2019
Helsinki, Finland
Hopefully this trade won't bite Zito and Panthers straight into ass later.
Tkatchuk is no Bertuzzi.

For me there are above all three Huberdeau memories.
1. When he played together with Jagr and Barkov the team really started to get some credibility and look like a professional one
2. Him and Barkov together for years in any situation on ice. If they were in different lines, people would say that put them together and Panthers will win. Some people were even thinking that they played in the same line when they didn't because that tandem was so well known
3. When Barkov got injured and Fla kept winning, he showed that he can lead a winning team and score a lot of points without Sasha. At least here in my country last season was the first one when people started to realize that he really can play hockey

Robbie Hawley

Feb 29, 2020
I'm gonna miss Huby. He gave it his best here, for 9 years. I really wanted almost nothing more than seeing Hub, Barky, and Ek raise a Cup together. It really sucks it won't happen.

Man that’s such a sad though. Maybe throw Trocheck in there too. I know its been a few years but I loved it when Huby, Barkov, Ekblad, Trocheck and Weegar all played together.

I‘m from the UK and started following NHL/Florida Panthers the year Huby started. I think only Barkov and Ekblad left of the old crew now :(

Sad news! :(

16Skippy

Sep 12, 2009
I was going to say something similar. When he filled out and embraced the cycle play with Jagr and Barkov showed me that he was serious and determined to improve, that he was not some delicate genius who can only make flashy plays.

Depending on how old you are you either watched him grow up or grew up with him. Kinda weird to think about lol

WaitingForThatCab

#1 Nick Cousins Fan Account
Mar 11, 2017
Who have the Panthers drafted and developed that is (or was) better than Huberdeau? That's a very, very, very short list.

So, even though I felt there was something strained and weird going on, and I'm not surprised that he was traded, I'm still sorry to see it. I hope he has a good year in Calgary and finds what he wants in free agency.

The trade is done, so now I can only hope that this doesn't negatively affect team chemistry.

Reactions: Vilam and Felidae

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
Who have the Panthers drafted and developed that is (or was) better than Huberdeau? That's a very, very, very short list.

So, even though I felt there was something strained and weird going on, and I'm not surprised that he was traded, I'm still sorry to see it. I hope he has a good year in Calgary and finds what he wants in free agency.

The trade is done, so now I can only hope that this doesn't negatively affect team chemistry.
Calgary, with the departures of MT and JG, suddenly became one of the few places that is poised to give Hubie his deal of the decade. I’m betting he gets and takes a 6 or 7x$9 from them. Who else would give him that?

Don’t feel sorry for Hubie or Weegs. The tens of millions they’ll make will make life quite bearable once they figure out that they got money lucky with the trade.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Calgary, with the departures of MT and JG, suddenly became one of the few places that is poised to give Hubie his deal of the decade. I’m betting he gets and takes a 6 or 7x$9 from them. Who else would give him that?

Don’t feel sorry for Hubie or Weegs. The tens of millions they’ll make will make life quite bearable once they figure out that they got money lucky with the trade.

He’s getting the max term.
They offered Gaudreau 10.5x8

Reactions: I am not exposed

Little Bobby Boo

Jul 30, 2014
I remember listening to a 31 Thoughts podcast where they talked about Ryan Nugent-Hopkins and Huberdeau.

RNH was never able to hit a higher gear than "good player." He never put in the work/bulked up.

Huberdeau put the work in to become an elite hockey player. His game isn't overly rounded, but he excels at what he is good at. While he may not be a shutdown player, he is no slouch. He isn't just shoved off the puck like he used to be. He wins board battles and kills penalties. He is great off the rush and is an elite playmaker.

Now that he's on a Canadian team he is getting crazy overrated and that's fine. Just weird to see after watching him play for 10 years.

I won't necessarily "miss" Huberdeau, but I did enjoy watching him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad