Proposal: A translation thread

Wisent42

Jan 9, 2012
Södertälje
I got an idea. It may be a crappy idea, but I'll throw it out there for you to judge.

I've been thinking a few times that I should offer my services as a translator to this forum. Not that I'm a translator per se, but at least I manage Swedish and English well enough. I've just never gotten around to actually doing it. But the idea grew on me and I was thinking that we've got fans here from different countries (Sweden, Finland, Latvia for example). And since we've got players from different contries too (Larsson, Ristolainen, Girgensons, to continue the examples) I thought that we could all pitch in and help translate articles on our countrymen.

What I propose is that we make this an official translation thread (I prefixed it "proposal" since I'm actually proposing something - change that to any prefix that fits) and let people come here with articles in non-english that they wish to have translated/summarized. Yes, there's Google Translate, but having a real person who actually understands the text translate it is usually better.

So what do you say? Yay, or nay? If yay, perhaps pin the thread?

Uberpecker

Mar 3, 2011
Good idea and I'd offer my services gladly, but with both Vanek and Ehrhoff gone and no French Canadian on the team, neither my German nor my French will be of much use for the time being.

Wisent42

Jan 9, 2012
Södertälje
Good idea and I'd offer my services gladly, but with both Vanek and Ehrhoff gone and no French Canadian on the team, neither my German nor my French will be of much use for the time being.

I was going to say "Yeah, but prospects" but... no. Apart from a couple of Swedes, it's all about Americans and Canadians. Oh well, I'm sure something will turn up so you can make yourself useful. Maybe there's a French Canadian article on Ryan O'Reilly's driving skills out there. :laugh:

RobertR

Jul 5, 2012
I'll gladly do that.

Sadly there are not many interviews with Zemgus in our media. (or I'am just visiting wrong websites :help:)

I can translate from Russian too. I've read pretty big interview with Makarov couple of months ago. Should've translated it. :(

But here wasn't a thread for that. ;)

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
I got an idea. It may be a crappy idea, but I'll throw it out there for you to judge.

I've been thinking a few times that I should offer my services as a translator to this forum. Not that I'm a translator per se, but at least I manage Swedish and English well enough. I've just never gotten around to actually doing it. But the idea grew on me and I was thinking that we've got fans here from different countries (Sweden, Finland, Latvia for example). And since we've got players from different contries too (Larsson, Ristolainen, Girgensons, to continue the examples) I thought that we could all pitch in and help translate articles on our countrymen.

What I propose is that we make this an official translation thread (I prefixed it "proposal" since I'm actually proposing something - change that to any prefix that fits) and let people come here with articles in non-english that they wish to have translated/summarized. Yes, there's Google Translate, but having a real person who actually understands the text translate it is usually better.

So what do you say? Yay, or nay? If yay, perhaps pin the thread?
I think users can just continue to ask for a better translation when posting a non-English link in the appropriate player or prospect thread. Typically, most of the native speakers will post a quick translation or summary when they share something noteworthy from their press anyway, and for anything else, they can translate any links to add context or clarify something when they come across that post in their regular browsing.

I'll use goalie prospect Jonas Johansson as an example. I data mine a few places before sharing updates, but they're in Swedish meaning I probably won't spot every reference to him via translations. I do look at league, team, and stat pages, then the national or local press. In my latest update, I used UNT.se as the local press in a Johansson post, but they, like the others, didn't have a detailed recap published yet. However, you read that post and then replied with an article from the opponent's local press in Brynas and we got our prospect update. I'm not in mid-season form yet and didn't think to check here or there.
:5:

Wisent42

Jan 9, 2012
Södertälje
I think users can just continue to ask for a better translation when posting a non-English link in the appropriate player or prospect thread. Typically, most of the native speakers will post a quick translation or summary when they share something noteworthy from their press anyway, and for anything else, they can translate any links to add context or clarify something when they come across that post in their regular browsing.

I'll use goalie prospect Jonas Johansson as an example. I data mine a few places before sharing updates, but they're in Swedish meaning I probably won't spot every reference to him via translations. I do look at league, team, and stat pages, then the national or local press. In my latest update, I used UNT.se as the local press in a Johansson post, but they, like the others, didn't have a detailed recap published yet. However, you read that post and then replied with an article from the opponent's local press in Brynas and we got our prospect update. I'm not in mid-season form yet and didn't think to check here or there.
:5:

Maybe you're right. A translation thread might be overdoing it. As I said - it's just a proposal. Wanted to see what people think. :)

Aapo

Jan 16, 2011
I'm pretty sure there's an official translation thread at the Sweden forum for anyone who wants English from Swedish translations. Not sure about other languages though...

Sabretip

Jan 13, 2010
Phoenix, AZ

Same here. When Hecht, Sulzer, Ehrhoff and Vanek were around, my German came in handy but not now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad