A trade DL should of made?

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
I know we shouldn't be looking at the past but looking over the Clutterbuck for Nino trade and how Clifford is still unsigned, couldn't DL have offered a package with Clifford for Nino? It would make losing Clifford, if that's where we are heading, a little easier to swallow.

takk

Feb 19, 2013
Warszawa
If Dean wanted Nino, he'd sent Bernier to Isles and even maybe he would have got a first as well. Isles fans were sour about Snow not chasing Bernier after the trade to Leafs was done.

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
Clifford has done more than Nino, far more. I wouldn't express regret just yet. There are an infinite coulda shoula woulda's you can look back to. Hard to criticize the results though and I'm not sure that's one of them. They wanted Bernier more, and Clutterbuck is considered better than Clifford.

Mats26

Sep 16, 2005
While Bernier was being shopped, I am sure Nino's name came up since he was traded later. So the question is not about Bernier. We got a fairly better package from TO than just Nino from the Isls, but why did DL not call Garth back about Nino? Will he not be our top rated prospect after Toffoli? Did DL really not want him?

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
The way Dean preaches about the right fit when adding players I don't honestly see nino being of interest. Ninos additue would surely rub dean the wrong way. Also with nino s contract im not sure we could have afforded him.

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
While Bernier was being shopped, I am sure Nino's name came up since he was traded later. So the question is not about Bernier. We got a fairly better package from TO than just Nino from the Isls, but why did DL not call Garth back about Nino? Will he not be our top rated prospect after Toffoli? Did DL really not want him?

I remember one of the TSN guys saying that the Isles talked to us about Bernier, but said that Dean didn't like Nino.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Clutterbuck was a junior teammate with Tavares, so I think the Islanders put a little value in that. I was a little surprised at the 2011 Draft when they took Strome over Hamilton, but it came out later that Strome and Tavares were friends.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Clifford > Nino

No way would I want to see Kyle traded for Nino. If anything, I'd be more disappointed we couldn't get Clutterbuck.

Nashville Transplant

Feb 28, 2013
Nash/LA
I question Nino's work ethic and dedication.

I'm not sure I question his work ethic and dedication, as much as I question the thickness of his skin. The Isles did screw with his head a couple of times. I think he's got WAY more upside than Clifford, but I'm not sure he'd have been a guy DL would have wanted at any cost.

Also, it's "a trade DL should HAVE made"... not should OF :)

Omni Owl

No fun, only 1-3-1
Mar 9, 2008
Would've rather done Clifford + Bernier for Strome + picks. Can never have enough good young center prospects. I read somewhere that Dean wasn't interested in Nino because he felt the Isles botched his development...

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I think people also forget nino's caphit is 2.79mill. That would result in having to shed more payroll.

I think the bonus cushion is back this year, so Nino's contract might have hypothetically fit. His base salary (925K) would have counted, but they could have pushed any attained bonuses onto the 14-15 cap. Minnesota's near the cap too, so I think that's why the deal worked for them since they traded Clutterbuck/Setoguchi to free up space.

Mats26

Sep 16, 2005
For cap reasons? I don't see it. Clutterbuck is at 2,750,000$ and Nino is at 810,000$with bonuses. Nino would fit if you are using the cap as a reason for not getting him.

scramble91

Jul 6, 2010
For cap reasons? I don't see it. Clutterbuck is at 2,750,000$ and Nino is at 810,000$with bonuses. Nino would fit if you are using the cap as a reason for not getting him.

Yes that was mistake on the cap. I was agreeing with rec. that his work ethic and attitude could be problematic (ontop of the mistaken cap).

High risk for a kid who hasn't put it together yet on a mediocre team.

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
I know we shouldn't be looking at the past but looking over the Clutterbuck for Nino trade and how Clifford is still unsigned, couldn't DL have offered a package with Clifford for Nino? It would make losing Clifford, if that's where we are heading, a little easier to swallow.

I for one don't want Nino. I'd rather have Clutterbuck than Nino (all cap hits aside).

Bonuses count into your cap hit.

http://www.capgeek.com/player/1887

Nino's cap hit for 2013-2014 is $2,795,000.

CowMix

Go Kings Go!
Feb 12, 2006
Dean should look into seeing what he could get with Clifford + Muzzin/Martinez package.

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
Nino too expensive and everyone who questions his character is right to do so. DL didn't want NN.

Clifford could be better than Clutterbuck and cheaper too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad