" A team drafted a prospect in the 1st rnd that we had ranked in the 7th rnd" Director of Scouting

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Definitely Merkley, Johnsson isn't a 7th round talent. Merkley isn't either but his attitude/work ethic concerns would have on him on some teams DND list

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Definitely Merkley, Johnsson isn't a 7th round talent. Merkley isn't either but his attitude/work ethic concerns would have on him on some teams DND list
DND, but not 7th round.

If he's on their DND list it means they don't want him anywhere near their prospects. That wouldn't change with a 7th round pick.

Johnsson isn't a 7th round pick objectively, but EU prospects are notoriously underscouted.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
As for where Veleno was projected to go in the draft, the HF Flyers' own Magua has been sounding off alarms on Veleno since last summer. He had him ranked at 37th and that seemed gifty given his concerns.

Veleno being brought up is beyond stupid. Thats fine if Magua has been sounding alarms since last summer, at the end of the day this guy who has sounded off since last summer still only ranked him 6 picks out of the first round ie 187 picks away from being a 7th rounder. And a lot of guys making lists likely didnt have as many viewings of him in Drummondville which I'm sure helped his draft stock a lot.

Posters deserve to get chirped for picking him of all guys to be the one they think is likely the seventh rounder

theVladiator

May 26, 2018
Half of the first rounders are bust, so it doesn’t mean much.

This.

Pick *any* player from the bottom of the 1st, and there is a 50/50 chance (or better) he should not have been drafted at all. What's the fuss over low ranking?

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
If Central Scouting means anything, Filip Johansson had a big jump from Mid to Final going from 17 to 10, over Kupari and Bokk. Johansson was all over the board as well as scouts couldn't get a good read on him. Minnesota does have a pretty good track record for developing solid defensemen and right-handed defensemen are a big commodity these days.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
Could it have been Kaut, following his heart surgery? I know doctors gave him a clean bill of health, but I could see how some teams might have dropped him to the bottom of their boards after finding out about a procedure that sounds so serious.

PattyLafontaine

Apr 5, 2006
Given the circumstances the 1st v 7th discussion isn’t about character issues or injury concerns. It’s strictly about a talent evaluation.

Kingsfan1

Oct 1, 2006
Staples Center
What about K’Andre Miller . His numbers look good because he was on a stacked team but other than that doesn’t impress me much .

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Johansson. Guy was a consensus 3rd rounder, and I could see how he could fall on some lists.

Merkley is top 10 in terms of talent. I’m surprised how many GMs wouldn’t even wager a late round pick on him.

Reactions: Josepho

sabresEH

May 17, 2009
Kelowna, BC
I could see it being O'Brien. Late birthday playing in USHS Prep. Played 7 games with the U18 USDP with 2 points. Could've been a combination of a team not liking the league he was dominating and his performance when he did play against higher caliber. Yet Philly sees what he can be 5 years down the road and took a "flyer" on him.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
The thing about "DND" is that most say that, but if the player does drop a serious amount, they usually shift their stance.

So there were guys who likely said he was on their do not draft list, and others who had him 7th round as a way to say, "there's no way we're drafting him unless absolutely nobody drafts him after 180 picks

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
What about K’Andre Miller . His numbers look good because he was on a stacked team but other than that doesn’t impress me much .
His defense is very good and so is his skating. He’s big as well, if a team had him in their 7th round that’s pretty dumb of them
I had him at 15

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
His defense is very good and so is his skating. He’s big as well, if a team had him in their 7th round that’s pretty dumb of them
I had him at 15
A lot of scouts had him either at the very end of the first round or in the second. To me, he is a second round talent, but people have different opinions about him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad