Post-Game Talk: A successful season?

Captain Fantastic

Connor McMastadon
Feb 24, 2012
YEG
Was doing some thinking about the playoff run and Smith. Smith played well for the majority of the games played but he let in goals at real key times. What irks me is a couple of bounces our way and the Colorado series would probably be 2-2 right now. We had Zero bounces go our way. Colorado had plenty. Pucks bouncing off defensemen, pucks off the ref right to an AVs player. Avs getting the calls and we didn't. Even that OT goal was F'd up. loI ... I know the saying is that good team make the breaks for themselves but man we were unlucky and at times Smith was as well.

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
Was doing some thinking about the playoff run and Smith. Smith played well for the majority of the games played but he let in goals at real key times. What irks me is a couple of bounces our way and the Colorado series would probably be 2-2 right now. We had Zero bounces go our way. Colorado had plenty. Pucks bouncing off defensemen, pucks off the ref right to an AVs player. Avs getting the calls and we didn't. Even that OT goal was F'd up. loI ... I know the saying is that good team make the breaks for themselves but man we were unlucky and at times Smith was as well.
Very good point a tremendous amount of luck has to occur when 16 teams are left standing to make it all the way as well.

SnooPac

Sep 13, 2008
Hi all.
So, for myself, I was recording (digitally, of course) all the games. I was hoping they'd go on a full run, at least to the finals, and maybe even win it. If so, I'd keep it archived (like I have for the 2006 run).
I've been doing this the past few years, and just deleted the files after 4 games :).

Anyway, I was planning to delete these recordings.
But before I do, does anyone want anything? Either clips from any games, even full periods/games? If so, let me know (by PM). Otherwise, I'll delete them all within a couple days, probably.

Reactions: MessierII

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
I love how some leaf fans and TO media are suggesting the Leafs had a better playoffs

We beat calgary we happy

"How does 2 play 3?? If the Leafs played in the easy division tho"

pepe.jpg

Fans load up on the Hopium only to switch it out for the Copium after round 1. Every. Single. Year.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Hi all.
So, for myself, I was recording (digitally, of course) all the games. I was hoping they'd go on a full run, at least to the finals, and maybe even win it. If so, I'd keep it archived (like I have for the 2006 run).
I've been doing this the past few years, and just deleted the files after 4 games :).

Anyway, I was planning to delete these recordings.
But before I do, does anyone want anything? Either clips from any games, even full periods/games? If so, let me know (by PM). Otherwise, I'll delete them all within a couple days, probably.
Kane annihilating Kadri is kind of nice. McLeod and Kass scoring and their reactions were good moments.

I have most of the Oilers SC's on VHS but those don't play, sigh. Tried everything including different players, winders to get those videos back to playing condition. Stick em in a VHS and they just don't move. What a format, lol, better than betamax though heh. I used to record everything on VHS like video junky. Now its all worth landfill. I should find a way for these to be NFT's lol "Oh these are worth something, really..."

SnooPac

Sep 13, 2008
Kane annihilating Kadri is kind of nice. McLeod and Kass scoring and their reactions were good moments.

I have most of the Oilers SC's on VHS but those don't play, sigh. Tried everything including different players, winders to get those videos back to playing condition. Stick em in a VHS and they just don't move. What a format, lol, better than betamax though heh. I used to record everything on VHS like video junky. Now its all worth landfill. I should find a way for these to be NFT's lol "Oh these are worth something, really..."
Kane/Kadri:

McLeod (TNT):

Kassian:

Sucks about the VHS tapes. I wonder if there are services that could recover it?
I think some of the games might also have been available on NHL's Gamecenter, if you have an account. At least they used to have some old Classics section when I had the service years ago...

Garrison

Mar 31, 2022
There was so much doubt before the season and during the season that the team can make the playoffs. Getting to the CF is a huge success in my opinion. The guys saw they can do it and what they have to do to take it further.

Reactions: oilers'72

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
I agree with most of what you wrote, just one point of contention. Holland did inherit a pile of garbage- Holland made it worse. Holland had 97 and 29 take a huge step forward while the rest of the team was the worst in the league. Coaching for sure was part of it, we saw a flip when Woodcroft came in
THe biggest flip was when Kane came in and kicked everyone not belonging out from top 6. I think it was significant more important than Woodcraft to be honest.
Woodcraft is miles better for the team than dino-Tippet.

There was so much doubt before the season and during the season that the team can make the playoffs. Getting to the CF is a huge success in my opinion. The guys saw they can do it and what they have to do to take it further.

The switch from TUrris to Kane had its impact on team success as well....

Reactions: oilers'72

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
After having a couple days to digest everything that went on, I have to say for me personally this is a bigger gut punch than losing to Carolina in 06. In a vacuum, being one of the last 4 teams standing would certainly have been considered a success going into the season, and really even going into the playoffs too. But the way it all unfolded was truly a botched opportunity to win the Stanley Cup.

Not one, but two players go absolutely nuts and produce at levels not seen since Lemieux and Gretzky were in their primes. A third guy takes a serious run at the playoff goal scoring record. And for all that, the team goes 8-8. Every other team in league history that got McDavid/Draisaitl level production out of their stars won the Stanley Cup. Every single one of them.

McDavid popping off like that was a once in a generation occurrence, and Jay Woodcroft for all the great things he's done, basically stood there and let Mike Smith and injured Nurse torpedo a very real chance at winning the Cup. No guarantees at all that Koskinen gets the job done, but at least give yourself a chance. Smith played about one good game since the LA series; downright shocking that he was still given the starts in Games 3 and 4 of this series, and he was a total joke in both of them. Feel damn bad for the 18 guys that played their asses off on Monday night, (including Nurse who surprisingly had his best game in weeks) only to be sunk once again by downright disgraceful goaltending.

Even in 06 I never really thought they were going to win the Cup, besides when they were in control of Game 1 against Carolina. I truly did feel that this team was going to win it all after they survived LA with the way McDavid was playing. Delusional? Maybe. But like I said, every other time a player hit this level, it ended with that player receiving the Stanley Cup. Hard to swallow that this one time in particular it only got the team halfway there.

Sorry to be so negative, but damn....

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
After having a couple days to digest everything that went on, I have to say for me personally this is a bigger gut punch than losing to Carolina in 06. In a vacuum, being one of the last 4 teams standing would certainly have been considered a success going into the season, and really even going into the playoffs too. But the way it all unfolded was truly a botched opportunity to win the Stanley Cup.

Not one, but two players go absolutely nuts and produce at levels not seen since Lemieux and Gretzky were in their primes. A third guy takes a serious run at the playoff goal scoring record. And for all that, the team goes 8-8. Every other team in league history that got McDavid/Draisaitl level production out of their stars won the Stanley Cup. Every single one of them.

McDavid popping off like that was a once in a generation occurrence, and Jay Woodcroft for all the great things he's done, basically stood there and let Mike Smith and injured Nurse torpedo a very real chance at winning the Cup. No guarantees at all that Koskinen gets the job done, but at least give yourself a chance. Smith played about one good game since the LA series; downright shocking that he was still given the starts in Games 3 and 4 of this series, and he was a total joke in both of them. Feel damn bad for the 18 guys that played their asses off on Monday night, (including Nurse who surprisingly had his best game in weeks) only to be sunk once again by downright disgraceful goaltending.

Even in 06 I never really thought they were going to win the Cup, besides when they were in control of Game 1 against Carolina. I truly did feel that this team was going to win it all after they survived LA with the way McDavid was playing. Delusional? Maybe. But like I said, every other time a player hit this level, it ended with that player receiving the Stanley Cup. Hard to swallow that this one time in particular it only got the team halfway there.

It’s fair to feel this way and I understand it, and as much as I was upset about Nurse and Smith playing in games 3 and 4, I don’t know if they still win those games with Koskinen and going 7D without Nurse. And even if they do, would they win the series? And if they win the series, I think they only could have won the Cup if they were playing the Rangers in the finals (which is possible but not likely, and the Rangers could win that series as well).

It sucks but it is what it is. They can actually be better next year with a younger, more consistent starter, a defense first add to the D and a little extra forward depth in lieu of Kane (who I don’t think they can afford, unfortunately).

prazskycanuck

May 9, 2022
Even if he doesn't become a finished product, I have no idea why the board wants to dump him so bad. He's a fine third liner, which you need.

He's never going to live up to the 4th OA hype, but that's no reason to throw the player away and then go riffling through the trash bin hoping for someone of the same level and likely coming up with someone much worse like Brassard. He's one of our better forecheckers, if people just accepted him for what he is instead of what they wanted him to be 4 years ago, maybe he would be less hated.

At the end of the day, he should be relatively inexpensive to resign, which is a good thing because we can't afford any more $5M+ players.
I kind of understand that top 6 is what he wants and he will be a disgruntled 3rd or 4th liner if that is the role he is expected to play... For me that is one of the problems. If he takes the role, I agree that he is valuable at 2 MM and 10-12 per night.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
It’s fair to feel this way and I understand it, and as much as I was upset about Nurse and Smith playing in games 3 and 4, I don’t know if they still win those games with Koskinen and going 7D without Nurse. And even if they do, would they win the series? And if they win the series, I think they only could have won the Cup if they were playing the Rangers in the finals (which is possible but not likely, and the Rangers could win that series as well).

It sucks but it is what it is. They can actually be better next year with a younger, more consistent starter, a defense first add to the D and a little extra forward depth in lieu of Kane (who I don’t think they can afford, unfortunately).
We'll never know how things might have gone, but injuries were mounting for Colorado and Francouz was looking leaky by the third period of game 4. Avs are a great team, but they were beatable, particularly after Kadri was knocked out. But alas...hope it doesn't take 15 years to get close again.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

I appreciate the clear view. I feel similar.

Lets unpack it a different way. Look at our top 5 producers in the playoffs. McD 33pts, Drai 32 in unprecedented performances. This is 3 rounds of excellence. Kane piling in 13goals in only 15GP, Hyman with another 11 goals. Nuge with 14 pts.

These players were piling in pts and contributions. Of a volume that the team will likely never match. The sordid view is that the team couldn't outscore its mistakes. The team got those incredible performances from so many production forwards and still got swept by the AV's and needed 7 games against the Kings. Its a mixed bag at best. The team was ,500 in the playoffs and two of their opponents were LA without Doughty, and the Calgary Flames (who I don't think are very much) We lost in straight games to the first stiff opponent.

In my view what occurred in the AV's series resembled so much what happened in the Jets series a year ago. Team can't keep a lead, team shows up weak in games 1, and 2, team never gets the big goal to get a result in the closer games. This was a team that lost EVERY first game of rounds. Not a great look.

We almost got knocked out by LA in first round. It took incredible production and performance from our core players just to avoid that fate. The only impressive round we brought was against the Flames, a club that almost always loses out in the playoffs. An old WC club that couldn't score took that club 7 games. Flames were paper tigers and we knocked them over. I'd expect to. But I'd expect a team with Kane (and we probably can't keep him) to at least be better than being swept against the AV's.

What you saw was several of our players on a mission. Like the Habs last season. Like Dallas a few seasons ago or maybe STL the year they won the cup. The dig down from our leading forwards was incredible, clearly as much as they could ever give. It still wasnt enough to even be close to Colorado.

Kane/Kadri:

McLeod (TNT):

Kassian:

Sucks about the VHS tapes. I wonder if there are services that could recover it?
I think some of the games might also have been available on NHL's Gamecenter, if you have an account. At least they used to have some old Classics section when I had the service years ago...

There are services like Jeet that could bring those tapes back to life and transcribe digitally but costs a lot of money to get that done. Thanks for the videos above.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
I appreciate the clear view. I feel similar.

Lets unpack it a different way. Look at our top 5 producers in the playoffs. McD 33pts, Drai 32 in unprecedented performances. This is 3 rounds of excellence. Kane piling in 13goals in only 15GP, Hyman with another 11 goals. Nuge with 14 pts.

These players were piling in pts and contributions. Of a volume that the team will likely never match. The sordid view is that the team couldn't outscore its mistakes. The team got those incredible performances from so many production forwards and still got swept by the AV's and needed 7 games against the Kings. Its a mixed bag at best. The team was ,500 in the playoffs and two of their opponents were LA without Doughty, and the Calgary Flames (who I don't think are very much) We lost in straight games to the first stiff opponent.

In my view what occurred in the AV's series resembled so much what happened in the Jets series a year ago. Team can't keep a lead, team shows up weak in games 1, and 2, team never gets the big goal to get a result in the closer games. This was a team that lost EVERY first game of rounds. Not a great look.

We almost got knocked out by LA in first round. It took incredible production and performance from our core players just to avoid that fate. The only impressive round we brought was against the Flames, a club that almost always loses out in the playoffs. An old WC club that couldn't score took that club 7 games. Flames were paper tigers and we knocked them over. I'd expect to. But I'd expect a team with Kane (and we probably can't keep him) to at least be better than being swept against the AV's.

What you saw was several of our players on a mission. Like the Habs last season. Like Dallas a few seasons ago or maybe STL the year they won the cup. The dig down from our leading forwards was incredible, clearly as much as they could ever give. It still wasnt enough to even be close to Colorado.

There are services like Jeet that could bring those tapes back to life and transcribe digitally but costs a lot of money to get that done. Thanks for the videos above.
The jets series we controlled the play and just couldn’t find a way to beat Helly. I don’t think this series was anything like that. The only similarity is the other team found a way to get a big goal/bounce when we couldn’t. Avs dominated the play vs us the entire series like they’ve dominated the play vs everyone so far.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad