A Shooter's Mentality...

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
We can get into debates about the system, about this and that but to me this is the biggest issue that we have and something that Fletcher has been trying to solve. This isn't something that Yeo can fix because it's on the players. Our team does not like to shoot the puck and create chances.

Let's take two of our recent arrivals:

Devin Setoguchi: He has 22 shots for the season, which works out to 1.7 shots per season (along with some change). In an 82 game season, that would put him at roughly 139 shots. The year before he had 174 shots in 69 games and had a whopping 2.52 shots per game, which works out 207 shots for the season if he stayed healthy. Sounds good right? Well with the Sharks he would have had 227 the year before he came to the Wild, 193 in his sophomore year and 249 shots his rookie season. So it seems his shot total has gone down slightly. 2.72 shots per game compared to 2.32 shots. That doesn't sound like a lot but it is. 190 shots per season compared to 223 shots.

Dany Heatley is up next: He has 26 shots this season and that works out to 2 shots per game! 164 if we had a full season. Last year he had 238 :O. Sounds good right? That's his second lowest shot total since his days with the Thrashers. He even got 300 shots off in Ottawa and averaged around 230-250 with the Sharks. He's usually good for at least 200 shots per season. It doesn't look like he'll even get close this season.

Even Mikko Koivu shots are a bit low these past few years (averaging 227 shots this year, 192 last year, 220 the year before that). His best years came when he finally pushed his total over 230 with his best year clocking 246 shots that season.

As much as we want to complain about the system (And there are legitimate claims), Minnesota is having difficulty shooting the damn puck. Parise is certainly helping this year but with guys like Setoguchi, Heatley and Koivu not shooting the damn puck as much, our average looks normal because Parise is a monster with 4.5 shots per game.

This is the biggest issue; We're 26th in shots this year. Anaheim is lower, I know. New Jersey is lower. But Anaheim is scoring more goals. New Jersey is scoring more goals. They are making their shots count.

Nashville is last but they have bigger issues.

We've been last in shots per game since 2007-2008 when surprise, surprise, we were 26th. 4 years we've been last in shots. We've changed GMs since then. We've changed coaches since then. We've added players and tried to change things up. But the fact is; we aren't shooting the damn puck. And I know shots don't always equal goals but it can create chances. Rebounds. Deflections. Something. ANYTHING that can get this offense going. I put this blame on the players, not the coaches. Not the GMs. They can only do so much. But it comes down the players. If they aren't taking chances, and trying to get the puck to the net, then no system, no amount of swapping players around is going to change that.

As a final point the guy we got rid of Marek Zidlicky is already at 30 shots for the season. He would be third on this team in shots at this point in time. Havlat is at 33 for the season.

Something isn't right in Minnesota and it isn't the coaches. It isn't the GM. It's the players. I want to see Zucker up here because the guy shoots. The guy creates chances and creates offense. We need a shooter to create those chances and none of the current players are doing that.

Last edited:

Jarick

Doing Nothing
You can't get a shot off if you don't have the puck in the offensive zone. Unless you're Clutterbuck and take a shot from the blue line from the boards. You have to get the puck in the zone, you have to get and maintain control of it, and then you have to get a shooting lane, and then you shoot the puck.

This year in rec hockey, I played against a couple weaker teams and got about 15 shots off each game. Because we had more puck possession time and their defense was weak and gave up time and space. Nearly every time I enter the zone I can take a shot on goal. But when we've played the top teams, I only get 3-5 shots off. The other team plays so tight defense against me that I barely have any room to shoot, so it becomes more dump and chase and try to retrieve and bang the puck home.

Such a big part of it is the Wild aren't doing the first parts, getting pucks deep and then getting control of them. They dumped but could not retrieve the puck. That's a huge part of why they're not getting shots. Under Lemaire, they dumped and then waited for the opposition to try and move the puck and pick it off or create turnovers. Under Yeo they are dumping the puck and forechecking to retrieve it with a couple guys but not getting to it, giving up numbers the other way.

So no I don't have any good explanation as to how they can fix it. Only thing I can think is, if this coach is aggressive and the Wild don't have the size and speed to get the puck, make adjustments to more of a trapping system and passive forecheck?

But then, I watched the Wild shoot the puck very well in the third, they just couldn't bury it. Credit to Vancouver's defense and Luongo. And a lot of bad luck. The Wild must have the worst puck when it comes to shooting on empty nets. Pipes, sticks, flubbed shots...

Check out our PDO numbers compared to the league:

Feb 4 = 0.993 (more or less even)
Feb 11 = 0.978 (getting less lucky)

When they do start pouring on the shots, the other team's goalie gets super hot and/or lucky. It's frustrating.

They are doing a lot of the right things with no reward. So I have no idea what to say. Parise and Koivu are working their butts off but have nearly no points since the hot start.

Does firing Yeo fix it? Maybe. I don't know who the coaching genius is out there to replace him. If there was a Hitchcock or Tippett or another defensive coach who could put in a tight system for the team to follow, I'd be interested...but I see a bunch of guys whose time is long gone and a bunch of coaches who were hotshot AHL guys taking their first NHL gigs and failing.

THEALLKNOWING*

You can't get a shot off if you don't have the puck in the offensive zone. Unless you're Clutterbuck and take a shot from the blue line from the boards. You have to get the puck in the zone, you have to get and maintain control of it, and then you have to get a shooting lane, and then you shoot the puck.

This year in rec hockey, I played against a couple weaker teams and got about 15 shots off each game. Because we had more puck possession time and their defense was weak and gave up time and space. Nearly every time I enter the zone I can take a shot on goal. But when we've played the top teams, I only get 3-5 shots off. The other team plays so tight defense against me that I barely have any room to shoot, so it becomes more dump and chase and try to retrieve and bang the puck home.

Such a big part of it is the Wild aren't doing the first parts, getting pucks deep and then getting control of them. They dumped but could not retrieve the puck. That's a huge part of why they're not getting shots. Under Lemaire, they dumped and then waited for the opposition to try and move the puck and pick it off or create turnovers. Under Yeo they are dumping the puck and forechecking to retrieve it with a couple guys but not getting to it, giving up numbers the other way.

So no I don't have any good explanation as to how they can fix it. Only thing I can think is, if this coach is aggressive and the Wild don't have the size and speed to get the puck, make adjustments to more of a trapping system and passive forecheck?

But then, I watched the Wild shoot the puck very well in the third, they just couldn't bury it. Credit to Vancouver's defense and Luongo. And a lot of bad luck. The Wild must have the worst puck when it comes to shooting on empty nets. Pipes, sticks, flubbed shots...

Check out our PDO numbers compared to the league:

Feb 4 = 0.993 (more or less even)
Feb 11 = 0.978 (getting less lucky)

When they do start pouring on the shots, the other team's goalie gets super hot and/or lucky. It's frustrating.

They are doing a lot of the right things with no reward. So I have no idea what to say. Parise and Koivu are working their butts off but have nearly no points since the hot start.

Does firing Yeo fix it? Maybe. I don't know who the coaching genius is out there to replace him. If there was a Hitchcock or Tippett or another defensive coach who could put in a tight system for the team to follow, I'd be interested...but I see a bunch of guys whose time is long gone and a bunch of coaches who were hotshot AHL guys taking their first NHL gigs and failing.

The Clutterbuck comment made me laugh. I wonder if people realize that a majority of what may be considered a pass of his, is really a shot. He would take a shot from the defensive zone blue line if given the chance.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
The Clutterbuck comment made me laugh. I wonder if people realize that a majority of what may be considered a pass of his, is really a shot. He would take a shot from the defensive zone blue line if given the chance.

Can't score goals if you don't shoot. His shots create rebounds that sometimes lead to goals.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Disagree that we need to bring in players who "shoot the puck". At least this year. Think about Ovechkin, who shoots the puck a ton. He's not getting nearly as many goals the last few years, but he's not getting nearly as many shots. It's not his mindset, it's the defenses playing him tighter which takes away his shooting opportunities.

Comes back to how do you play against a tight trapping team? Dumping pucks, fast players who will hit the defenders and force pucks loose, players who can retrieve the puck and work it along the boards, and guys who will go to the net.

Who's leading Washington in scoring? Look at the even strength goal totals...Joel Ward, Troy Brouwer, and Matt Hendricks. The skill guys like Ovy and Ribeiro are scoring on the PP, not really at even strength.

Look at how Granlund has played the last couple games since being scratched...he's more willing to dump the puck and to make a hit to create opportunities. That's how he's adjusting.

Again, if there's a coach out there who can figure out how to win against the neutral zone trap without a dump and chase, I'd be fascinated to hear exactly how that works.

llamapalooza

Hockey State Expat
Aug 11, 2010
Montréal
It's call getting rid of Cullen, Bouchard, etc. and adding Zucker.

Getting rid of Bouchard might be the worst possible thing for this team. He's the only forward who creates space with skill and creativity, attempts to make any plays off the rush, or generally has any dimension to his scoring game other than "dump it in and see what happens."

That's not to say he's the only talented forward, by any means. But he accomplishes it in a very different way from the rest of the team. He can try those cute little flashy plays...and actually make them, rather than creating a dangerous turnover.

Anyone remember the game where he had that breakaway goal, and then a penalty shot later that same period? Is there another player on the team who has even had a breakaway, let alone scored on one?

I'd swap Zucker for Cullen though. :D

tomgilbertfan

#WhyBother
Jun 22, 2008
Minnesota
Getting rid of Bouchard might be the worst possible thing for this team. He's the only forward who creates space with skill and creativity, attempts to make any plays off the rush, or generally has any dimension to his scoring game other than "dump it in and see what happens."

That's not to say he's the only talented forward, by any means. But he accomplishes it in a very different way from the rest of the team. He can try those cute little flashy plays...and actually make them, rather than creating a dangerous turnover.

Anyone remember the game where he had that breakaway goal, and then a penalty shot later that same period? Is there another player on the team who has even had a breakaway, let alone scored on one?

I'd swap Zucker for Cullen though. :D

Mike Rupp had a breakaway.

THEALLKNOWING*

Mike Rupp had a breakaway.

I was surprised that the defenseman really didn't close much on him either. Just think if he was about 30 lbs lighter, and 15 years younger. Of course, if I was that d'man, I might want to start working on my quickness.

llamapalooza

Hockey State Expat
Aug 11, 2010
Montréal
Bouchard WAS awesome the first few games, has been pretty bad lately, healthy scratch last night, I didn't miss him much.

I'll agree that he's been struggling, but nobody else on the team plays the same kind of game, so it's imperative that they get him going, rather than give up on him. If they replace him internally, it will be with someone who's frankly a bit redundant to the rest of the forwards.

countrygentleman

The Kaptain Says ARR
Jan 14, 2010
Minnesota
I think this falls back partially on our dump and (supposed) chase system that never gives us the puck in the offensive zone or the ability to shoot off the rush.

It also stems from captain and leader Koivu who won't shoot unless the pass is directly onto his stick and nobody is within 15 feet. That mentality trickles down and now nobody shoots.

WildisLaw

The curse is real
Jan 19, 2010
Cali
Maybe they would score more if they moved their feet and created shooting lanes. Half of their shots get blocked every game. More East/West skilled hockey and less North/South grinder garbage.

Northland Wild Man

Finnesotans?
Jun 14, 2011
Grand Forks, ND
The problem I noticed in the last game was that every shot was down low. That won't work against butterfly goalies. Pads are much too big now, and it's only wise if someone is directly in front of the net for a rebound.

Beegoalie

Dec 21, 2011
Pominville Minnesota
The problem I noticed in the last game was that every shot was down low. That won't work against butterfly goalies. Pads are much too big now, and it's only wise if someone is directly in front of the net for a rebound.

You don't beat goalies clean in this league..the only way to get a rebound is to shoot low. And still then 70percent of the time or more there is not rebound. The goalies are that good.

Eye Floater

Feb 3, 2009
USA
Against Vancouver I noticed on numerous occasions that we took shots from the point with clear shooting lanes. That's all fine and dandy, but on those occasions we did not have a single body within 15 feet of the net. No screen, no hope for a rebound goal. With our notable lack of general skill, zone entry skill, as well as speed, we absolutely need to be getting more garbage goals. Be relentless, crash the net.

Maladus

Sep 23, 2011
Colorado
One reason I'd like to see Brodin on the number 1 pp unit is because he is unafraid to shoot the puck. Suter usually only shoots when he has a clear lane and bouchard is ALWAYS looking to pass. Does not make for a good combination when both of the guys on the point are always trying to pass.

Another thing I'd like to see is Zucker getting called up, not only is he willing to shoot and has a great shot but he also always seems to find open space for a pass or skates to open space for a shot.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Watched the Detroit-St Louis game last night. The difference in their players ability to carry the puck while skating with speed as well as their passing plays were night and day.

It ain't about guys having open lanes and not shooting...it's about guys standing still and being suffocated by the defense so they can't do anything with the puck.

DeuceMN

Really?
Oct 1, 2011
Chi-Town, Il
One reason I'd like to see Brodin on the number 1 pp unit is because he is unafraid to shoot the puck. Suter usually only shoots when he has a clear lane and bouchard is ALWAYS looking to pass. Does not make for a good combination when both of the guys on the point are always trying to pass.

Another thing I'd like to see is Zucker getting called up, not only is he willing to shoot and has a great shot but he also always seems to find open space for a pass or skates to open space for a shot.

I would like to see Brodin on the #1 pp as well. He is excellent at keeping in the puck, he moves it well, his passes as hard and fast(I know;)), he also has an excellent shot that gets on net almost every time.

I wouldn't mind Suter-Brodin.

I don't like Spurgeon on the #1.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad