A SERIOUS DEBATE: Should we have drafted Monahan?

bluedevil58*

I just can't look past the kind of Production he has. I know it's still too early to tell. But all bets here and now! Who will have the better career?

Discuss!

FlyingSquirrels

Jul 5, 2011
Yes.

But it's not Lindholm's fault. We rushed Elias to the show cuz JR is an idiot. Should've ripened in Europe for at least 1 year, maybe 2.

Anton Babchuk

Nov 3, 2005
Raleigh-Durham
twitter.com
weren't you on the "should of drafted nichushkin" train last year? what happened with that? or does the player we should have drafted change every year depending on their recent performance?

should florida or tampa have drafted monahan?

Last edited:

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
We should have traded up to draft Seth Jones but our lazy GM decided nap time was more important. #jrmustgo

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
I like to think Lindholm is on a Ryan Johansen trajectory. I am not worried, the talent is evident.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Monahan was a guy that I think nobody would have been upset with had we drafted him at the time. Same with Nichushkin. At the end of the day though, while Nich had a really solid rookie season, and Monahan has been quite good his first two seasons, I like Lindholm's trajectory just fine. I think he looks so far and away better than last year. Last year I was afraid every hit would end him. Even after the WJC when he was looking a lot better, I think he was nowhere near the player he has been this year. I've maintained the whole year that Lindholm this year looks fantastic compared to last year, even when some have claimed he's "invisible". I think as long as you just look at Lindholm in a vacuum and at his progress at his age and considering he was rushed that he's looking quite good. Hopefully he continues his progression. A lot of his passes are thing of beauty multiple times per game. And he's shown some of the flashes of the finishing skill and puck dogging that can make him a great player.

At the end of the day though, I don't think I see the point in pining for other players that could have been had. I think Lindholm is and will be a fine player in his own right.

SeaBasstian

Don't Tread On Me
Mar 5, 2007
Connecticut
We should have traded up to draft Seth Jones but our lazy GM decided nap time was more important. #jrmustgo

to be fair, ive been watching Seth Jones the last 2 seasons and he doesn't look as comfortable out there as you would imagine. in fact he has become sort of a turnover machine this season.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
to be fair, ive been watching Seth Jones the last 2 seasons and he doesn't look as comfortable out there as you would imagine. in fact he has become sort of a turnover machine this season.

Sounds a lot like Chris Pronger with the Whalers. That turned out OK I think.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Not to say that it also wouldn't have been worth looking into trading up for Jones, but wasn't it rumored we'd have to give up Skinner and our pick? That would have been steep.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
He's got 16g 19a, is 3rd on the team in scoring, and has been a big part of having a good PP for a change (4g 9a).

His development seems like it's right on track.

16-17 I think is when we see who should've could've would've in terms of redrafting.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015

Don't forget Seth Jones is only 20.... Most top defensemen don't even touch NHL ice until they are about 21-22, and then it still takes them another 2 or 3 years to develop. Seth Jones is way above that curve, and should turn into a very solid defender.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
The answer to the question is NO.

The DISCUSS is we could not have gone wrong either way. However, my crystal ball tells me that Lindholm has the greater long term upside. Plus Swede.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad