Online Series: A Series of Unfortunate Events

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Although just a smidge lighter in tone than the feeling I got reading the books, this is a far more faithful adaptation of the books than the film and it's really well crafted.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Watched the first two episodes so far, enjoying it though though I swear Patrick Warburton's narration is putting me to sleep.
Both episodes around 30 minutes in or so I've nodded off for about 10 minutes.

Maybe I'm just getting old :/

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
Still have to watch the last two episodes, but really enjoying this. Patrick Warburton as Lemony Snicket is being done perfectly.

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
Watched the first two episodes so far, enjoying it though though I swear Patrick Warburton's narration is putting me to sleep.
Both episodes around 30 minutes in or so I've nodded off for about 10 minutes.

Maybe I'm just getting old :/

Lol I thought it was just me, but I find myself nodding off and by the time I wake up the episode is over and I have to watch again.

The show is ok so far, I am not enjoying it like the rest of you yet. I can't put a finger on why.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Lol I thought it was just me, but I find myself nodding off and by the time I wake up the episode is over and I have to watch again.

The show is ok so far, I am not enjoying it like the rest of you yet. I can't put a finger on why.

Agreed. It's decent, but nothing exceptional. Maybe if I were a teenager this would seem much cooler than it does now.

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
Agreed. It's decent, but nothing exceptional. Maybe if I were a teenager this would seem much cooler than it does now.

Part of it is probably that the show is essentially aimed at people of all ages. They decided to make something that kids and adults could watch. I'd probably like it better if it was a little bit darker, but I understand why it was done this way and am enjoying it nonetheless. It isn't "remarkable" by any stretch, but it is a fun show to watch that does a good job with the books.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
I like the set design, and I like NPH.
Find the humour amusing.

Its a bit quirky but generally I enjoy that.

Just Snickets bits seem to lull me to sleep for a bit

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
I am wondering if anybody who hasn't read the books watched this series and liked it?

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
never read the books or saw the movie

shooting style reminds me a little of Pushing Daisies

liked the first 3 episodes I have watched

Yeah. I was thinking Pushing Daisies stylistically as well.
Or more generally, it's like someone's taking Bryan Fuller's style and making it more depressing

F L Y E R S

Orange & Black
Aug 27, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
Just started watching it without knowing what to expect. I'm 4 episodes in, and I definitely enjoy it.

NPH has me cracking up during a lot of parts. Especially when plays Stefano, Monty's new assistant. The voice is great lol.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Kids want to watch this. Little girls, 12 and 9, for those who have seen it is it appropriate?

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
It's mostly family friendly, however the scene where NPH looks directly at the camera and says, in a demonic voice, "KILL YOUR FAMILY KILL YOUR FAMILY" for 5 straight minutes may not be best for little ones.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Enjoyed it plenty. Didn't think I would.

Kids want to watch this. Little girls, 12 and 9, for those who have seen it is it appropriate?

Probably. In my opinion humour is aimed at adults, but there's nothing that's all that inappropriate. They've probably seen worse. Though I cringed when NPH tried to marry the 13 year old actress lol (I never read the books). Hit home for me as insanely creepy as someone with a young daughter too. She's four so don't even have to tackle this question yet lol.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
I am getting through this slowly. It's decent enough, the running gag of Count Olaf changing appearances and pretty much everyone being daft about it is getting kind of thin though.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
I am getting through this slowly. It's decent enough, the running gag of Count Olaf changing appearances and pretty much everyone being daft about it is getting kind of thin though.

That's pretty much how it goes down in the books.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Nathan Fillion was money in the 2nd season. I am still really enjoying this show. NPH has been real good throughout. The surrealist gothic yet modern feel seems too weird to work, but it does somehow. Super funny all the way through. I am already super pumped for the 3rd series. I'm guessing that will be the last as they plan to adapt the last of the books it sounds like.

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
The show is awesome.

A lot of it stems from the source material being brilliant. The author created such a cool experience, and made it actually intellectual in a ton of ways. The Quagmire orphans little notes, the elevator hiding spot, stuff like that I think is awesome. I thought the second season was great, and I had read the books up until the hospital, I believe.

The star of the show is easily NPH. He hits the nail on the head of what Count Olaf should be. Evil and motivated, but also quirky and funny. He does a great job of not making the character hatable, which was similar to the character from the books.

I'm aware of that. It is just a little easier to read than to watch the numbskullery I guess.

I agree with this somewhat. I do realize it's in the nature of the books, but my mind often would think about that. In the carnival when he literally says his name is Count Olaf, and he has pretty much no disguise on, and Poe still doesn't see...

I always wanted to slap Poe

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad