Online Series: A Series of Unfortunate Events

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Didn't see a thread for it and it comes out in two days so I thought I'd open a thread on it if anyone is interested.

On first glance from the trailer it looks rather silly but it's opening to some very great reviews (rated higher than Homeland, Taboo, and The Young Pope on the new January arrivals on Metacritic; 86/100.)

I read the book series as a kid and was disappointed in the Jim Carrey film that only covered the first three books. Seems worth checking out.

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
Excited to blast through this, and glad that the early reviews have been so good.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
I definitely read most of these books as a kid. Even got one signed by Lemony Snicket, I remember.

I just have no recollection of whether or not I finished them...

Sniped

Snowballs at Santa
Mar 13, 2013
Philly
Yeah, I loved this series as a kid. I don't remember any of the plots anymore, but I remember really enjoying reading them as a kid.

Will definitely give it a watch.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Yeah, I loved this series as a kid. I don't remember any of the plots anymore, but I remember really enjoying reading them as a kid.

Will definitely give it a watch.

I remember very basic points from most of the books so if this does well enough it would be a welcome revisiting.

I do remember the backstory with the parents and the secret organization stuff got convoluted near the end so I do hope it's fleshed out properly.

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
Looking forward to this.

NPH is phenomenal and will nail Count Olaf. I thought Jim Carrey was awful in the role.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
All I remember about the Jim Carey one is the ending credits. They were incredibly well done (really sweet animations in the background)

Caps Circle

Jan 19, 2015
Chantilly, VA
Grew up with the books and have remained fresh with the convoluted plot details. Even read the prequel series he wrote. Needless to say I'm really looking forward to it :laugh:

The movie sucked, so I'm hoping the TV show does the books justice.

DeYarmond Edison

drinkingpinkrabbits
Apr 10, 2011
Bored in the USA
The first books I was ever able to fully immerse myself in. Very excited for this. I really don't remember anything about the movie.

I wonder if it would be worth it to pick up the books again. Could probably knock out the entire serious in a couple of days.

Deport Ogie

Jun 30, 2014
Suburbia
Cautiously optimistic. I will cop to loving the books and having re-read them a few months back when I learned this series was a thing. Wasn't sure about NPH but the reviews I've read glow about his performance; specifically about how he was able to come across as a true threat and someone to be feared, something Jim Carrey was not able to do.

The real joy in the books comes from the gothic setting mixed with the sense of a much larger mystery mixed with the narrative meta-humor. That last part may be hardest to convey within a series but I've yet to be let down by Patrick Warburton so...fingers crossed.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I think the scene in the above trailer where the guy tells the children their parents died in a horrible fire, then gets into what perished means and then just smiles at them appropriately captures the tone of the books, but that's only one scene so we'll see.

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
Has there been any word on how many books this covers? I think the Jim Carey movie did the first two or three books.

I read them all as a kid but can't for the life of me recall much of anything about them. I don't know if that means I won't enjoy the series or if I'll enjoy it even moire because I will be semi-unspoiled. :laugh:

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Has there been any word on how many books this covers? I think the Jim Carey movie did the first two or three books.

I read them all as a kid but can't for the life of me recall much of anything about them. I don't know if that means I won't enjoy the series or if I'll enjoy it even moire because I will be semi-unspoiled. :laugh:

The first season will cover books 1-4.

Last edited:

PBandJ

Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
I think the scene in the above trailer where the guy tells the children their parents died in a horrible fire, then gets into what perished means and then just smiles at them appropriately captures the tone of the books, but that's only one scene so we'll see.

That was the first thing I noticed. Really captures how awkwardly I imagined that scene when I read the book.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Never read the books, but saw the movie.
The one thing from the trailer for me was I kept thinking I was rewatching the movie. I get the source is the same books, and so there's only so much leeway but the visuals including how I remember the colours seem eerily too similar.
That and NPH (love him), really looks like he's playing Jim Carrey.

Going to watch the series for sure though.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
First episode was good. NPH's Olaf is a bit more of a goofball than I would have liked but I was expecting that.

I really liked how Patrick Warburton was utilized as Snicket as we was seemingly narrating the story while physically in the settings themselves. Almost as though the whole thing were a play.

PBandJ

Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
Two episodes in, I'm very happy with this.

NPH is definitely playing up the goofball, but he has moments of seriousness that are great.

They handled Sunny perfectly. The child actors are actually damn solid.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad