Post-Game Talk: A Scientific Phenomena-Habs Shutout Again-(3-1 Down in Series)

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017

Brendan Gallagher and Shea Weber address the media via Zoom following the Canadiens' 2-0 loss to the Flyers in Game 4 on Tuesday.

Tomas Tatar and Phillip Danault address the media via Zoom following the Canadiens' 2-0 loss to the Flyers in Game 4 on Tuesday.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009

I never thought I'd see Gallagher getting punished like that. Something is up with him. If he were injured, wouldn't the coach know?

Visiblement insatisfait du travail de Gallagher, l’entraîneur-chef Kirk Muller a d'ailleurs décidé de ne pas l’utiliser pour les dix dernières minutes de la rencontre.

TRANSLATION: Evidently unsatisfied with Gallagher's performance, head coach Kirk Muller decided not to deploy him in the last 10 minutes of the game.

À VOIR: Brendan Gallagher piqué au vif - TVA Sports

I like that about Muller. He was a player and knows that sometimes you need a kick in the ass to get things going. I have no problem with the benching. All hands on deck or GTFO.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
My pre series prediction is looking better and better
PHI VGS in the finals
I don't know even after our 5-0 game I said flyers in 5 if habs didn't repeat the same hard nosed effort. I was one of the people arguing that this was nothing like the playoffs and we could reasonably beat the penguins in the playins because a lot of teams treated it as preseason. Once the rust shakes off, the loser clubs will be thrown to the wayside in round 1. Its happening today. If things go very poorly all 4 teams that shouldn't have made the playoffs will have been eliminated in 5. Which says just how much validity this tournament has. Only bright side is Bergevin doesn't get held up with a nice pick, and the league looks stupid with this stunt. 5th-8th place teams picking 9-16th OA and 20th-24th place teams picking 17+....just brilliant. So the bad teams get worse, the OK teams get a nice new toy, people believe the "anything can happen" none sense and we get nearly swept in the second round.

I was HAPPY seeing the best game from the habs in a few years while at my dads house. But then reality of a bargainbin team smacked us in the face. I will be fair that one of the only times he actually trades away players for assets-we laughably make the playoffs on a technicality and a gimmick. If we knew we might have made the playoffs I don't know if he trades off our assets. I can say for certain that thompson has outplayed all his former team mates in this series. Scandella and cousins would be assets over some of the guys that are in and Kovy has to be an improvement over Belzile.

Reactions: Runner77

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
people believe the "anything can happen" none sense and we get nearly swept in the second round.

3loszn.jpg

JohnLennon

Mar 26, 2011
Watch out. You're going to receive a TON of hate for this post. Some people here genuinely want the team to suck, and are gleeful when they do.
Honestly haven't received any hostile responses, though I suspect my post got a bit drowned in the sea of hate lol! Thanks for the head's up!
I'm seriously frustrated with Habs offensive ineptness in this series. I mean from Lehkonen falling on a 2 on 0 to Belzile trying to hit the Scotiabank roof on a clear shot to players not being able to receive even basic passes, the Habs are doing it to themselves.

Yes, give some credit to Philly, but any chance Montreal gets they're completely incompetent with it. Only KK and Suzuki are able to play with offensive flair.
A lot of frustration for sure with some clear chances we fanned on (don't get me started on the sheer amount of posts either), but I do agree our offensive game has been a step behind. I do credit Philly arguably more than anything though - they're almost perfect at protecting even the most slim leads. That first goal tonight will be crucial.

On the other hand, while Lehkonen missed that big chance and he wasn't great yesterday, I do think he's been one of our best players overall these playoffs. Belzile puts in good effort but I agree with you, the skill isn't there. This is traditionally where we lean on Drouin, Tatar, Gally and Domi but they've been somewhat quiet these playoffs. We really need them to come out strong tonight or I suspect Bergevin makes some key changes this offseason.

I'm sure everyone can agree these playoffs have been MORE than encouraging signs for Suzuki and Kotkaniemi's potential with this club and as players in this league!

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Nobody wants to add size for the pleasure of size. Does anybody really want to add Brian Boyle, Byfuglien and Colborne and think that we'll suddenly be a cup contending team? Of course not. Size is more size than what we have. And it's if 6'1'', size is strength also. It's the possibility that when the talent game isn't there, that the grit game is. It,s about not being easily pushed around reducing the risk of injuries. It's about a better mix of player. It's about everything our actual management has no clue about.

Reactions: Rapala

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Repercussions from who? HFHabs?
What a joke.

As another poster pointed it out, there will be no repercussions. It just feels good to speculate that there might be, I suppose.

Reactions: Rapala

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
Nobody wants to add size for the pleasure of size. Does anybody really want to add Brian Boyle, Byfuglien and Colborne and think that we'll suddenly be a cup contending team? Of course not. Size is more size than what we have. And it's if 6'1'', size is strength also. It's the possibility that when the talent game isn't there, that the grit game is. It,s about not being easily pushed around reducing the risk of injuries. It's about a better mix of player. It's about everything our actual management has no clue about.
No I agree its not only about size. The problem is. Its harder to get size with offence skill. I mean Josh Anderson got 4 points in columbus and they still asking a 1 or 2nd pick for him. Im wondering if we could have this kind of return for tatar who got 61 points. Its like centerman, or RD. Thats tough to get, you will have to overpay to have a size and skill player. So the best is to select them at the draft imo.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
There was a graph showing Habs have fewest homegrown (drafted & developed) players of any of the playoff teams at present but most players acquired via trades.

Regardless of how well those trades turn out, it will never compensate for the complete inability to properly draft talent. Not even the greatest GM of all time can consistently make Courtnall for Kordic lopsided deals. 2008-2015 draft shortfalls really set the org back.

2008 - 2011 no longer has any real impact on today. That era is long gone and there's been ton of time to recover. The best player came in 2010 and he's turning 28.

Lot of the playoff teams, including Philly (Provorov/Konecny 2015, Hart 2016, Farabee 2018) are getting their value from recent draftees by actually developing and drafting well. That's their #1 D, leading scorer, and #1 goalie who they hype as better than Price.

Meanwhile Montreal has Kotkaniemi 2018, Lehkonen 2013, Gallagher 2010.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
2008 - 2011 no longer has any real impact on today. That era is long gone and there's been ton of time to recover. The best player came in 2010 and he's turning 28.

Lot of the playoff teams, including Philly (Provorov/Konecny 2015, Hart 2016, Farabee 2018) are getting their value from recent draftees by actually developing and drafting well. That's their #1 D, leading scorer, and #1 goalie who they hype as better than Price.

Meanwhile Montreal has Kotkaniemi 2018, Lehkonen 2013, Gallagher 2010.
My post clearly stated 2008-2015. It’s remarkable they’ve even had competitive seasons with nearly a full decade of drafting futility.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad