WEEI A reminder of how Bruins have fared against their round-robin tournament opponents

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
A reminder of how Bruins have fared against their round-robin tournament opponents

On the surface, the Bruins would be the team with the most to lose under that plan. At the time the league went on break, they had an eight-point lead over the Tampa Bay Lightning for the top seed in the Eastern Conference with 12 regular-season games to play. Barring a catastrophic finish, they were well on their way to locking up the No. 1 seed.

Now they could lose that in just three games. But, it's worth pointing out that there are a couple reasons to not get too hung up on that. One is that all indications are that the playoffs will now take place in hub cities -- likely one per conference -- without fans in attendance, so the entire concept of home-ice advantage goes right out the window.

Another is that none of those top four seeds, including the Bruins, want to go into the conference quarterfinals cold, especially since their opponent will have just played a best-of-five play-in series. Scrimmage games wouldn't bring the type of intensity it takes to get ready for playoff hockey, so this round-robin tournament is one way to ensure those top four seeds play meaningful games before their first series.

Finally, there's no guarantee that anyone's play is going to be reflective of their seeding anyway. There's no precedent for teams returning from a three-and-a-half or four-month break, getting probably three weeks of training camp, and then going right into playoff hockey. The team that was the eighth-best team in the conference before the break -- and therefore presumably the preferred opponent for the top seed -- could very well return from this break playing much better or much worse than what their seed would indicate.

All that said, the Bruins would still rather win this round-robin tournament and hang onto their No. 1 seed than not. With that in mind, it's a worthwhile exercise to take a look back at how Boston has fared against the East's other top-four seeds -- the Lightning, Washington Capitals and Philadelphia Flyers -- this season.

Lightning

Oct. 17: 4-3 shootout loss
Dec. 12: 3-2 loss
March 3: 2-1 win
March 7: 5-3 loss

Capitals
Nov. 16: 3-2 shootout loss
Dec. 11: 3-2 loss
Dec. 23: 7-3 win

Flyers
Nov. 10: 3-2 shootout loss
Jan. 15: 6-5 shootout loss
March 10: 2-0 win

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
New season, past doesn’t matter

Those were the before times. The grass was greener then.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
New season, past doesn’t matter

Those were the before times. The grass was greener then.

Yes it will be another season that could be over in 10 days or 2 months

BUT - The Bruins most likely will benefit from what could be FOUR months off. The unknown is playing in an empty arena. The NHL is planning to make each team's home game sound familiar with the local PA, DJ and organist being piped in remotely.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
I've always thought that the psychology of "home ice" and loud crowds was a little bit overblown. Can't you turn it on its head and say that visiting teams can get energy from a loud crowd, too? Even the advantage of "sleeping in your own bed when you're the home team" seems to be a little off, because didn't the Bruins stay at Encore last year at some point for focus?

But home ice having last change...now THAT I can see as a strategic advantage. But even then, if you ignore all psychological aspects (building momentum, etc.), the only time home ice really "matters" is when the series goes to seven games...and even then, you have to assume that home ice was what made the difference between a team winning or losing the last game.

Seeding to me is meaningless. I kind of agree with CDJ - these teams aren't going to be the same. Some will age like wine, while others will age like milk left in the car during the summertime. International players have extra hurdles, although I've heard that there's going to be exceptions to allowing players to come in without quarantining. I'm not quite sure how I feel about that.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Yes it will be another season that could be over in 10 days or 2 months

BUT - The Bruins most likely will benefit from what could be FOUR months off. The unknown is playing in an empty arena. The NHL is planning to make each team's home game sound familiar with the local PA, DJ and organist being piped in remotely.

agreed, I think this break could honestly do wonders for guys like Marchand, Bergeron, and chara. I think they will benefit more than the younger teams

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida
Regardless of whatever type of a format they come up with for this makeshift playoff format this season everyone in the hockey world knows that the Bruins were the regular season champions, or in all likelihood would have been, had the season been completed.

That said, the league has to decide on a playoff format and the Bruins just have to focus on winning the tournament regardless where they may be seeded. The Bruins have one of the best teams in the league and it's just a matter of getting up to speed, getting in sync, and going out and getting the job done.

If we can learn anything from recent playoff history where a team finishes, whether it be first in their division, or first overall in the league matters very little. When the playoffs start the best team is going to advance, or in many cases, the team that plays the best will advance. All teams are going to face the same obstacles, difficulties, and unknowns. In this scenario I'm going to guess that teams that consists of players with high integrity/character, talent, and desire - combined with players who maintained a rigorous workout training program during the downtime will have the greatest advantage to advance.

Reactions: Ritmo and BMC

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida
agreed, I think this break could honestly do wonders for guys like Marchand, Bergeron, and chara. I think they will benefit more than the younger teams

My greatest concern is that Rask can find his grove quickly. Wish he had ten or twelve games to get going, but it is what it is ... and will be for all teams.

Reactions: BMC and Wiggleboom

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
agreed, I think this break could honestly do wonders for guys like Marchand, Bergeron, and Chara. I think they will benefit more than the younger teams

This format has flaws but I think we will see a weighted format in the East that keeps the Bruins as the #1 seed no matter what happens in the round-robin because of their lead.

The West is a little dicier as there is no clear separation between #1 and #2 and #4 and #5

The bottom line is will people watch? - OF COURSE WE WILL

upload_2020-5-24_3-48-0.png

upload_2020-5-24_3-49-43.png

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
The important question is if the game roster is limited to playoff eligible players only in the round robin? Given preference, I'd rather have someone or someones on the fourth line signed on with the sole intention of spearing Tom Wilson in the groin.

Reactions: BMC and HockeyMomx2

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
This format has flaws but I think we will see a weighted format in the East that keeps the Bruins as the #1 seed no matter what happens in the round-robin because of their lead.

The West is a little dicier as there is no clear separation between #1 and #2 and #4 and #5

The bottom line is will people watch? - OF COURSE WE WILL

View attachment 347360

View attachment 347361
I dont personally understand (from the formats I've seen) why the top seed will play winner of 9 and 8th seed, while the 2nd 3rd and 4th seed all have a chance to player lower seeds.

However I would literally watch any format they throw at us at this point.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
At this point They could tell us that the bruins need to win 30 games straight while the rest of the league only needs 2 and I’d be like “yep, sounds great. Can’t wait”

member 96824

Better tweak that all of those three.
Added talent at the deadline
Fresh legs for Bergeron, Chara, Krejci, and others that have gone into playoffs banged up in the past

giphy.gif

Reactions: BMC

Wiggleboom

Feb 6, 2010
Vancouver
I hope the Bruins go all out in these games while still rolling 4 lines and 3 D-pairs. Need to get everyone ready with enough playing time and need to get the intensity level up. Whoever they play in the next round will already be at maximum intensity after playing in elimination games.

I would expect the Bruins to lose the first game in the next round no matter who they play against. I would then hope that gets them revved up to match the intensity in game 2.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad