A realistic, potential roster 3 years from now?

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
I think the rebuild process will need more than 3 years to get us a a "feasible core to be successful".

Expect to see some journeyman / reclamation-project type players. In only three years we could easily still have a couple of cap-dump type guys left over from the tear down.

Bickell - Kadri - Hodgson
JVR - Strome - Overpaid aging UFA on short term deal
Leivo - Holland - Clarkson
Komarov - Gauthier - Leipisic

Rielly - Stop gap D or trade return
Gardiner - Tyutin
Percy - Mark Stewart

Bernier
Pavalec

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Then we end up having Phaneuf and Kessel teaching McDavid and O'Reilly how to play lazy, uncaring, collapse worthy hockey! :rant:

Not a good plan to keep Phaneuf and Kessel, IMHO. :shakehead

If we get Mcdavid Keeping Kessel is an outstanding idea

JVR Mcdavid Kessel? Oh hell ya

13pacheco31

Jan 17, 2014
Then we end up having Phaneuf and Kessel teaching McDavid and O'Reilly how to play lazy, uncaring, collapse worthy hockey! :rant:

Not a good plan to keep Phaneuf and Kessel, IMHO. :shakehead

O'Reilly is already an established 2 way forward, you're not gonna change that. That'd be the point in bringing him in so as to mitigate any damage kessel may do and to keep him off kessel's line

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
No Bibeau or Brown? Hard to see either of those two not becoming NHLers at this point.

Yeah forgot about Brown, but Bibeau? I haven't watched a ton of Marlie games this year, but with how hard it is to predict goaltenders futures, is it really safe to say "hard to see Bibeau not becoming an NHLer... I mean it'd be great if true, but I just find it hard to believe after only his first pro season.

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
This looks almost identical to what I would predict. Hopefully we get McDavid, and I think we would play Nylander on the RW. I want Ritchie for the LW if we can get him from Kessel's return. And I can see Leivo on the third line, rather than fourth. I like Komarov as a 4th line checker.

EDIT: Oh, I should post mine.

Nylander - McDavid/2015 pick - Haul from Kessel (Hoping for Ritchie; the good one)
Van Riemsdyk - Kadri - Brown
Leivo - Gauthier - Leipsic
Komarov - Carrick - Kozun

Rielly - Chychrun (we'll be in the running for him)
Gardiner - Percy
Valiev - Finn (I think Valiev has top 4 potential though based on his amazing WJC play)

Bernier
Bibeau

Assumed Kessel brings back a blue chip prospect and a 1st round pick and we get either a 1st for Phaneuf or a 2nd and prospect.
This is pretty vague. I'm assuming that you mean Nick? Based on draft position or looking uncoordinated amongst top players in the WJC? They're both good prospects but I'm not sure that either would be considered blue chip. I guess it wouldn't be completely out of the question to land Nick in a Kessel trade and Brett in a Phaneuf trade.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
JVR - 2015 1st rounder - Nylander
Leivo - Kadri - Brown
Komarov - Holland - Leipsic
Rupert - Gauthier - Carrick
Clarkson

Rielly - Kessel trade return
Gardiner - 2016 1st rounder
Percy - Loov
Granberg/Nilsson/Valiev

Bernier
Bibeau

Ideally I'd want Nylander playing center, but I needed Kadri somewhere, the Phaneuf return would probably be in there somewhere as well, along with our Nashville 1st rounder who might be NHL ready by then, maybe.

Rupert on the 4th line could be Biggs, could be Leipsic with Verhaghe on the 3rd, really those prospects on the bottom 2 lines depend on how everyone develops. Panik might be in there somewhere as well, but who knows where or if.

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
The thread goes to show predicting future outcomes (especially three years out) is such a hard feat. I couldn't imagine our team being what it is today three years ago.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
The thread goes to show predicting future outcomes (especially three years out) is such a hard feat. I couldn't imagine our team being what it is today three years ago.

Hey! I was pretty close. I wanted Marner over Strome but didn't know which way the Leafs would lean, I tried being as realistic as possible. It's awesome to know that "2016 first round pick" became Auston Matthews and UFA acquisitions became JOHN TAVARES!

That's impossible to tell so I'll just guess our core players:

Marner/Strome, Nylander, Kadri, Rielly, Bernier, 2016 1st round pick, JvR*

Rest of team: Made up of young players like Connor Brown, Leivo, returns from Kessel/Phaneuf trades and UFA acquisitions.

*not 100% sure if he'll be around

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
I give the loudest applause to the guy that had AJ on his roster:handclap: I tip my cap to you sir

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
Wow this is great.

Not chirping the OP at all because this is so difficult, but looking at the roster in the OP to what we have now is just amazing.

Nylander - 2015 1st Round Pick - *Kessel trade return
Van Reimsdyk - Kadri - Brown/Panik/2016 1st Round Pick
Komarov - Gauthier - Leipsic
Leivo - Carrick - Kozun/Panik

ext. A.Johnson, UFA

Marleau - Matthews - Nylander
Hyman - Tavares - Marner
Johnsson - Kadri - Kapanen
Ennis - Lindholm - Brown

The difference in C and RW depth in particular is just amazing.

Reactions: FADYB

Chief keefe

Sep 27, 2015
Mississauga
Wow this is great.

Not chirping the OP at all because this is so difficult, but looking at the roster in the OP to what we have now is just amazing.

Nylander - 2015 1st Round Pick - *Kessel trade return
Van Reimsdyk - Kadri - Brown/Panik/2016 1st Round Pick
Komarov - Gauthier - Leipsic
Leivo - Carrick - Kozun/Panik

ext. A.Johnson, UFA

Marleau - Matthews - Nylander
Hyman - Tavares - Marner
Johnsson - Kadri - Kapanen
Ennis - Lindholm - Brown

The difference in C and RW depth in particular is just amazing.

Scary ay? I am so happy.. I completely forgot how bad it was at one point... I have blocked those years out...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad