A&R Shin Straps vs Sleeve ???

MD56

Feb 2, 2015
Hi,

I'm over buying shin tape every other week. LHS has both the A&R Shin straps and the A&R Shin sleeves. Both have solid reviews, anyone have a preference? I've been sort of leaning towards the straps just for the fact that you can adjust them, and i like my shins pretty tight. On the other hand, the sleeves have great reviews and seem to be more popular from what i'm seeing.

Anyway, any suggestions either way would be appreciated.

Last edited:

Goonzilla

Welcome to my house!
Feb 18, 2014
The rink ..too often
I've got both, but use neither. I thought the sleeve concept looked great, but didn't like them when I used them. They pretty much negated any breath ability or 'moisture wicking'? I was just drenched around that area like I dipped my legs in a pool.

The straps I've used more and found them good, but haven't bothered with them for a while.

I don't use sock tape or anything at present and haven't found any problems, while some guys just about mummify themselves with the stuff.

Interested if anyone else doesn't bother with sock tape, straps or whatever?

jlt73

Jan 21, 2016
Noblesville, Indiana
I use the shin straps and I like them.

Any shin pad I've tried on, I couldn't get the calf area straps to fit, so I opted for the shin straps and it works like a charm!

MD56

Feb 2, 2015
Update...

I got impatient and decided to pull the trigger on the sleeves. Those had more reviews and everyone pretty much raved about them from what I could read.

I used them for pickup on saturday and have to say I was pretty satisfied. They were a little tough to put on, but i probably just need to work out the technique. I also didnt like the fact that I have to put my shins on now before my skates... hard to change a routine when you've been doing in the same way for years.

That said, i think the best review I can give is that I forget about them about 30 seconds after hitting the rink. I felt exactly the same as I would have if I had taped them on. Snug, didnt move at all and they were perfectly comfortable.

Two big thumbs up!

10coach*

Feb 21, 2014
Haven't heard of players using the shin tights as they are pretty much meant for referees from keeping the pant being caught up in the tongue but if it works for you thats fine.

MD56

Feb 2, 2015
Haven't heard of players using the shin tights as they are pretty much meant for referees from keeping the pant being caught up in the tongue but if it works for you thats fine.

I think Shin tights might be a different thing.

Jul 31, 2005
CA
There is also a company called Vital Nation in Canada that sells hockey socks that fit nice and snug and you won't need sock tape. I have 2 pairs and always wear them, the rest of my socks sit in my closet.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Here's a vote for shin pads with proper strapping- Easton Stealths work great for me. I always thought that any pad that required tape or a strap on the outside of the sock was just a complete failure on the equipment designer's part. We're long past the era of newspapers taped under socks, what the hell are the equipment designers doing that modern pads need to be taped in place?

RockTheRed8

Mar 4, 2016
Virginia
Here's a vote for shin pads with proper strapping- Easton Stealths work great for me. I always thought that any pad that required tape or a strap on the outside of the sock was just a complete failure on the equipment designer's part. We're long past the era of newspapers taped under socks, what the hell are the equipment designers doing that modern pads need to be taped in place?

Agreed, I have Eastons as well(Mako M5) and mine fit just fine with the velcro straps, the only thing I tape at all is my elbow pads and I plan on replacing them soon with some I hopefully won't need to tape.

elmariachi227

Aug 27, 2012
Cleveland
I'll be looking into shin straps. The knee strap on my shin pads is made of nylon webbing and does not stretch. It is very uncomfortable when I tighten it up, and chafes the skin.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad