A question about skates

benefactor*

I was looking at hockey skates the other day, and I saw a pair of skates ( I believe made by Mission, but don't hold me to that) that looked really nice and were black and neon green....being the idiot that I am i didn't bookmark the page or anything....can any of you guys point me in the right direction as to where to find skates matching this description?

benefactor*

I'm not doing this to bump my own thread, but I had another question that was somewhat related to my first one. I'm looking to start playing hockey and to do that obviously I have to get on the ice and build up my skating skills. What do you guys recommend as a starter skate? Let's say my upper spending limit is 100-125. I know later on I may have to get something more expensive but I can't justify doing it right now.

brymel

Feb 9, 2007
Wish I could help, but for my son there are two things I don't save money on...his skates and his helmet. Check some of the online hockey stores... such as hockey monkey. Sometimes they will have last years skates for a bit cheaper.

benefactor*

I'm not looking to get skates at a discount; I'm looking for a good starter skate which would presumably be less expensive.

golfortennis

Oct 25, 2007
each skate manufacturer has an entry level model. What you need to find out first is which one fits your foot best. Myself it has been CCM, I find Bauer and Nike to be a little too narrow, but you may find differently. You really need to find the best skate for you. I made the mistake of going cheap my first skates, and within 6 months I was spending a whole lot more on a good pair. Get the best skates you can.

If you are really looking to learn, you will want comfortale skates because you are going to need to be out on the ice a lot, and comfy skates will make all the difference.

The Devil In I

Jun 28, 2005
Chicago
I'm not looking to get skates at a discount; I'm looking for a good starter skate which would presumably be less expensive.

hockeyworld.com

They sell loads of old model, never bought skates, for discount prices. I bought a pair of Mission Amp Flyweight skates that were originally $400 (back in like 2003) for $109. So you can get skates that were top of the line a few years ago for entry level price.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
I'm not doing this to bump my own thread, but I had another question that was somewhat related to my first one. I'm looking to start playing hockey and to do that obviously I have to get on the ice and build up my skating skills. What do you guys recommend as a starter skate? Let's say my upper spending limit is 100-125. I know later on I may have to get something more expensive but I can't justify doing it right now.

You should be able to find a very good used skate in that price range if you can find a used skate shop that has a good selection in your size range.This is generally a lot easier the smaller your feet are as kids move through those size ranges as there feet get bigger leaving nice skates behind them.

Make sure they are good quality/not broken down and have enough blade left to last you.

Often they will have a good credit/return policy that is not possible with new skates so you can try them out.

benefactor*

You should be able to find a very good used skate in that price range if you can find a used skate shop that has a good selection in your size range.This is generally a lot easier the smaller your feet are as kids move through those size ranges as there feet get bigger leaving nice skates behind them.

Make sure they are good quality/not broken down and have enough blade left to last you.

Often they will have a good credit/return policy that is not possible with new skates so you can try them out.

I'm not crazy about the idea of used skates....I'm also not a kid, I wear a shoe size 12-12.5.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
I'm not crazy about the idea of used skates....I'm also not a kid, I wear a shoe size 12-12.5.

Best bang for your buck, especially in that price range. But the number of skates available in your size range would be very limited and/or mostly worn out skates.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad